Crime in Peru

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
levinson

Crime in Peru

Postby levinson » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:21 am

When my wife and I last visited Peru, about 5 years ago, crime was not one of our worries. The U.S. State Dept. warned of the usual pickpockets and stay out of "bad" areas at night, stuff like that. We had no problems and no worries. OK, I got my pocket picked in Miraflores, but all they got was 2 AA batteries.

Now we'd like to return for a few month stay, and revisited the U.S. State Dept. site for up-to-date info. What a change! Warnings about rape, kidnappings, armed muggings, carjacking, and so on. Even a warning about attacks on taxis coming in from the airport. Don't go here, don't go there. This is scary.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... html#crime

So, to you, residents of Peru (especially Lima and Arequipa), how safe do you feel in your daily lives? Have you felt an increase in crime of the past few years?

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Crime in Peru

Postby chi chi » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:48 am

Don't worry. You won't notice a difference.

If you want to be really safe then travel down to Tarapoto, or better known as ''The City of the Palmtrees''.
It's the cleanest and safest city in Peru.
chante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chante » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:59 am

I still feel safe in both Lima and Arequipa; however it is very important to take precaution: take legitimate taxis or buses, don't flash large amounts of cash, don't go into "dangerous" areas - ask locals and other expats. Don't leave items - purse, daypack, etc. - on the back of a chair in a public place. I use a money belt - not a "fanny" pack.
levinson

Postby levinson » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:58 am

Chi Chi, how can I travel "down" to Tarapoto when it is north of Lima? Shouldn't that be "up" to Tarapoto? :wink:

Seriously, though, I considered doing that after reading some of your other posts, but then I saw the weather chart in wikipedia. It is too hot for my wife. She doesn't even like it here (Honolulu, HI) where the average high temperature is several degrees below Tarapoto's. That's what I get for marrying a Canadian. :wink: That is why we are thinking of Arequipa.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:07 pm

levinson wrote:When my wife and I last visited Peru, about 5 years ago, crime was not one of our worries. The U.S. State Dept. warned of the usual pickpockets and stay out of "bad" areas at night, stuff like that. We had no problems and no worries. OK, I got my pocket picked in Miraflores, but all they got was 2 AA batteries.

Now we'd like to return for a few month stay, and revisited the U.S. State Dept. site for up-to-date info. What a change! Warnings about rape, kidnappings, armed muggings, carjacking, and so on. Even a warning about attacks on taxis coming in from the airport. Don't go here, don't go there. This is scary.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... html#crime

So, to you, residents of Peru (especially Lima and Arequipa), how safe do you feel in your daily lives? Have you felt an increase in crime of the past few years?

I don't think the situation has changed that much compared to 5 years ago. But, yeah crime in Peru is a huge problem, nobody can deny that. You need to take precautions and be very careful at all times. I lived in Peru for 6 years and nothing ever happened to me personally (I was very careful), but my ex girlfriend was mugged several times (2 armed muggings and one express-kidnapping). This happened in Trujillo, which is considered one of the most dangerous cities in Peru, so maybe Arequipa is a little better.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:18 pm

chi chi wrote:Don't worry. You won't notice a difference.

If you want to be really safe then travel down to Tarapoto, or better known as ''The City of the Palmtrees''.
It's the cleanest and safest city in Peru.

Well, no Tarapoto is not the safest, not even close. Huamba is.

levinson, you are quite right, too hot, I've been trying to make that point for some time. And clean only if you don't mind stepping over dead rats in the gutter.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:47 am

levinson wrote:Chi Chi, how can I travel "down" to Tarapoto when it is north of Lima? Shouldn't that be "up" to Tarapoto? :wink:

Seriously, though, I considered doing that after reading some of your other posts, but then I saw the weather chart in wikipedia. It is too hot for my wife. She doesn't even like it here (Honolulu, HI) where the average high temperature is several degrees below Tarapoto's. That's what I get for marrying a Canadian. :wink: That is why we are thinking of Arequipa.

