African hair...

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
TMda
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:52 am

African hair...

Postby TMda » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:20 am

Hi guys, I've been in Peru for 2 months now and I wanted to ask whether any of you guys know any stores where the sell products for African hair (natural afro textured hair). And do any of you know where I could redo my braids?
Thanks so much guys
: )


User avatar
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pimentel Beach-Chiclayo- Sanford NC
Contact:

Re: African hair...

Postby tupacperu » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:26 pm

You would have to probably go to a heavily populated Afro-Peruvian neighborhood. The closes to Lima is Callao or further south Chincha. In the North ZANA. You may want to go to a Salon and ask. We usually have to bring this kind of stuff from Miami, FL for my wife's family (kinky hair) like Olive oil spray.

Might be a good niche business in the Afro-Peruvian community


https://www.facebook.com/inga.callao.peru

https://www.facebook.com/events/165172663650567/
TMda
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:52 am

Re: African hair...

Postby TMda » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:01 pm

Thanks so much, I just met another nigerian here (so I am soooo happy) but I was told exactly the same thing, to go up to Chicha :S Far but it might be worth it
Thanks xx
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: African hair...

Postby panman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:23 am

TMda wrote:Thanks so much, I just met another nigerian here (so I am soooo happy) but I was told exactly the same thing, to go up to Chicha :S Far but it might be worth it
Thanks xx

If you do go to Chincha and feel hungry, take time to visit El Refugio De Mamaine in the district of El Carmen, they might even point you in the right direction for your hair products as well as serving up some superb food and entertainment.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.ar/Restauran ... egion.html
User avatar
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: African hair...

Postby metal moth » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:51 am

There's a large mural of a Afro-Peruvian as you ride into Chincha.
Hair care products can be found at the store there.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: Surquillo

Re: African hair...

Postby Philipc4u59 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:40 pm

I may be missing this sign, as I go thru Chincha almost every month to Ica.
I also have a friend that finds it difficult to get products for his kinky hair (not African heritage).

Best wishes,
Philip :roll:
28 de julio
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:55 pm

Re: African hair...

Postby 28 de julio » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Plaza Vea sell a hair wax although I'm not sure it's the kind of product you're after, but it's very good if your hair goes frizzy in Lima's humid winter.
TMda
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:52 am

Re: African hair...

Postby TMda » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:36 am

Thanks so much guys,
What's the quickest and cheapest way to get to Chinca? :)
User avatar
LDX
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:54 pm

Re: African hair...

Postby LDX » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:06 pm

You can either use Soyuz or Flores...

http://www.soyuz.com.pe/
http://www.floreshnos.net/

A cheap way to go by Soyuz Cheaper
is to take the bus at montevideo street
Drivers pick up passengers and charge less
if they take the bus outside of the station

But If you are going by yourself u better keep it simple
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: Lima, Peru

Re: African hair...

Postby argidd » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:43 pm

And be careful! Those Soyuz buses are always getting robbed in Cañete!
Flores isn't much better...
Regards,

Argidd
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: African hair...

Postby panman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:48 pm

If there is such thing as a best option when it comes to coach travel, I'd go with Cruz Del Sur.
I know they run to Ica, but you'd have to check if they stop at Chincha.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: Lima, Peru

Re: African hair...

Postby argidd » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:33 pm

panman wrote:If there is such thing as a best option when it comes to coach travel, I'd go with Cruz Del Sur.
I know they run to Ica, but you'd have to check if they stop at Chincha.


Last I knew, they don't. Soyuz and Flores are the only option... CdS stops in Paracas and then Ica, and Nazca...
Regards,

Argidd
User avatar
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:22 pm
Location: Lima
Contact:

Re: African hair...

Postby curlyguy18 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:17 pm

I get my hair cornrowed in Barranco. There's also a barbershop in Pueblo libre where they do braids as well. (Not sure about products for African hair)

Jr.
User avatar
LDX
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:54 pm

Re: African hair...

Postby LDX » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:23 pm

Well, my mom travels there every month, not really sure if those are gettin robed
since the distance is kinda short.... But perhaps my mom is not the best example
that lady was in the center of the earthquake back in 2007...

BTW is not that chincha is crowded of african folks, I think for that u need to travel
up to "El Carmen"... That's where the fun is going on, mostly if you share sometime
with the Ballumbrosio family, well known people in the music bizness (here in Perú)
They are really really friendly

I spent a few days with them back in 2004... Good memories
User avatar
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pimentel Beach-Chiclayo- Sanford NC
Contact:

Re: African hair...

Postby tupacperu » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:33 am

Chicha is now more Metizo than Afro. Callao is your best bet and no far to travel.
The majority lives in the Peruvian regions of Lima and Callao but there are also large communities in the regions of Ica, Lambayeque and Piura. In Callao they live in the districts of Carmen de la Legua, Ventanilla and Cercado, where migrated from the south and northern Peru. Within the city of Lima, blacks live in different areas but particularly in the district of Puente Piedra, Chorrillos, Rimac, La Victoria, Azcona, Surquillo, Villa Maria del Triunfo, San Juan de Miraflores, Villa El Salvador, Pamplona, San Martin de Porres and San Miguel.
WBillSmith
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: African hair...

Postby WBillSmith » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:55 pm

TMda wrote:Hi guys, I've been in Peru for 2 months now and I wanted to ask whether any of you guys know any stores where the sell products for African hair (natural afro textured hair). And do any of you know where I could redo my braids?
Thanks so much guys
: )


Hi,
I would like to put you in touch with an Afro-Peruvian civil rights worker who has braids, just like her sister. But before I do, I need to know that you are reading this being that I just joined and my post is so late.

Bill
[email protected]
Bill Smith
WBillSmith
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: African hair...

Postby WBillSmith » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:59 pm

tupacperu wrote:Chicha is now more Metizo than Afro. Callao is your best bet and no far to travel.
The majority lives in the Peruvian regions of Lima and Callao but there are also large communities in the regions of Ica, Lambayeque and Piura. In Callao they live in the districts of Carmen de la Legua, Ventanilla and Cercado, where migrated from the south and northern Peru. Within the city of Lima, blacks live in different areas but particularly in the district of Puente Piedra, Chorrillos, Rimac, La Victoria, Azcona, Surquillo, Villa Maria del Triunfo, San Juan de Miraflores, Villa El Salvador, Pamplona, San Martin de Porres and San Miguel.


Thanks for all those referrals. I've been to Perú many times, but spent most of my time in Chincha, and you are right. It is now predominately Mestizo with the exception of the District of El Carmen, which is where I plan to move upon retirement.
Bill Smith
User avatar
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1561
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: African hair...

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:55 am

Near "El Carmen" is the "Ex-hacienda San Jose" .. it is now a touristic place to visit and see how it was the past time in Lima when the "hacendados" where the owner of the land

I went into the catacombs.. and saw the nice arquitecture of the place..
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: African hair...

Postby panman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:02 am

windsportinperu wrote:Near "El Carmen" is the "Ex-hacienda San Jose" .. it is now a touristic place to visit and see how it was the past time in Lima when the "hacendados" where the owner of the land

I went into the catacombs.. and saw the nice arquitecture of the place..

The history of San Jose is a bit gruesome, based on slavery, but the building itself is a fine piece of architecture and was declared a national monument in 1970.
It's been fully restored after the earquake damage several years ago and is now also open as a hotel.
Not a lot to do there, but it's a nice place to stay over, for a day or two, and just relax in the fresh air. Then there's El Refugio de Mamaine, a great authentic Criollo restaurant just a short drive away, en route to the hacienda from the main highway, well worth a visit.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register