Buying bread flour or gluten

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
katebruder
Silver Member
Silver Member

Buying bread flour or gluten

Postby katebruder » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:54 pm

I would like to start making my own bagels but can't seem to find the key ingredient - bread flour...

Assuming it would be hard to find here, I did a simple Google search and discovered that I could use harina sin preparar plus gluten (1 cup flour + 1 tablespoon gluten). So I searched my local Wong, Vivanda, and the market on Encalada/Primavera and couldn't find either ingredient. I thought to try a panaderia to see if I could buy bread flour from them but in an effort to not go to every panaderia from Surco to the center of Lima, has anybody done this before?.

Does anybody know where I could buy either bread flour OR gluten? Or, know of a specific panaderia that sells bread flour?

Also, would "bread flour" be harina de pan? Everybody I asked about bread flour gave me a puzzled look and said "I have preparar y sin preparar" !

Thanks.

argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Buying bread flour or gluten

Postby argidd » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi Kate

I have no idea if gluten is something you can buy???

Anyway, I've made bread, buns, etc. What you use is harina preparada.
Harina preparada is basically flour with a rising agent (baking powder). To make bread you usually use harina preparada plus levadura (yeast).

Bear in mind, if you need really fine flour, go to Wong and buy the Italian Farina 00, that is a flour that is used for pizza dough (the packet has a picture of a slice of pizza), it is very fine.

Oh, and yes, it is very simple. In Peru you only have harina preparada (used for food that does not rise, such as crepes, crusts, etc.) and harina preparada for everything else (cakes, breads, buns, pancakes, etc.).

I hope this helps, email me if anything else comes to mind!
Regards,

Argidd
katebruder
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby katebruder » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:45 pm

Thanks Argidd...

I thought to use regular flour but after a few searches of "bread flour vs. all-purpose flour" it did not sounds like it would work as well. Maybe it works for certain breads, cakes, buns but a few times I saw that it would not be heavy enough for bagels.

Somebody once told me about an area in Lince (Arequipa c/ Risso area more or less but I can't remember the specifics) that has a lot of baking stores or places that sell bulk ingredients. Does anybody know where specifically this is?
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:36 pm

sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:49 pm

Yes Madre Natura in Miraflores has Gluten (and lots of other great healthy ingredients for bread) and just last week I saw it as well at the Plaza Vea at Ovalo Higuereta for the first time in 8 years.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register