Driver's License 2013

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Driver's License 2013

Postby koplinfamilia » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:29 pm

Has anyone done the process recently? I've been waiting until I get my DNI before starting the process, will that make it any easier? What do I need a copy of, my HS diploma or transcripts? Then what, I have to have them certified here or sent back to the States again? What about this option of validating my NYS license, what form do I use? The embassy says it doesn't issue any forms for this, anyone done it? I guess I can skip the drivers test if I do this... that would be nice!

I also talked with a friend who said he took a class and that excused him from the written portion, anyone know anything about this or have recomendations? Something in Miraflores/Surco?

Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Driver's License 2013

Postby koplinfamilia » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:41 pm

Here is the description listed on the TOURING website for the paper needed to validate a license from the extranjero but where can I get such a thing?
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:44 am

I renewed my drivers licence last June.

I had to pay 38 soles to SAT. Go for a medical exam. (15 soles) Fill out a form and attach my licence to it. Then I had to go on thursday to 'charlas' from 6 to 8 pm at La canchon de municipalidad. It's on the mainroad between downtown Tarapoto and Morales. They gave me a one week temporary licence and got my licence 5 days later.

The licences are now valid for 5 years. Previously, the were valid for only 3 years.

When I got my licence for the first time then I had to pay also 38 soles to SAT, go to the medical exam and go to 'las charlas'. I had to sit an exam and pass at least 16/20. After that, I had to pass a practical exam and got my licence a week later.
No CE was required . Neither diplomas. Anyway, I don't have any diplomas at all, so they couldn't ask me for any. Just the national ID card from your home country or passport if you have one.
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:59 am

Hmmm, I think things are very different where you are Chi-Chi, this is what the official TOURING webpage says I need (hence the questions.) Thanks anyway!
La licencia extranjera puede ser canjeada por una peruana de acuerdo a la clase y categoría equivalente a lo establecido en el reglamento, siempre que la licencia este vigente. Debe presentar lo siguiente requisitos:

1. Certificado de aptitud psicosomática.

2. Certificado emitido por la autoridad competente que expidió la licencia extranjera, acreditando la autenticidad de la misma y la clase de vehículo que autoriza conducir.

3. Examen de reglas de tránsito.

4. Pago por derecho de tramitación.

REQUISITOS:

DNI o CE vigente, original y 1 fotocopia.

Certificado médico de aptitud psicosomática (original y fotocopia).

Certif. Estudios de Secundaria ó Superiores y 01 fotocopia (en caso no esté declarado en la RENIEC). Para los que tienen C. E. es OBLIGATORIO (Si realiza el trámite de exoneración de manejo, presentando los documentos solicitados, no presenta este requisitos).

Rendir examen de Normas de Tránsito en el TACP.

En el caso de rendir examen de normas de tránsito en el TACP, presentar depósito original del Banco Scotiabank ó del BIF por el importe de S/.50.30.

Depósito original del Banco de la Nación Cta. 01600 S/. 24.50 (Derecho de Emisión de Licencia de Conducir).
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:04 am

koplinfamilia wrote:Hmmm, I think things are very different where you are Chi-Chi, this is what the official TOURING webpage says I need (hence the questions.) Thanks anyway!

Everybody in Tarapoto got their driving licence in the same way as I did.

Don't go to Touring in Lima, they are gringo unfriendly. They discriminate against people that don't have a CE or DNI.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:35 am

chi chi wrote:
koplinfamilia wrote:Hmmm, I think things are very different where you are Chi-Chi, this is what the official TOURING webpage says I need (hence the questions.) Thanks anyway!

Everybody in Tarapoto got their driving licence in the same way as I did.

Don't go to Touring in Lima, they are gringo unfriendly. They discriminate against people that don't have a CE or DNI.

According to the web site everyone in Tarapoto, who got their licence this way, is driving illegally.

http://goperu.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/X ... ru.com.pe/

It's something to do with rules and regulations in the same way Belgium, amongst many other countries, "discriminates" against Peruvians trying to enter their country without the correct visas :lol:
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:05 am

Thanks Chi-Chi I have a CE and soon to have a DNI, not a problem there. I just want to make sure I have everything in order when I go.

For the record, I called the DMV in NYS today and they said they could send me something called an Abstract, I am not sure if this will work. Please, if anyone out there has attempted this, let me know how it turned out for you. I hate to spend the money and wait weeks for it to arrive to only have it not work out... maybe I should just start from scratch and take the driving test :?
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
Eric.Charles

Postby Eric.Charles » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:54 pm

Any word on this? I am about to try this process as well. Everything seems easy except getting your license "certified" by your home state. Please let me know if you found anything out. Thanks!
katebruder
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby katebruder » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:56 pm

My husband and I are about to start the process of obtaining our Peruvian drivers licenses. We both have valid drivers licenses from the State of Michigan in the US and both have our carnet extranjeria.

Does anybody know if the "certificado de estudios de secundario o superiores" is the actual diploma or are school transcripts sufficient? We both have our undergraduate degree from US institutions and were only given 1 copy of the diploma -- which is in the US.

From the TOURING website:
Certif. Estudios de Secundaria ó Superiores y 01 fotocopia (en caso no esté declarado en la RENIEC). Para los que tienen C. E. es OBLIGATORIO (Si realiza el trámite de exoneración de manejo, presentando los documentos solicitados, no presenta este requisitos).

Any idea if the transcript (classes taken and grades received) is sufficient?
marlia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby marlia » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:05 pm

Hello, just more information:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22500&p=120668&hilit=marlia#p120668

Hopefully can help.
paul_s0

Postby paul_s0 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:00 am

Having just been through this a couple of weeks ago, I'd highly recommend just taking the Peruvian driving test as opposed to applying for exoneration on the basis of your home country driving license. I had the problem of changing requirements each time we spoke to someone for the exoneration, and decided in the end it was quicker to just take the exam.

I needed the Medical exam, Certificado Domicilario (go to a notary with a utility bill showing your address, and your CE/DNI, cost was about S/.40 ), a copy of my university degree with authorised translation (and a copy of the translation), copy of my CE (and original), receipts from Banco de la Nación and Scotiabank (see the Touring website for details). Then I went to Touring in Lince, presented that lot and took the theory exam (doing the actual theory exam only took me 6 minutes, and yes I passed). Make sure you practise the theory exam online on the Touring website, makes it very easy. Following day I went to Conchan and took the actual driving test, quite big queues as was a Saturday. Go straight up to the window in Sala 3 (the two Windows on the right), they will take your paperwork and give you a ticket. You then go and join the queue.

NOTE: Practise both circuits, the guys directing the queues do not let you choose which circuit you want.

When you've done that and passed, wait to get your paperwork saying you passed (left window in Sala 3), you can then go to the MTC counter across the car park, You need to queue at the left window first to get a form. Fill in the form and queue for the windows 2nd/3rd from the left. They will take the form and the rest of your docs, then you sit and wait for them to come back out with your shiny new Peruvian license.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register