Return ticket FROM Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
halfluke

Return ticket FROM Peru

Postby halfluke » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:16 pm

Hello everybody,

I'm back for a new question :)

Has anyone ever bought a return ticket from Peru to U.S. or Europe - without holding a CE?

I'm planning to go back to Italy for a month in June, but then I want to come back here.
I guess the problem is that in Italy they could deny me boarding because it would be as if I had a one-way ticket to Peru (and the airline may be worried for the Peruvian immigration not accepting me)

Is buying a one way ticket showing that I'll be leaving Peru after a relatively short time (such as for example an as cheap as possible ticket to Ecuador), then dispose of the ticket or ask for a refund - still the best "trick"?

Thanks
halfluke

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Return ticket FROM Peru

Postby chi chi » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:33 am

Only once, I have been asked for a return ticket and that was when I flew with TAM from Paris CDG via Sao Paulo to Lima. I had a one-way ticket so the check in agent asked for a CE or DNI which I neither got. So, I showed my Peruvian driving licence. So, the checked me in. She told me that if I can obtain an oficial document like a driving licence then I am a resident. ???

6 months later I flew again with TAM. To avoid hassle I just made a booking with United Airlines at their website.

At the United Airlines website www.united.com, you can make a booking and then when you go to the payment section, you opt to pay by Western Unión. A message will appear that you have 48 hours or so to pay for your ticket but mmediatelly, a booking confirmation is sent to your email. The email doesn't say anything about whether the ticket is allready paid for or not. You can use that as prove of onward travel.

I often used this trick to fly with a one-way ticket to the US. Immigration there almost always asks for a return or onward ticket when you fly to the US as it's not allowed to fly to the US with a one-way ticket. I make a United (fake) booking for an onward flight from the US to Europe. It always worked.
19naia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 19naia » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:18 pm

i flew to peru first time with one way ticket to peru on united airlines....I had an ecuador lan ticket but never got asked for anything and the LAN ticket was waste of $350...I bought an avianca ticket leaving peru this month 1 way also...All from USA.....There is so much inconsistency with the immigration officials that you are even at odds with all your papers and tickets in order as they can stamp you entry for 30-60 or 90 or whatever length of stay they decide as long as its within the maximum.....i bought return ticket for 6 month stay and got only 2 months and then border run for a 3 month extension....I quit peru,lasted only 4 months november til march.....good luck and no need to worry if you have money/means to buy an exit ticket if any time they demand you have one....I would go again on a one way because no guarantee my exit date will match what immigration gives me and then i would need to pay to change it or buy another exit ticket for the date they stamp on my passport
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:50 am

19naia wrote:i bought return ticket for 6 month stay and got only 2 months and then border run for a 3 month extension....I quit peru,lasted only 4 months november til march.....good luck and no need to worry if you have money/means to buy an exit ticket if any time they demand you have one....I would go again on a one way because no guarantee my exit date will match what immigration gives me and then i would need to pay to change it or buy another exit ticket for the date they stamp on my passport

You could also have overstayed and pay the $1 a day fine for every day you overstayed.
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:21 pm

Until this last year, I had never had a problem. Then about a year ago I was flying back to Lima on Spirit and they insisted that I had to have some sort of proof of onward passage. I bought a full price fully refundable ticket Lima to Florida and cancelled it and got a full refund (online) the next day.
Then this last week we were coming back to Lima from Buenos Aires and Avianca questioned us about having onward passage. I told her in my sincerest manner that we weren't sure exactly when we were going to leave but that we would probably be taking a bus to Chile. The agent at check-in was very unsure about it, called her supervisor, then issued our boarding passes with no problem. Apparently the supervisor told her it was ok. We were prepared to buy refundable tickets again if necessary, so it was a relief not to have to do so.
Loving Living in Lima
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:53 pm

edgeclinger wrote:Until this last year, I had never had a problem. Then about a year ago I was flying back to Lima on Spirit and they insisted that I had to have some sort of proof of onward passage. I bought a full price fully refundable ticket Lima to Florida and cancelled it and got a full refund (online) the next day.
Then this last week we were coming back to Lima from Buenos Aires and Avianca questioned us about having onward passage. I told her in my sincerest manner that we weren't sure exactly when we were going to leave but that we would probably be taking a bus to Chile. The agent at check-in was very unsure about it, called her supervisor, then issued our boarding passes with no problem. Apparently the supervisor told her it was ok. We were prepared to buy refundable tickets again if necessary, so it was a relief not to have to do so.

I always make a reservation on www.united.com and opt to pay by Western Unión. Immediatelly, they send you by email a confirmed. The reservation says that you have 48 hours to pay on the second page. When I am asked for a an onward ticket, I show the first pay with the confirmed reservation of United Airlines.
emanaku
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emanaku » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:44 pm

We did travel a couple of times as tourists from Peru e.g. to Mexico, to the US, to New Zealand, to Chile and back to Peru (always with LAN) - there was never a problem EXCEPT only once in New Zealand at the LAN counter they wanted to see the ticket out of Peru (it was a New Zealander working there). After some discussion they finally gave us a boarding pass to Santiago de Chile, and they told us, we had to get the boarding pass for the final leg to Lima there.

This war very uncomfortable because there we had to pick up our luggage, and there was not much of a layover in Santiago - but it worked out perfectly and without any problems: The staff at Santiago was super friendly and nobody wanted to see any other ticket ...

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register