Woww, Honolulu is nice. I once thought of spending their one week vacation. I ended up staying 5 months.
I stayed at the YMCA. Wonderfull place. The staff are wonderfull. I never stayed in a place where the staff was so helpfull and friendly. Rooms are a bit spartan but spotless and they have a huge gym and swimming pool and they located only 1 minute walk from the beach. I paid a weekly rate of $75. Meals are excellent and very democratically priced.

Tarapoto is similar to Hawaii. Tarapoto is surrounded by mountains that look similar than the ones in Hawaii. And both places are full of palmtrees.

If Tarapoto is too hot, then Moyobamba is nice. It's the capital. It's much smaller than Tarapoto but the temperature is lower and almost no crime at all. It's cheaper than Tarapoto as well.

I am not too worried about crime in Peru.
I just watch my surrounding and don't talk to anyone when I pass through Miraflores. Because pickpocketing is rife and gringos get hassled all the time in Miraflores. Also the Parque Kennedy and Avenida Larcomar area is full of shady characters like hookers, gay prostitutes, peadophiles, drugdealers and mentally disturbed people.
But otherwise, I go shopping in Gamarra, Minka at Callao, Polvo Azules and the zona industrial in Villa El Salvador without anything to worry about.
28 de julio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 28 de julio » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:19 pm

I don't think it's any worse than five years' ago. I think the same rules apply as before. Most crime in Peru is opportunistic, so unless you're very unlucky or fail to observe the basic safety rules, you should have no problems at all. I'd always say, be aware of your surroundings without being paranoid, if you go somewhere new, ask someone reliable which places should be avoided, especially after dark, don't carry all your valuables with you, don't be flashy... I'm sure you'll be fine.

Miraflores is probably one of the safest areas in Lima. All the places mentioned by the previous poster are relatively unsafe, best avoided after dark, and places where you're much more likely to get hassled, robbed, pickpocketed or assaulted than Miraflores. For goodness sake, Villa El Salvador and Gamarra are safer than Miraflores, never heard such crazy talk.

There are more tourists in Miraflores relative to other parts of Lima because it's safe, but it's hardly overrun. Miraflores is primarily a residential area, well over 95% Peruvian. These few percentage points of foreigners only make a slight difference, because once you go to districts like San Miguel, less than one in 5,000 people are foreigners. Outside of high season, less than one in 50 people wandering along Larco are tourists, getting up to maybe one in 20 in August. If you spend five minutes in the Plaza de Armas in Cusco and then five minutes in any part of Miraflores, you'd walk away with the conclusion that Miraflores is not a tourist area.

The area around Parque Kennedy is perfectly safe and there's a play park filled with mothers and children until late in the evening. The prostitutes appear around midnight on the calle de pizzas, where most pickpocketing occurs as well, but generally Serenazgo and the police are around. If you do get pickpocketed here, it'll be because you're either drunk or didn't follow the simple rule of being aware of your surroundings.

I'm guessing the antagonism to Miraflores comes from a bad experience the previous poster had on the Calle de Pizzas with a shemale prostitute at one in the morning after drinking heavily.
Last edited by 28 de julio on Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Danny55
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Danny55 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:27 am

Absolutely agree with '28 Julio'.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:42 am

Yup, a agree with 28 de julio, the other poster, no, not even close.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:42 am

28 de julio wrote:
I'm guessing the antagonism to Miraflores comes from a bad experience the previous poster had on the Calle de Pizzas with a shemale prostitute at one in the morning after drinking heavily.

