Breaking Bad

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Breaking Bad

Postby sbaustin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:55 pm

As far as I know the show is not shown on cable here or at least not the currently showing final season. I'd love to be proven wrong!

Anyone else like the show?

http://www.amctv.com/shows/breaking-bad

Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby Alpineprince » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:16 pm

I saw the first two seasons and enjoyed it. I bought a "box set" but never watched it (do not remember how many seasons). Suggest you go to Polvos Azules and pick up the final season. The same thing happened with "True Blood".
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Actually the first four seasons are on Netflix so that's easy enough just I would rather watch it live instead of having to download or go to polvos. In any case season four and five are quite good.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:48 pm

I watched the first two seasons as well and a few episodes here and there afterwards. Great show. After I finish watching 'The Wire,' which I just picked up on DVD and haven't seen in years, I plan on watching 'Breaking Bad,' beginning to end. Sorry I can't help with availability information. Currently don't have a Netflix subscription. Is the availability of programming the same as it is in the states?

Polvos Azules? Don't live in Lima. Guessing its a market with mucho movies and television series on DVD?
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:53 pm

sbaustin wrote:Actually the first four seasons are on Netflix so that's easy enough just I would rather watch it live instead of having to download or go to polvos. In any case season four and five are quite good.

Yeah, it's on Netflix. So's Madmen, but no sign of Walking Dead yet on the international show. It was on cable here, but I missed it.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:37 am

Apologies if hijacking thread on Breaking Bad, but you can stream every episode of Walking Dead Season 3 (no downloads, no surveys or giving info) on walkingdeadseason3.net. IMHO, BB is the far superior show, WD is a diversionary guilty pleasure, but I have a fondness for the apocalyptical/zombie genre, though not a fan of horror in general.

PS - Did a little research and found out about Polvos Azules. Pardon my laziness.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:25 am

ironchefchris, I've watched and enjoyed both breaking bad and walking dead, but I do agree with you. BB is a much better show although drama and zombies are completely different genres and are enjoyable too. I actually watched BB first and thought my wife would hate the show based on the content, but she really got into it.

There is a Polvo Azules (downtown) and a Polvo Rosados (Surco). I rarely go to azules just due to time more than anything.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:05 am

If you like drama, and don't mind drawn out stories that take their time to get where they're going but are well worth the journey, I highly recommend 'The Wire.' Just started rewatching the first season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wire

It's just so good.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:09 am

Thanks for the recommendation. After BB and Dexter complete I'll need to look for something new to fill the hole in my tv viewing time. Even better if it is on netflix.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:21 am

The Wire and BrBa are my favorite shows of all time. I am nearly certain BrBa is only available in Canada and the US as live broadcasts. Even Europe waits 24 hours to watch it on Netflix (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/breaki ... 23703.html).

If you want a high definition (or at least decent quality) live broadcast of BrBa from Peru I think the best option is a Slingbox. Especially if you want to connect to your TV and watch full screen. I just can't watch great these great shows on crappy malware laden streams or compressed AVI files anymore. At the very least I would wait 12 hours and download a 720p version.

*** A more expensive option is getting yourself a DirecTV account from Puerto Rico or Virgin Islands and also an account here in Peru. After they install your dish in Peru just hook up your Puerto Rico receiver. This is expensive and inconvenient but it is an option. You can also do this with an APO address if you work at the US Embassy or are military/diplomat. DirecTV (in the US) will mail you the equipment to your APO address. I use to have a spreadsheet of channels they offered a couple years back and it had AMC and all US networks. Too bad I did not work at the embassy but my friend did.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:44 pm

What means "breaking bad" ? I can't understand this idiomatic expression..
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:52 pm

windsportinperu wrote:What means "breaking bad" ? I can't understand this idiomatic expression..

