Rules for Yellow Fever Vac. & Iquitos

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rules for Yellow Fever Vac. & Iquitos

Postby koplinfamilia » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:43 pm

Does anyone know if extranjeros are required to have a yellow fever vaccine when traveling to Iquitos? If anyone could shed some light on the topic I would appreciate it.

Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
Damnjoe
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Rules for Yellow Fever Vac. & Iquitos

Postby Damnjoe » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:40 pm

I'm pretty sure it's not necessary, but maybe it would be a good idea for health reasons. I haven't been to Iquitos but I've been in other parts of the jungle and even if it was required, there would be no way to enforce it. I never took a plane. My girlfriend is Peruvian and she took a plane and did not need the shot.
Danny55
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Danny55 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:55 pm

I don't think that it is formal requirement, although it is highly recommended.

I had the shot in Lima before going to Iquitos and was given a little yellow vaccine book (passport size and shape) showing that I had had the shot. I was never asked for this when boarding the plane from Lima to Iquitos, and I was never asked to present it at any time in Iquitos.

Hope this helps.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:53 pm

It is a formal requirement for anyone who goes to the jungle. Unfortunately, it is not always enforced.
I had a friend who's bus was stopped and everyone was given a shot (eventhough it didn't make sense because you need to wait 10 days for exposure, but it is Peru...)

If you know you are going to a place where yellow fever is common, would you expose yourself to it, knowing you can just get a vaccine? I honestly don't see why anyone would consider not to, but that is just me.
Regards,

Argidd
Danny55
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Danny55 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:55 pm

Argidd,

I am not trying to pick an argument here, I am just wondering where it is stated that it is a requirement to have the yellow fever vaccine to visit the jungle? After your replied I tried searching the internet out of interest and I have not been able to find anything that confirms it is required, only that it is recommended - if you have a link I would really appreciate it. Plus if you have a link to what vaccines are required in each part of Peru - that would be really useful info for everybody reading this forum.

Thanks
Dan
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:03 pm

Danny55 wrote:Argidd,

I am not trying to pick an argument here, I am just wondering where it is stated that it is a requirement to have the yellow fever vaccine to visit the jungle? After your replied I tried searching the internet out of interest and I have not been able to find anything that confirms it is required, only that it is recommended - if you have a link I would really appreciate it. Plus if you have a link to what vaccines are required in each part of Peru - that would be really useful info for everybody reading this forum.

Thanks
Dan

I never heard about a requirement either. I know that it's recommended.
Anyway, you won't be denied boarding a flight, bus or boat to Iquitos if you don't have the vaccine. Boats, planes and buses will have to leave almost empty if the rule will be enforced.

I flew many times to Colombia. They recommended people that travelling to the Amazon áreas in Colombia to have the vaccine. Travellers aren't asked if they have the vaccine upon arrival at Bogota Airport but people who want the vaccine can get it free of charge at Bogota airport.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:14 pm

This type of information is posted by the nursing station at Lima airport by domestic arrivals (they also give the shots there)... I'll take a look tomorrow when I fly (if you do not have an answer by then?)
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:21 pm

chi chi wrote:
Danny55 wrote:I flew many times to Colombia. They recommended people that travelling to the Amazon áreas in Colombia to have the vaccine. Travellers aren't asked if they have the vaccine upon arrival at Bogota Airport but people who want the vaccine can get it free of charge at Bogota airport.