Most of the antagonism towards Miraflores comes from people who are jealous of others who live there :mrgreen:
The problem is that the place is outrageously over priced and not affordable to peole living on a small budget, or those too tight to part with their money.
The cost of having your car washed to renting property are totally out of proportion with reality, but there are many who can afford and enjoy living there.
I made the decision 4 years ago to move out of a very nice, but very small, one bedroomed apartment directly overlooking the ocean, to a much bigger three bedroomed apartment elsewhere, with a view of my neighbors car, but it suits my budget and I can also now afford to run my own car whilst still paying less in rent than I did in 2009.
If I ever find a way though, of earning more money here. I'll be back :lol:
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:13 pm

Be honest guys, crime got up in Peru, but sorry the warnings of the US State department are a bit over the top. As said before a normal tourist won't see a difference to a few years ago at least if he / she follows a the one or other simple rule. A week or so back there has been a nice article about this topic, so have a look http://www.limaeasy.com/editors-corner/ ... es-in-lima.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:45 pm

sunflower wrote:Be honest guys, crime got up in Peru, but sorry the warnings of the US State department are a bit over the top. As said before a normal tourist won't see a difference to a few years ago at least if he / she follows a the one or other simple rule. A week or so back there has been a nice article about this topic, so have a look http://www.limaeasy.com/editors-corner/ ... es-in-lima.

Good link, this actually happened to my girlfriend, a Peruvian, when she was passing through Surquillo at the traffic lights opposite Plaza Vea on Angamos. A motorcyclist pulled up, smashed the side windows and grabbed her handbag which was on the passenger seat. Don't leave bags or valuables anywhere they could be visible to passers-by, especially the passenger seats, where they can easily be seen by thieves, either hanging around at traffic lights or on motorcycles.

Chi Chi, I know you've posted widely about your dislike of Miraflores, but paedophiles in Parque Kennedy. You're getting into the realms of fantasy now. And you know this how? From the horns coming out of their heads? Because they told you? Or perhaps they've got badges and T-shirts on declaring it? Never seen a drug dealer in the street once in Miraflores. There are too many Serenazgo, security guards and police. I've only ever seen street drug dealers in places like Surquillo and Callao. And the only mentally disturbed person I've seen is an ageing German expat, who asks foreigners for money, but even he hasn't been around for a while. I heard he moved to Tarapoto with his drug dealing, gay prostitute boyfriend after reading some wonderful things about it on ExpatPeru.
Last edited by Sergio Bernales on Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:14 pm

I agree with 28 de julio, Panman and the other posters.
My husband and I are paranoid about crime, and we feel safer in Miraflores, than anywhere else. We enjoy living here much more than Surco (we lived in a nice part of Surco, not grubby), since it has more people going around and security personnel.

Yes, crime is a big issue in the city, but taking precaution you should be ok. If you are terribly paranoid, avoid going out at night, or at least don't do it very often.
Regards,

Argidd
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:05 am

28 de julio wrote:Miraflores is probably one of the safest areas in Lima. All the places mentioned by the previous poster are relatively unsafe, best avoided after dark, and places where you're much more likely to get hassled, robbed, pickpocketed or assaulted than Miraflores. For goodness sake, Villa El Salvador and Gamarra are safer than Miraflores, never heard such crazy talk.

I didn't say that Gamarra or V.E.S. is safer but if criminals see a gringo walking around in V.E.S. or Gamarra they will think that he's living locally or knows the area well and won't be any easy bait.You will also less likely get overcharged at shops because the people there will assume that you 'know' how things are going on.

But if as a gringo, you walk around in Miraflores then you will be seen as tourist who 'doesn't know things and prices' and you will always be considered as an easy target. They don't have to steal from you by pointing a knife at you. They just grossly overcharge you at shops and restaurants.
Even if you have been living in Miraflores for 10 years, people at the street will still see you as a tourist. They don't see the difference between the gringo that just got of the plane and the one that has been living there for years.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:33 pm

chi chi wrote:
28 de julio wrote:Miraflores is probably one of the safest areas in Lima. All the places mentioned by the previous poster are relatively unsafe, best avoided after dark, and places where you're much more likely to get hassled, robbed, pickpocketed or assaulted than Miraflores. For goodness sake, Villa El Salvador and Gamarra are safer than Miraflores, never heard such crazy talk.

