OK to take 12oz of Silver Bars to Peru?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
rudder
Gold Member
Gold Member

OK to take 12oz of Silver Bars to Peru?

Postby rudder » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:14 pm

I have one 10oz silver bar and two 1oz silver bars right now in the USA. I'm leaving for Peru in two weeks and wondering what I should do with this silver.

My options are:
1) Cash it in here for the low spot price ($20.12 as of this posting). That would give me about $240 dollars of spending money to travel with.

2) Take the bars with me and carry them in my torso passport pouch, and then cash them in somewhere in Peru when silver prices go back up again.

3) Leave the silver bars with a family member in the USA, and then have them cash in the silver bars in a few months, and then deposit the money into my bank account.

For Option number 2...Has anyone ever carried silver bullion into Peru? Is it necessary to declare the amount I plan to take (12oz)? Will the customs officials in the airport arrest me, steal my silver, and/or charge me some exorbitant tax or any other unfortunate scenario?

Turn a desert into a sustainable food oasis:

http://cropsfordrylands.com/
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: OK to take 12oz of Silver Bars to Peru?

Postby craig » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:44 pm

rudder wrote:For Option number 2...Has anyone ever carried silver bullion into Peru? Is it necessary to declare the amount I plan to take (12oz)? Will the customs officials in the airport arrest me, steal my silver, and/or charge me some exorbitant tax or any other unfortunate scenario?

I don't really know but I would like to. I can tell you the following.

1) Precious metals are sometimes stolen by US officials when you exit the US. There is nothing illegal about taking the metal out but they can do anything they want, there is no way to tell what they will do and there is no effective recourse.

2) Importing silver, in any form, into Peru is supposed to be subject to 24% tax. IVA: 18%, excise duty: 6%. In such a small quantity, it might be exempt as personal effects; I don't know.

That said, I have brought silver coin (more than 12 ounces) from the US to Peru without declaring it and without any problem happening. That does not guarantee that there will not be a problem next time.

I have thought of bringing in some silver (or gold) and declaring it as an experiment just to see what would happen. But I am afraid doing so it might just attract attention and cause problems.

You will have a hard time finding any place to sell silver in Peru that will give you a decent price. You might have to take 30% below spot. Your best bet might be to find an expat who would like to buy a little silver.
--
It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. -- Thomas Jefferson
CH2408
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby CH2408 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:02 am

hi,

My husband and I just went through Lima Airport this past December with 60oz. silver coins without a problem ( in our carry on) they only kept scanning our bag at -xray machine. We have traveled with them through mexico, Ecuador and Peru in the past. The only thing we notice is that they always scan several times (x-ray machine) they ask us what it is , or if we could open bag. We calmly explain silver coins use as money. (monedas de plata) We have never declared ( you must declared if over $10,000USD). Good Luck!
inscop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby inscop » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:52 pm

If you're smart (and you can live without the extra cash), you'll hang on to your silver and try to accumulate even more when it bottoms out soon. Within a year or two, it is going to skyrocket, as will gold.

Or, if you are in So California, we can meet up and I'll pay you spot for it.
rudder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rudder » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:14 pm

So is Peru a good place to buy silver bullion?
Turn a desert into a sustainable food oasis:

http://cropsfordrylands.com/
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby craig » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:14 am

rudder wrote:So is Peru a good place to buy silver bullion?

Officially, no, you are supposed to pay an 18% VAT on it.

In practice, you may be able to find sources who will not charge you the tax. However, it may be difficult to be sure of the purity of such silver.

In spite of the fact that Peru is the 1st or 2nd largest producer of silver in the world, there is comparatively little silver available in the country. It is nearly all exported.
--
It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. -- Thomas Jefferson
james

Postby james » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:47 pm

I entered Peru recently with 574 ounces of silver bullion, mostly one ounce rectangles in sheets of 20. Customs found half of it and he let me through after wanting me to remove one from the plastic it came in. If anyone wants to buy some, let me know. I may be moving to Argentina by bus and I don't think I want to carry it. I will also trade for gold, as it is easier to carry around. I think silver will go up more than gold percentage wise in the big move coming.
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby craig » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:21 pm

james wrote:I entered Peru recently with 574 ounces of silver bullion, mostly one ounce rectangles in sheets of 20. Customs found half of it and he let me through after wanting me to remove one from the plastic it came in. If anyone wants to buy some, let me know. I may be moving to Argentina by bus and I don't think I want to carry it. I will also trade for gold, as it is easier to carry around. I think silver will go up more than gold percentage wise in the big move coming.

Super! 574 ounces (36 pounds!) or grams?

How did customs find it, and find only half? By the X-ray machine, undeclared?

They knew it was silver and didn't want to collect IGV and the excise tax?

Amazing!
--
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:55 pm

craig wrote:
james wrote:I entered Peru recently with 574 ounces of silver bullion, mostly one ounce rectangles in sheets of 20. Customs found half of it and he let me through after wanting me to remove one from the plastic it came in. If anyone wants to buy some, let me know. I may be moving to Argentina by bus and I don't think I want to carry it. I will also trade for gold, as it is easier to carry around. I think silver will go up more than gold percentage wise in the big move coming.

Super! 574 ounces (36 pounds!) or grams?

How did customs find it, and find only half? By the X-ray machine, undeclared?

They knew it was silver and didn't want to collect IGV and the excise tax?

Amazing!

Absulutely incredible.
I got charged $60 duty when I brought in my old i mac. On the grounds of what I am reading, maybe I should go and ask for a refund. :D
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:00 pm

I have brought those items ... why wouldnt you be able to? Just bring them.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:58 pm

danjaker wrote:I have brought those items ... why wouldnt you be able to? Just bring them.

The law states that, as a tourist, you are only allowed to enter Peru with a computer that has an independent power supply, ie a laptop with a battery. Also, I was not entering as a tourist so the money was rightfully due.
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:46 am

Interesting, I brought 3 computers, a bunch of silver, some gold, other cash. All kinds of things, was obvious I was moving there, and was only on a tourist visa, no one said anything, I have done that for years too.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:56 am

danjaker wrote:Interesting, I brought 3 computers, a bunch of silver, some gold, other cash. All kinds of things, was obvious I was moving there, and was only on a tourist visa, no one said anything, I have done that for years too.

There are people who have been smuggling cocaine out of the coutry for years and not been caught, but likewise it's still illegal. Just be prepared to pay the duty if you get stopped as there is no argument.
I entered throught the green channel, with my fingers crossed, but got caught out So it does happen. That aside I was quite happy to pay the $60 and have the computer here with me, rather than it be in storage back in the UK.
http://goperu.about.com/od/planningandp ... Basics.htm

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register