Actually Colombia Brazil and Peru share a border in the Amazon at Leticia - Tabatinga- Santa Rosa ("the triangle)" so seems funny you need the vaccine for one but not all? When I crossed at Leticia- Tabatinga they asked to see my vaccine card and would have refused entry had I not had it.
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:47 pm

I had heard something similar to the effect that you had to have the vaccine entering certain countries, again, I don't know if it is accurate but I do remember hearing about something in Puerto Maldonado, people having to get the vaccine once they deboarded the plane if they didn't have proof of having had it. I believe this is only done in epidemic times but I was wondering if anyone had first hand experience.
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:13 pm

http://www.minsa.gob.pe/portada/viajeros.asp
Scroll down to the last bit. Apparently it is highly recommended but not mandatory, althoughagain, I have heard of people being forced into vacindtion. And I repeat my question, if you know it is a risk, why not just do it?
Regards,

Argidd
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:59 am

If you don't have the vaccination at least 10 days before you travel, you might as well just take an Asprin :)
The body needs time to develop protection, plus you can sometimes feel quite ill as a result of the vaccine, which would probably ruin your trip.
Another thing to consider is, if you're traveling on to certain countries, Australia being one of them, there are restrictions on entering the country, if you are coming from somewhere that is declared yellow fever infected. If you try to enter within a specific time period having visited a yellow fever infected country, you'll be denied entry.
Basically, if you refer to the world health organizations web site, which is probably more reliable than this, you will find that it's recommended to have the vaccination.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:13 am

This topic came up in another thread and one response was that you might have trouble boarding certain international airlines, or immigration officials in some countries may refuse you entry if you don't produce a yellow fever certificate after travelling to an infected area.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:53 pm

argidd wrote:It is a formal requirement for anyone who goes to the jungle. Unfortunately, it is not always enforced.
I had a friend who's bus was stopped and everyone was given a shot (eventhough it didn't make sense because you need to wait 10 days for exposure, but it is Peru...)

If you know you are going to a place where yellow fever is common, would you expose yourself to it, knowing you can just get a vaccine? I honestly don't see why anyone would consider not to, but that is just me.

And, of course, it is not only about you. It is a public health issue and all the anti-vaccine hype is doing nothing good for public health worldwide. Get the shot for your own good and for the good of your community.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:56 am

teamoperu wrote:
argidd wrote:It is a formal requirement for anyone who goes to the jungle. Unfortunately, it is not always enforced.

And, of course, it is not only about you. It is a public health issue and all the anti-vaccine hype is doing nothing good for public health worldwide. Get the shot for your own good and for the good of your community.

I truly don't understand why anyone would put themselves, their children, and others at risk.
Regards,

Argidd
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:58 am

There are some very valid points raised here. While I'm sure most people would respect personal decisions, it's a very different matter when not having vaccinations can actually put other people and other people's children at risk, especially if the decisión is based on bad science.
bgreenman
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby bgreenman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:11 pm

I work for a non-profit organization here in Peru, and we routinely take groups to Iquitos (15 - 20 groups from the US and Europe each year). We highly recommend that anyone who comes to Iquitos gets the yellow fever vaccine prior to travel, but in the last five years that I have been working here none of them have been asked to present a vaccination card.

As other people have said, highly recommended but not required.
sprite
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sprite » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:33 pm

i wish i'd known that lots of places in peru offer this vacc for free. would have saved a LOT of money.
tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomasb » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:21 pm

I know a yellow fever shot is not required for Iquitos but it is recommended particularly if you travel on the river beyond Iquitos. I received my shot at the GoodHope Hospital in Miraflores. They also give you a yellow fever card, which is good for ten years.

Several years I lost this card while traveling. Last year when I returned from Lima to the US, I decided to fly to El Salvador for a few days and booked my flight on United via TACA. It is only 10k of frequent flier miles from Lima to SAL one way. Unfortunately, when I arrived at the Lima airport TACA line, I was asked for my yellow fever card. I found out the hard way that this is a requirement to fly to ElSalvador from Peru, Ecuador, and a few other Latin American countries. Since I did not have a card I was not allowed to board and missed the flight.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:11 pm

tomasb wrote:. I found out the hard way that this is a requirement to fly to ElSalvador from Peru, Ecuador, and a few other Latin American countries. Since I did not have a card I was not allowed to board and missed the flight.

Costa Rica also has similar requirements.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register