Anyone know Antofogasta Chile

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anyone know Antofogasta Chile

Postby tomsax » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:24 am

Does anyone on the boards know Antofogasta in Chile?

I may at some point be offered a post there. On the one hand I am delighted but on the other hand my company has also issued rather alarming security warnings for anyone being posted there. I'm trying to get a feeling for the possible dangers relative to Peru.

There are some Chile forums and I could post there but I need to know relative to Peru which is a place I know much better.

Has anyone been there and does anyone know if it is more dangerous/secure than say Lima or other Peruvian coastal cities. I can deal with the more routine petty thefts such as bag snatching which I consider a given. I am more concerned about kidnappings, serious assaults. I know there a lot of mining is based there so am interested to know if expat staff working for the mining industry are targetted. I might possibly be taking my family which is the main concern. if it was just me, it would all be part of life's adventure but with a young family...

Tom
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Anyone know Antofogasta Chile

Postby argidd » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:57 am

Hi Tom

I've passed Antofagasta, and it seems like a smallish city. I worked with the Chile office in my previous job, with people travelling around the country. One thing I can tell you, is that the most dangerous in Chile, isn't even close the the half dangerous in Peru. Chile is very effective in controlling crime.

Congratulations on your possible new job. I would encourage you to do it.
Last edited by argidd on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Argidd
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:09 am

The Prefectura deals effectively with crime.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Spent a couple of nights there during my travels and never looked like encountering a problem.Walked all over the place in the city and along the coastal highway. I must admit it was a few years ago but I remember the man in charge of the Carabinera at the time was given an honour because of his work with the youth and intergrating the local force to be more focused on communication with the population. He was rewarded by being the youngest ever person in the Carabinera to be promoted to the rank of Captain. There was a lot of publicity about it at the time in Antofogasta. Try and get sent to Iquique, one of the most beautiful well kept beaches and surrounding parks on the Pacific Coast of South America.

A lot of the warnings in Chile these days are based on the rallies against the education system and the unions, especially the mining unions, over work related conditions, albeit there are better than many other Latin American countries. Both being influenced by communist supporting office bearers. The young lady who started the education rallies, is now an official member of the Chilean communist party.
Bobby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bobby » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:34 pm

It's the mining capital city/region of Chile (no other or little industry around). Have a friend there teaching at a local university. He told me that cost of living is higher than in Southern Chile (espcially regarding fresh food). You have direct flights to Lima from there.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:25 pm

I flew over it when flying from Santiago to Lima and Antofagasta looks like a small city.

Still, it looks like a nice place.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antofagasta
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:35 pm

TonyLeslie wrote:Spent a couple of nights there during my travels and never looked like encountering a problem.Walked all over the place in the city and along the coastal highway. I must admit it was a few years ago but I remember the man in charge of the Carabinera at the time was given an honour because of his work with the youth and intergrating the local force to be more focused on communication with the population. He was rewarded by being the youngest ever person in the Carabinera to be promoted to the rank of Captain. There was a lot of publicity about it at the time in Antofogasta. Try and get sent to Iquique, one of the most beautiful well kept beaches and surrounding parks on the Pacific Coast of South America.

A lot of the warnings in Chile these days are based on the rallies against the education system and the unions, especially the mining unions, over work related conditions, albeit there are better than many other Latin American countries. Both being influenced by communist supporting office bearers. The young lady who started the education rallies, is now an official member of the Chilean communist party.

Antofagasta like many cities has problems with drugs, prostitution , violence and xenophobia.
But there are safe parts of the city, just check where You walk during the night-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqmIMrRRFe8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Nsi2CjQlE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOxGUMhDpZg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b85Kr6mc2pQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBSSYN4v ... gqLEtzry1Q
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:53 pm

Unfortunately Victmanu those videos could just about be any city anywhere in the world at any time. No place is completely without crime and associated problems. I just relate my experiences as I lived them. I travelled extensively through Chile without problems over a four years period. Likewise, I have walked extensively in Lima for over two years without any problems so far.

I found the central part of Antofagasta quite vibrant with musicians, pleasant parks, Mercados etc and lots of friendly people. Likewise the coastal highway is where there are several good hotels and lots of people/tourists/business people going about their activities.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:06 pm

Thanks everyone for their replies.

TonyLeslie, especially appreciate your feedback as you spent so long in Chile.

I remember when I went there around 25 years ago only for two weeks (I must be old) it was considered safer than Peru. Especially by tourists who enthused about how safe it was compared to Peru at the time. But I tend to treat this sort of recieved wisdom with some caution. At that time people said Ecuador was safer and then on arrival in Quito was mugged of my rucksack and most personal effects.

I imagine it is safer in many ways. But the mining industry has really taken off in Antofogasta and I imagine there are vast differences in wealth with all the problems that can cause. I remember 25 years ago petty crime in Colombia was much less than in Peru but when you were robbed there it tended to be pretty serious with professional criminals going for very high stakes and takings. Different crimes are more common in different countries. I have a friend who was kidnapped in Mexico and held for a period so they could empty his bank account, same for Colombia where I know three people that has happened to. I've never heard of that happening in Peru though I'm sure it has.

I'm curious to know what was your impression of crime in Chile relative to Peru. Not just in Antofogasta but generally.
Tom
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:10 pm

TonyLeslie wrote:Unfortunately Victmanu those videos could just about be any city anywhere in the world at any time. No place is completely without crime and associated problems. I just relate my experiences as I lived them. I travelled extensively through Chile without problems over a four years period. Likewise, I have walked extensively in Lima for over two years without any problems so far.

I found the central part of Antofagasta quite vibrant with musicians, pleasant parks, Mercados etc and lots of friendly people. Likewise the coastal highway is where there are several good hotels and lots of people/tourists/business people going about their activities.

Tonyleslie. a peruvian who I met this year was mugged in May in Antofagasta downtown at dark.I am sure Antifagasta is safer than Lima and other cities of Peru but there are crime over there.
http://www.ilovechile.cl/2012/12/24/pol ... asta/76263
Not everybodu is lucky like You and me to not be robbed in Lima and chile.
http://thejustinbiebershrine.com/2013/1 ... -mall.html
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:46 pm

Nobody is arguing that crime doesn't happen in Antofogasta or anywhere else victmanu. TonyLeslie said the complete opposite to that i.e. "No place is completely without crime and associated problems."
Tom
richiecry
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richiecry » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:40 am

I was in Antofagasta a couple of years ago and thought it was kind of ugly (as opposed to Arica, Iquique, La Serena and my fav in Chile----Valparaiso). I felt safe though and walked around quite a bit at night with friends.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register