Wireless Range Extender or Repeater?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Roger in the US
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wireless Range Extender or Repeater?

Postby Roger in the US » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:50 am

Anybody might know where to purchase a wireless repeater or extender in Lima?

I have checked radio shack and they did not have anything except wireless routers.

Thanks

Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wireless Range Extender or Repeater?

Postby Alpineprince » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:26 am

A friend bought one in Compu palace a few months ago. The store was on the first floor in the back on the Arequippa side.
Danny55
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Danny55 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:33 am

Great info - I am about to look for a repeater myself.
Thanks
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:42 am

Alpineprince wrote:A friend bought one in Compu palace a few months ago. The store was on the first floor in the back on the Arequippa side.

How much was it? I am planning on buying this one on ebay, and bringing it with me the first week in january for my daughter.

Not sure how it will work, but it is only $20!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300Mbps-Wireles ... 3a891433e1
agantuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby agantuk » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:48 am

i recently installed a TP-LINK Powerline wireless adapter kit (TL-PA2010 + TL-WPA271) in my apartment and its working great. i consider this technology to be more reliable to improve wireless (or wired) internet access to any part of the house/apartment.

bought them in Compupalace for almost the same price as they sell on Amazon-USA.

http://www.tp-link.com/pe/where-to-buy/resellers.aspx
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:07 am

Looks about the same as I bought. I will be getting mine down to peru this week and see how it works. That is if customs does not confiscate the thing! Did you install it wirelessly as a repeater or connect it to the LAN?
agantuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby agantuk » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:17 pm

captcosmic wrote:Did you install it wirelessly as a repeater or connect it to the LAN?

the TL-PA2010 connects to your existing modem+router from claro/movistar via ethernet cable and plugs into the nearest power outlet. the TL-WPA271 plugs into any other power outlet in the house and creates a wireless network with its own SSID. so it works like an access point instead of a repeater.

i think repeaters are not a good option in lima because of the concrete walls. i have also read that bandwidth goes down by almost 50% in the repeater mode.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:13 pm

captcosmic wrote:Looks about the same as I bought. I will be getting mine down to peru this week and see how it works. That is if customs does not confiscate the thing! Did you install it wirelessly as a repeater or connect it to the LAN?

If you shipped it here they might require you to get a special certificate because it is a wifi device. I'm not exactly sure of the steps but when a friend of mine ordered a kindle about two years ago he had to go to a few places to get a certification for the wifi component before customs would release it to him. Neither eBay nor amazon will tell you this when ordering.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register