I didn't say that Gamarra or V.E.S. is safer but if criminals see a gringo walking around in V.E.S. or Gamarra they will think that he's living locally or knows the area well and won't be any easy bait.You will also less likely get overcharged at shops because the people there will assume that you 'know' how things are going on.

But if as a gringo, you walk around in Miraflores then you will be seen as tourist who 'doesn't know things and prices' and you will always be considered as an easy target. They don't have to steal from you by pointing a knife at you. They just grossly overcharge you at shops and restaurants.
Even if you have been living in Miraflores for 10 years, people at the street will still see you as a tourist. They don't see the difference between the gringo that just got of the plane and the one that has been living there for years.

I suppose that's one way of looking at it, Chi Chi, although I don't think places like Wong have a special Gringo price. Everybody pays the same high price.
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:05 pm

28 de julio hit the nail on the head.
lumansu
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby lumansu » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:43 am

28 de Julio has a very accurate perception of the way things are in Lima. I live in Barranco, close to Miraflores, I don't feel completely safe, but i definitely feel a lot safer than I would in other areas on the outskirts of Miraflores.
levinson

Postby levinson » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:27 pm

We certainly appreciate the answers you have given us. In light of those, we have decided to go to Chile instead.

We had planned a 6-month trip, staying in one place for a few months, then somewhere else, no intention for long-term settlement. Just staying for a while to hang out, more or less. As we did in Montevideo a couple of years ago. So we did not want to stay somewhere where we could not be comfortable wandering around. It sounds as if we would be too tense to relax and enjoy Peru.

So we are going to Chile. The pisco sours aren't as good, all the sushi has cream cheese in it, but you can't have everything.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:50 pm

levinson wrote:We certainly appreciate the answers you have given us. In light of those, we have decided to go to Chile instead.

We had planned a 6-month trip, staying in one place for a few months, then somewhere else, no intention for long-term settlement. Just staying for a while to hang out, more or less. As we did in Montevideo a couple of years ago. So we did not want to stay somewhere where we could not be comfortable wandering around. It sounds as if we would be too tense to relax and enjoy Peru.

So we are going to Chile. The pisco sours aren't as good, all the sushi has cream cheese in it, but you can't have everything.

Santiago is a beautiful, and very safe city. There are plenty Peruvian restaurants (even Peruvian sushi joints) where you can enjoy cream cheese free sushi, and even Peruvian Pisco Pisco Sours. Or just enjoy great wine! You can even find Peruvian ingredients in the Market downtown, as well.

Happy travelling!!
Regards,

Argidd
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:55 pm

argidd wrote:
Santiago is a beautiful, and very safe city. There are plenty Peruvian restaurants (even Peruvian sushi joints) where you can enjoy cream cheese free sushi, and even Peruvian Pisco Pisco Sours. Or just enjoy great wine! You can even find Peruvian ingredients in the Market downtown, as well.

Happy travelling!!

The fishmarket is very nice too. They have a lot of nice small restaurants tan serve excellent seafood at a democratic price.

The zoo is nice as well and has a view over the whole city.

And like argidd said, Chilean wine is excellent. And the beer as well. It's similar to German beer.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:59 pm

chi chi wrote:And like argidd said, Chilean wine is excellent. And the beer as well. It's similar to German beer.

Chi Chi, seriously? I would have never thought! I'll tell my husband, since we're spending the New Year down there, and although I've been several times, I never tried their beer! (I don't drink beer in general).

Thanks!
Regards,

Argidd
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:35 pm

argidd wrote:
chi chi wrote:And like argidd said, Chilean wine is excellent. And the beer as well. It's similar to German beer.

Chi Chi, seriously? I would have never thought! I'll tell my husband, since we're spending the New Year down there, and although I've been several times, I never tried their beer! (I don't drink beer in general).

Thanks!

They have many different beers and they are excellent. I wish that Peruvian beer was like that.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register