Kefir and/or kombucha starter cultures in Lima

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
ranchevy1302

Kefir and/or kombucha starter cultures in Lima

Postby ranchevy1302 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:45 am

Hi, does any one have any kefir grains or a kombucha baby SCOBY that I could have or buy? Or, where I can find theses cultures? Some Peruvian friends back in the States told me that they are readily available in the "barrio chino" but when I asked my in-laws, they didn't seem to be so sure, and asked me where exactly in the "barrio chino" I had been told...in other words, they have no idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Kefir and/or kombucha starter cultures in Lima

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:22 pm

I brought back a few bottles of kombucha so I could try to get my own SCOBY going. I'm about to start the process and if successful you're more than welcome to a baby. I live in Arequipa and guessing you live in Lima. If you can figure out how to get it to you I'll be glad to hook you up. Keep us informed if you come across a source and I'll pm you with the results of my attempt to start my own culture.
DAF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby DAF » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:33 am

Arbol de la vida in miraflores next to the saturday bioferia has kombucha drink but you might want to call them to find out if it's in stock or perhaps they can point you to the right direction. Their location is https://www.google.com/maps/place/Maria ... a7010434c8

and their website is http://www.arboldelavida.com.pe/

Today I literally just deleted a high quality milk kefir I was going to buy on my amazon shopping cart as I don't think it would survive the long shipping time.

I remember finding many people selling kombucha mothers online through olx, regardless though just type in "kombucha lima peru" in google and you should get some people selling their personal batches as I tried finding a while ago and stores don't sell them to my knowledge.

Also kefir grains here I have never found particularly online.

If you find any good milk kefir grains I would like to buy some as well so let me know.

Cheers.
Tom01273

Postby Tom01273 » Mon May 05, 2014 12:10 am

Hi ironchefchris,

Any luck getting your own SCOBY going?

I am am also living in Arequipa and am interested in starting making my own kombucha. Would like to know how it went for you, I am a novice in this area but would love to start making healthy fermented products for my wife and I. Read about it online and it seems simple enough just missing the SCOBY or kombucha to get started.

Cheers
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon May 05, 2014 11:35 am

Just started the process a week ago so too soon to gauge success. This is my first attempt. At this point not sure if a mother is forming or I'm looking at a future jar of mold. I'll post an update.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:20 am

First batch was a success but no baby formed. I've read this is normal. One week into the second batch and I see a baby forming, so if anyone is interested in making their own Kombucha and is looking for a baby SCOBY (gratis) let me know.
Tom01273

Postby Tom01273 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:03 pm

Great news ironchefchris,

I am heading back to the UK soon otherwise I would have taken you up on your kind offer. I will get started with kombucha when I am there now.

I did find a recipe for Ginger bug (http://wellnessmama.com/8942/how-to-make-a-ginger-bug/) and have had some success and made 3/4 batches of a fizzy fermented drink. Tastes good thought you might be interested so I posted the link here.

Happy brewing

Tom
lij317

Postby lij317 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:20 am

I found bottled Kombucha at Eco Tienda Natural on San Martin in Miraflores - I've never tried to grow my own starter. How do you do that? I was hoping to find water kefir grains or Kombucha starter from someone once I moved here. We've only been here for about a month, so this is the first I have started looking.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:59 pm

Offer for free SCOBY/kombucha starter still stands. Can give away several strong cultures.
Mamama

Postby Mamama » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:07 am

I would love to get a baby to start making kombucha again. Where can I pick it up? Thank you!!!
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:12 pm

I live in Arequipa. I started my culture with a few bottles of store bought Kombucha. Very easy.
lij317

Postby lij317 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:11 pm

We had a friend fly down from Florida with some water kefir grains. I am not sure shape they are in yet. Going to give them some TLC and get them producing again. So in the coming weeks, if someone is interested in water kefir grains, I hope to have some ready to give away.

I gave up on the Kombucha starter - water kefir is easier for me to maintain and brew :)
jmorrison

Postby jmorrison » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:09 pm

Hello ironchefchris, are you still offering gratis a baby SCOBY/Kombucha? would love to get one for my mom who is sick, She lives in Lima.

Thanks!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register