Bringing My Fiance to the States

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
simperu2012
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bringing My Fiance to the States

Postby simperu2012 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:24 pm

Hello Expat community,
I've been traveling back and forth between Peru and the U.S. for quite some time, and my fiancé and I have decided that it's best to establish ourselves back in the U.S. I dropped out of college to be with her about 2 years ago. I was 20 and idealistic. Blinded by love. Now that we're together and thinking about the future, I'm starting to see the harsh reality of the situation. Without a business of my own, money to invest, or a specialized skill, it's becoming harder and harder for us to make it, let alone get ahead. Simply put, it's easier for me to make it back home. I've enrolled back into school to follow my dream of becoming a doctor. I've spent time reviewing the qualifications for both the fiancé visa as well as the spouse visa. I know that on paper I fill all of the requirements, but I've read the horror stories of people investing money and time only to be turned away in 2 minutes. Have any other expats or former expats had success in bringing their loved one to the states? What measures did you take to make sure that all your bases were covered? Was it best to get married first then try? Share some ideas so I can get an inside opinion.

Peace and Love

Pedro Nicolas

Re: Bringing My Fiance to the States

Postby Pedro Nicolas » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:54 pm

If you get married in Peru and its legit you should have no problem bringing your wife to the States in less than 2 years providing you or your family can show financial stability
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:04 am

But it would be best to go to the US and get married there. I don't know for sure but I believe you can't reside in the US with the fiane visa, it just gives you a right to enter the country.

When my sister and her husband were going to get married (she's Peruvian, he's American) the immigrations attorney recommened she travel to the US and while on valid entrance, they should be married, and start the paperwork right away. She got her green card 5 months later, and got a job 2 weeks later. They went through a couple interviews, where they did ask if they slept in the same bed, and if they were together for legitimate reasons. They always kept record of their emails while in long distance and pictures of their wedding, trips together, family gatherings, etc. They never had a problem, and this was in Miami, where marriages for residency are not scarce.
She is now a US citizen and they are doing great, they were married about 10 years ago.

If you get married here, and register the marriage in the US it will take longer. But it is always best to check with an immigrations attorney in the US, and in the state you plan on residing; especially since immigrations laws (and practices) vary with time.
Regards,

Argidd
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:29 pm

Sorry to be pedantic, but don't you mean fiancée, unless you're planning a gay wedding.

On the advice side, what Argidd says sounds right. If you follow all the current US laws, you should have no problems, enter with a normal visa and then get married and fill out the paperwork once in the States. I know plenty of Peruvian girls with American husbands who have had no problems doing things this way before marrying and settling down in the States. The only people I've met who have had a few problems getting a visa, even with someone willing to sponsor them, or are wanting to get married, are Peruvians who are unemployed. So if your partner has a job here in Peru and applies for a visa, it shouldn't be difficult.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:24 pm

If the two parities are both single, never married and no kids it really could not be simpler. The K1 Fiance Visa. It's the most straightforward visa available. Far more straightforward than getting married in Peru and dealing with all the translations etc. What about the fiance visa do you not understand? If you have questions I will try to answer, I have two friends who have done it and I am in the process of researching it myself.

If you are dead set on marrying her just do a fiance visa (K1). Once you arrive in the US get married and she will have a 2 year conditional permanent residence. This gives her a green card with the ability to work/study if she chooses. That's when you officially apply for her permanent residence which can take a couple more years but she can at least travel back to visit family on a limited basis.

You'll need some photos of you together and proof of your travel to Peru to see her in the last 2 years. It's mostly just putting together a bunch of documents and pictures and writing a couple checks. Anyway, here is a nice guide:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide
http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow
simperu2012
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby simperu2012 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:35 pm

Thanks to all for the suggestions. We're currently gathering all of our paperwork and photos over the past three years. (itinerary, photos, emails, etc). With care and the funds available, I'm sure we'll be able to make this work.

Peace and love
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:20 am

My wife and I were married in the USA while she was on her tourist visa. When we applied for her residence, it was very fast with no problems. Key issues are that financial stability must be established and that the marriage is legitimate. Legitimacy was established with our history using photos and the fact that we bought a house together in the States...........Richad
inscop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby inscop » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:47 pm

Listen to Arroz con Pollo. I am a retired immigration agent, and what he told you is spot on. K-1 is the best way to go. The only real tricky part is you HAVE to marry within 90 days of her arrival, and, unless things have changed, she can actually marry ANYONE, but I'm sure she will pick you!

Also, do not hire an attorney to do your paperwork. Any idiot who speaks English can complete the forms.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register