Immigration only Gave 60 Days this Time

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Immigration only Gave 60 Days this Time

Postby edgeclinger » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:56 pm

So everybody wasn't in the Christmas spirit today. We came home this afternoon after a 2 week trip out of the country and were only allowed 60 days this time. The young woman agent informed us that we can only get 183 days once a year. The only other time I've ever been allowed less than 6 months, I was given 90 days. It strikes me that the agent was a young woman that time, too. I have made a mental note to be sure I'm in a line for a male agent in the future.

Loving Living in Lima
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Immigration only Gave 60 Days this Time

Postby chi chi » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:23 am

Edgeclinger, you should know by now that Christmas time means '' tip time''. A 20 soles note stuck in your passport would have given you 183 days.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:41 am

edgeclinger wrote:So everybody wasn't in the Christmas spirit today. We came home this afternoon after a 2 week trip out of the country and were only allowed 60 days this time. The young woman agent informed us that we can only get 183 days once a year. The only other time I've ever been allowed less than 6 months, I was given 90 days. It strikes me that the agent was a young woman that time, too. I have made a mental note to be sure I'm in a line for a male agent in the future.

It is not so uncommon to give tourists less than the maximum and they might also be cracking down on long term tourists. Contrary to chi chi's advise I wouldn't suggest bribing anyone.
emanaku
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emanaku » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:00 am

My partner got only 60 days last september - by a male agent (maybe he was grouchy because it was late in the night).

I "heard" - that means the lawyer of a friend of a friend supposedly said that they want to change or have already changed the law from 2014 on, so you can stay only 183 days per year on turist visa - and after that you have to stay out of the country for 183 days ... can anyone confirm or invalidate that? I studied the migraciones web page http://www.digemin.gob.pe/ in depth and I could not find anything about it ...
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:00 pm

emanaku wrote:My partner got only 60 days last september - by a male agent (maybe he was grouchy because it was late in the night).

I "heard" - that means the lawyer of a friend of a friend supposedly said that they want to change or have already changed the law from 2014 on, so you can stay only 183 days per year on turist visa - and after that you have to stay out of the country for 183 days ... can anyone confirm or invalidate that? I studied the migraciones web page http://www.digemin.gob.pe/ in depth and I could not find anything about it ...

Emanaku, don't believe or trust lawyers.

And if the story is right then problem the solution is simple. You get 183 days or less and you overstay after that and pay the fine when you leave.

Big Poppa would have done the same.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:18 pm

Did you explain your exact positoin at immigration.
ie. that you own property and live here in Lima Peru?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:06 am

panman wrote:Did you explain your exact positoin at immigration.
ie. that you own property and live here in Lima Peru?

It wouldn't have been wise if she told them that. They might have hassled her about taxes on the property and she isn't supposed to live here permanently on a tourist visa.

I always ask for 183 days and if they ask me why I want 183 days, then I explain them that my gf is Peruvian and I want to visit her for a long time or I tell them that I am intending to start a business and need time to arrange all the required paperwork. I always worked. I never got less than 183 days.
19naia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Immigration only Gave 60 Days this Tim

Postby 19naia » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:41 pm

I arrived in november 2013 and only 60 days before years end and i got only 60 days stamp,i went for ecuador border run january 2 ,2014 and they told me i can only get 90 days under any cicumstances,so now i have 90 days this time and will go back for another 90 day permit.. I also heard 183 maximum per year and im prepared to do my overtime in ecuador..my 183 day exit ticket was forfieted any way because i bought before coming to peru and was told 183 days was no problem...i got 60 days and that threw off my scheduled plans and LAN wont change my ticket even for a penalty fee..i lost the 350 $ bucks i payed for it...oh well im free now without any exit ticket and can buy it when im ready to go....when i come back peru after this 6 month stay,im not buying any return ticket until immigration can give me a date to leave on.....if they cant be consistent with time allowed,how can they expect us to show a return ticket for a date we cant be sure of....i will buy a cheap bus ticket if they hold me up over it, then throw it away once they give me my exit date,then buy what i want....its new laws or maybe anti american sentiment or what?. Discouraged tourist will stay less and bring less revenue to the economy here...i will end up giving half my spending to ecuador for 6 months and the other half to peru for 6 months if this keeps up....

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register