calidad migratoria Inmigrante

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

calidad migratoria Inmigrante

Postby mammamia » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:30 pm

Hello,

I've been residing in Peru for three years. My "calidad migratoria" is "familiar de residente". I just came back from Lima ( I live in the province): was gettind my "prorroga anual" sticker. It was a real mess this time: instead of one day as last year it took me almost a week! First, I didn't know one had to apply for a "cita" online, second, they don't issue the sticker the same day as they used to do. Staying in Lima for 6 days waiting for the sticker was too much for me this time.

In DIGEMIN I was told that I could apply for "cambio de calidad migratorio" to "inmigrante" in order not to come to Lima twice each year to get my TAE and prorroga stickers.

I have a question: what benefits would I get if I switched to "inmigrante" status? Are "inmigrantes" exonerated from foreigners' tax and annual renewal thing?

Thank you in anticipation.

Michelle95

Re: calidad migratoria Inmigrante

Postby Michelle95 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:44 pm

I have the same question. Does anyone have information about this?
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:39 am

The benefit of changing your immigration status to inmigrante is very simple: while your carné with residente de familiar status is only valid for one year and therefore has to be extended each year, being on an inmigrante status your carné is valid for an indefinite period, so no more prorrogas.

As I'm married to a Peruvian and living here for 7 years now, I was thinking of changing my immigration status to inmigrante. The requirements are quite easy to fulfill (have a look here http://www.migraciones.gob.pe/index.php ... igratoria/) except for one at least for me: you have to prove a yearly income of 10 UITs (2013 S/. 37,000, by the way more than Rentistas have to have) while the Peruvian spouse additionally has to sign a carta de garantia (nobody could explain why you have to have an income of your own and additionally the guarantee from your spouse; doesn't make sense to me). But anyway I don't have an income and therefore can't change my status and it seems that Peru doesn't offer spouses of Peruvians a granted permanent residence without income. So for me that means more yearly prorrogas.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:00 pm

sunflower wrote:The benefit of changing your immigration status to inmigrante is very simple: while your carné with residente de familiar status is only valid for one year and therefore has to be extended each year, being on an inmigrante status your carné is valid for an indefinite period, so no more prorrogas.

As I'm married to a Peruvian and living here for 7 years now, I was thinking of changing my immigration status to inmigrante. The requirements are quite easy to fulfill (have a look here http://www.migraciones.gob.pe/index.php ... igratoria/) except for one at least for me: you have to prove a yearly income of 10 UITs (2013 S/. 37,000, by the way more than Rentistas have to have) while the Peruvian spouse additionally has to sign a carta de garantia (nobody could explain why you have to have an income of your own and additionally the guarantee from your spouse; doesn't make sense to me). But anyway I don't have an income and therefore can't change my status and it seems that Peru doesn't offer spouses of Peruvians a granted permanent residence without income. So for me that means more yearly prorrogas.

It also turned out to be that inmigrantes are not exonerated from the foreigner's tax. So, anyway, I would have to go to Lima at least once a year to get the sticker or look for someone who could do it for me which is also a headache.
rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgbjr » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:59 pm

Hi I have to pay my foreigners tax do I have to get an appointment online or just pay it at Banco La National and than go to immigration to get the sticker? In the part that says resident it says indefinite so I don't have to do that part.
Thank you
Bobby :D
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:42 pm

Just did my tasa anual for this year at immigrations: no you don't need to have an appointment. Just go there with your carné, a copy of it and the receipt from the Banco de la Nacion, join the queue (from January to March first floor, opposite the Banco de la Nacion counter, rest of the year 3rd floor).

If you are married to a Peruvian you are exonerated from paying the tax, but have to bring: formulario F 007, carné, copy of your carné, recent copy of your marriage certificate, copy of your spouses DNI. The tramite is free of charge and you get the sticker immediately (ok with 49 people in front of me I had to wait today for exactly 1h 35 min until I was finally at the counter).

And while being there anyway I once again asked about the requirements for a change to inmigrante. No way around the 10 UITs yearly income, even though your spouse has to sign the guarantee. And I was told that when doing the yearly tasa with a visa inmigrante you have to proof this income each year over again. And Peru really has no other granted permanent residency for foreigners that live here with their Peruvian spouses but don't work. I just can't believe it. :(
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:17 pm

And I was told that when doing the yearly tasa with a visa inmigrante you have to proof this income each year over again. And Peru really has no other granted permanent residency for foreigners that live here with their Peruvian spouses but don't work. I just can't believe it. :([/quote]

Then I'd better stick to my "Familiar de Residente" status. Looks like it'll be less hassle than proving my income each year.

Thanks for the info.
rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgbjr » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:32 pm

Hi Sunflower
Thank you for the reply.
Bobby :D
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:06 am

And Peru really has no other granted permanent residency for foreigners that live here with their Peruvian spouses but don't work. I just can't believe it.

Well they do let you become a Peruvian, although I realise that might not be suitable for everyone.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:40 am

sunflower wrote:The benefit of changing your immigration status to inmigrante is very simple: while your carné with residente de familiar status is only valid for one year and therefore has to be extended each year, being on an inmigrante status your carné is valid for an indefinite period, so no more prorrogas.

When you do have income, more income taxes to pay :).
Also a lot easier to become a Peruvian citizen in the long run. You are free to travel and do not have to denounce your citicenship to your home country.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:11 am

Getting Peruvian citizenship isn't an option for me: first of all as German it's not that easy applying for a second nationality, generally speaking (there are a few exceptions) Germany doesn't allow dual citizenship and second, sorry, but I don't feel like a Peruvian and couldn't become one.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:24 pm

sunflower wrote:Getting Peruvian citizenship isn't an option for me: first of all as German it's not that easy applying for a second nationality, generally speaking (there are a few exceptions) Germany doesn't allow dual citizenship and second, sorry, but I don't feel like a Peruvian and couldn't become one.

Exactly! Why do so many people think changing nationality or applying for a dual citizenship is a perfect way out of all the problems they ecounter in Peru while on a tourist or resident visa?

Sunflower, I feel exactly the same way: my country's constitution doesn't allow dual citizenship but, as we know, every law has a loophole and I could use one of those and get a Peruvian passport but I don't want that because I don't believe I will ever be able to become Peruvian even though this country gave me a lot and will definitely give me more in the future.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register