Beaches in Tumbes

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Beaches in Tumbes

Postby koplinfamilia » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:52 pm

Can anyone reccomend a very family friendly hotel/area in the Tumbes beach region. I think Mancora is out, it seems too much like a party town and we just want to relax with our children. We would like to see whales and maybe visit the thermal baths, which beach would be recommended for these things? Thanks!

Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Beaches in Tumbes

Postby teamoperu » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:32 pm

Before chi chi gets the chance to say it - Tarapoto...
(joke).

I lke Los Organos. I you decide there, I know a good resort for kids.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:56 pm

I've always liked Punta Sal as a quiet and relaxing alternative to Mancora. I'm not sure how the new Decamaron has affected the area, as I haven't been up that way since it opened. Punta Sal has got a nice sandy beach, it's relatively quiet and beautiful. The only drawback was a lack of good places to eat - there are a few which are okayish - but you can always take a taxi or a moto to Mancora.

By the way, if you do stay in Mancora, Las Pocitas is generally very quiet and family friendly with some great hotels. So you have the advantage of being close to the centre of Mancora with all its restaurants and bars without having to be around the party crowd when you go to bed, or if you just want to relax on a quiet sandy beach during the day with your children. I can PM you a few choices if you do decide to go there. Although the beach is nice and clean, the drawback here is that the sea is a little rocky, so it can be a little difficult if you like to swim. But for children, there are lots of little pools and places to play.

Los Organos, as Teamoperu says, is a good choice. It's very quiet and the beach is very sandy and there aren't as many rocks in the sea as in Mancora. Although my personal experience was a little negative. For some reason there was a lot of litter on the beach and a couple of dead sea lions, which put me off going for a swim. I also found it windier than Mancora and Punta Sal, although I don't know if this is because it has a more exposed location, or if it was just windy that day, but it seemed a great choice if you like paragliding or wind surfing.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:13 pm

Must have been the day you went, Sergio. I've been there numerous times and do not recall much wind – indeed, so hot a breeze would have been welcome. I recall burning my feet on the sand, but went with northern Peruvians friends, who, as you know hardly go to the beach unless it is summer hot. Actually, koplinfamilia, my recommendation may vary depending on when you are going.

Also I like Playa Colon near Piata because it is pure Peruvian. Don't know how you plan to get to Tumbes, but if by avion via Piura then road, Colan is closer.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:53 pm

teamoperu wrote:Must have been the day you went, Sergio. I've been there numerous times and do not recall much wind – indeed, so hot a breeze would have been welcome. I recall burning my feet on the sand, but went with northern Peruvians friends, who, as you know hardly go to the beach unless it is summer hot. Actually, koplinfamilia, my recommendation may vary depending on when you are going.

Also I like Playa Colon near Piata because it is pure Peruvian. Don't know how you plan to get to Tumbes, but if by avion via Piura then road, Colan is closer.

Probably true - You live up that way, so you probably know it much better than me. I'm sure it was just a bit of bad luck with the wind. Probably blew the litter on to the beach as well. I did think, wow, this place has a lot of potential, long sandy beach, no rocks, but hardly any people...
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:I've always liked Punta Sal as a quiet and relaxing alternative to Mancora.

I loved Punta Sal when we visited five years ago. We went by motor taxi from Mancora, what a journey that was, but well worth it. We were the only people on the beach apart from one woman with her young daughter. The thing that's just put me right off ever going back there has just been aired on this evenings edition of CU4RTO PODER.
Alejandro Toledo has invested some of his savings in a beach house there.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:25 am

teamoperu wrote:Before chi chi gets the chance to say it - Tarapoto...
(joke).

I lke Los Organos. I you decide there, I know a good resort for kids.

Sorry, no beaches in Tarapoto. The closest beach is in Shapaja. (25 minutes drive from Tarapoto) It has a nice white sand beach full of palmtrees. At weekends it's crowdy. During the week it's deserted. It's popular with jet skiers.
A bit smaller and also 25 minutes drive from Tarapoto is the beach of Puerto Rico.
RVPeru

Postby RVPeru » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Just stay away from the Hostales in the town of Mancora. There are dozens of hotels for all budgets south of the town, where you will not be bothered by the nightlife in town. If you want to go see the whales, Organos is 20 minutes further south. If you want to go to the thermal baths, it will be 20 minutes north east. Take a cab.
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:24 pm

I probably should have noted that we will be driving there, so transportation to and from the different areas shouldn't be a problem. What I am trying to research is which is the best location to see the whales (where do you go to see them?) Also the mangroves and thermal baths (where are they located closest too?) as far as beaches, the quieter and more natural the better. A hotel with a kid family atmosphere would be great. Also, is there any one famous restuarant that we should visit in the area?
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
asher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asher » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:27 pm

If you want to take a trip to the mangroves, I think you have to go to Puerto Pizaro which is just north of Tumbes town. There are several different boat trips available from there.
For whale watching, I know you can take a boat from Los Organos and Cabo Blanco but you can probably go from other places as well. Just ask the fishermen at whichever place you decide to stay.
The only thermal baths I know of in that area are the Aguas termales de hervideros, I can't remember the exact location ( try googling it ) we drove there from a little way north of Los Organos, you turn inland and go through a wooded area to get to it. It's very basic although there are changing rooms. There are just a couple of small pools and the water was not very warm although it does have a kind of rustic charm.
If you prefer seclusion to a town, there are lots of hotels right on the beach alongside the Panamerican highway between Mancora and Tumbes. Most of them have pools and look child friendly.
I do not know of any " famous " restaurants but I can highly reccomend Bambu which is in Los Organos. Turn left just as you enter the village, drive down to the beach and it's right in front of you. It's very clean, the food is excellent and there are steps leading onto the beach. There are also some nice, quiet bungalow hotels down on the seafront in Los organos, I usually stay at Bora Bora which has a few animals ( monkeys, deer, macaws ) and a pool.
Hope you enjoy your trip.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:59 am

The herbidoros that asher refers to are just outside Zorritos, it a geothermal mud bath, pretty basic but people I've gone with quite enjoyed being covered by (medicinal) mud.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:28 am

Whales. Saw this advertized, never tried them - Yates Tour at Los Organos
http://www.vivamancora.com/daring/servicios_e.html
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby goalie3443 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:29 am

RVPeru wrote:Just stay away from the Hostales in the town of Mancora. There are dozens of hotels for all budgets south of the town, where you will not be bothered by the nightlife in town. If you want to go see the whales, Organos is 20 minutes further south. If you want to go to the thermal baths, it will be 20 minutes north east. Take a cab.

I second this reply this is exactly what I myself would recommend. You can always catch a moto to town and back in the evening atleast thats what I do when I am there.
Jeffe

http://mochilerosperu.wordpress.com
Peru Budget Travel and Review Blog

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register