From wikipedia:
"The title of the series comes from the American Southwest slang phrase "to break bad," meaning to challenge conventions, to defy authority and to skirt the edges of the law. The series is set in (and is shot in and near) Albuquerque, New Mexico."
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:54 pm

I grabbed this off the Internet -

Breaking Bad is a colloquialism originally peculiar to the American Southwest (e.g., New Mexico) that means straying from the righteous path into darker, murkier avenues where the lines of right and wrong become inexorably less clear. Thanks to the TV show, the term Breaking Bad, as with bounce (as in, "Yo, bounce, dude!") have become parts of the world lexicon and should appear in the next edition of the Oxford English Dictionary.

Well 'Breaking Bad' means going to the dark side, essentially leaving behind your morals and becoming an evil person or a person who has no regard for morality.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:37 pm

Thanks Arroz-con-Pollo and IronChefChris

Now it has more sense. I saw the trailer and it is about a chemist who is a family's father Suddenly he is informed that a deadly cancer is going to ends with his life. So he decide to become a drug producer to ensure the financial stability of his family. It is a good drama.. I wil try to get some cds and see more about it..
LDX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby LDX » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:59 am

I have downloaded BB latest episode thru' piratebay/torrent (about 15 minutes download)

Netflix only has 4 seasons, but for the first half of the 5th season
I used a site called cuevana (movies and TV shows)
no ads, no banners, and at least BB is in english
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:11 pm

For a couple weeks Netflix had the first part of season 5 then it disappeared. It is sad that our only option besides waiting for years is to torrent (or use something like cuevana) or polvo the show.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:07 pm

ironchefchris wrote:I watched the first two seasons as well and a few episodes here and there afterwards. Great show. After I finish watching 'The Wire,' which I just picked up on DVD and haven't seen in years, I plan on watching 'Breaking Bad,' beginning to end. Sorry I can't help with availability information. Currently don't have a Netflix subscription. Is the availability of programming the same as it is in the states?

Polvos Azules? Don't live in Lima. Guessing its a market with mucho movies and television series on DVD?

The Wire being one of the great series ever, true dat. By the way, Chris, Netflix is free for your first month, so take it out and then chuck if there's not enough on it you like and do what you did before and stream off sites you trust. By the way, if you want to use the US Netflix or any other service, because there's often more choice, it's pretty easy to do, but I'm guessing you already know that.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:54 pm

I'm aware, but being the flojito I often am, I haven't bothered to do the proxy server thing. This could be a good incentive.

Started the first season of 'The Wire' and my Peruvian wife is so into it we watched five episodes the first night. Just about every Peruana I know likes watching police procedurals, such as CSI, NCIS, etc, but hardly any guys. Any luck on finding the fifth season of BrBa?
LDX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby LDX » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:22 pm

easier than proxy is http://hola.org/

pretty easy to setup and only for chrome
I wonder if it works with HULU
moonglow365

Postby moonglow365 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks for the Hola link! I was afraid of using a proxy or something similar. This looks safe.

By the way, they air Breaking Bad on AXN. A couple of days ago they started from the first episode, in order to prepare for the last season. It's channel 20 on Movistar TV.
LDX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby LDX » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:59 pm

moonglow365 wrote:Thanks for the Hola link! I was afraid of using a proxy or something similar. This looks safe.

By the way, they air Breaking Bad on AXN. A couple of days ago they started from the first episode, in order to prepare for the last season. It's channel 20 on Movistar TV.

Glad to be useful....!

I'm rediscovering netflix, cos' I was about to drop it....
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:29 pm

LDX wrote:
moonglow365 wrote:Thanks for the Hola link! I was afraid of using a proxy or something similar. This looks safe.

Glad to be useful....!

I got netflix a couple years ago and it didn't have a huge selection, but now I think it is well worth the $7 a month. Yesterday I saw the new Halle Berry movie on it where she is a 911 operator which came out in March in the USA but I think only recently launched here (I only recall seeing some previews for it so I don't know when it was released here)..
LDX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby LDX » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:32 pm

sbaustin wrote:
LDX wrote:

Glad to be useful....!

I got netflix a couple years ago and it didn't have a huge selection, but now I think it is well worth the $7 a month. Yesterday I saw the new Halle Berry movie on it where she is a 911 operator which came out in March in the USA but I think only recently launched here (I only recall seeing some previews for it so I don't know when it was released here)..

actually that Movie (The Call) only appears for me on netflix if I turn off HOLA.ORG
so it is only available for us here in Perú and perhaps other countries outside US

The same happened to me with Games of Thrones, it was available for peru earlier than US thru' Netflix
No Idea why

Perhaps: Its already done :twisted:
Bevildust

Postby Bevildust » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:49 pm

Glad to be useful....! :)
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:05 am

Last night was the series finale. I'm planning on watching the whole series beginning to end so I'm not looking for details, but generally speaking, was it everything you wanted it to be?
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:11 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Last night was the series finale. I'm planning on watching the whole series beginning to end so I'm not looking for details, but generally speaking, was it everything you wanted it to be?

The show was very satisfying from start to finish. The end of seasons 4 and 5a were some of the best finales and the year long wait between 5a and 5b was not fun. Netflix still has 1 - 5a on the Peruvian version.
gringuano
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringuano » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:09 pm

You can watch all the episodes for free on mirabreakingbad.com

It's a Peruvian website.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:17 pm

Jereeeeee!
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:22 pm

Christopher, not exactly what you asked - I've only started watching Breaking Bad myself - but I thought this was interesting.

http://blogs.ft.com/the-world/2013/09/b ... ner-party/

If you can't access it, just create an account and they let you view six free articles a month.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:28 am

http://www.economist.com/news/business/ ... bad-school

And yet more scholarly analysis of Breaking Bad.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:20 pm

Check out http://reddit.com/r/breakingbad if you want to see over analysis in action. It is entertaining to read . Please don't go there if you haven't seen the show, it will ruin it for you.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:18 am

This Friday , Saturday and maybe Sunday those who have AXN cable channel ( channel 20 in movistar cable )can see Breaking bad season finale.
http://la.axn.com/programas
To check the daily programmes of the cable channel You have to chose AXN Andes.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:29 pm

Latin American version of Breaking Bad ('Metastasis') set in Colombia:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/metastasis,103725/
LiveInPeru
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby LiveInPeru » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:02 pm

You can also use the Hola Unblocker to get access to the UK Netflix - It opens up a whole new bunch of options, including all of the final episodes of Breaking Bad.

I'm still devastated from the ending.
LDX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby LDX » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:57 pm

LiveInPeru wrote:You can also use the Hola Unblocker to get access to the UK Netflix - It opens up a whole new bunch of options, including all of the final episodes of Breaking Bad.

I'm still devastated from the ending.

There is still hope

ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:02 pm

Finally got around to watching 'Breaking Bad.' What an incredible show. Didn't think my wife would be into it due to the content but I was wrong. She liked 'The Wire' as well. At first I was a little frustrated with some bad decisions made by certain characters but as time has gone on I see that they're just well thought out character flaws. We all got 'em, but the writers on this show have done an amazing job at artfully exposing them so that these characters are full and complete and not just doing the usual run of the mill dumb things that make you question the whole thing. Has anyone seen 'Metastasis,' the Spanish language version of Breaking Bad that recently started airing on Hulu? I'm curious to see how they compare.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:45 am

ironchefchris wrote:Finally got around to watching 'Breaking Bad.' What an incredible show. Didn't think my wife would be into it due to the content but I was wrong. She liked 'The Wire' as well. At first I was a little frustrated with some bad decisions made by certain characters but as time has gone on I see that they're just well thought out character flaws. We all got 'em, but the writers on this show have done an amazing job at artfully exposing them so that these characters are full and complete and not just doing the usual run of the mill dumb things that make you question the whole thing. Has anyone seen 'Metastasis,' the Spanish language version of Breaking Bad that recently started airing on Hulu? I'm curious to see how they compare.

Yeah, Breaking Bad was a good show. I haven't seen the Spanish language version, but there is a Mexican/Spanish/Colombian series called "La Reina del Sur", which is a kind of similar story about a woman who turns into a successful drug dealer. It was on Peruvian tv a couple of years ago and you can watch it on the Latin American Netflix or on Youtube. It is pretty good.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register