Drywall vs Brick and Motar - Which is safer for earthquake?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
marysears

Drywall vs Brick and Motar - Which is safer for earthquake?

Postby marysears » Wed May 21, 2014 6:09 am

We are going to build an apartment on top of a two story brick and mortar house. I was wondering if it is safe to build a Drywall apartment on top of a brick and mortar one? and will it be safer than if we use brick and mortar? I am especially concerned about earthquakes. Anyone have any problems with a Drywall building in Peru?

argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Drywall vs Brick and Motar - Which is safer for earthquake?

Postby argidd » Wed May 21, 2014 2:47 pm

I believe you should ask the municipality that first. I'm not sure if drywall is allowed for larger constructions (say more than just 1 room or a storage closet).
Regards,

Argidd
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Wed May 21, 2014 3:39 pm

Drywall would have to used on interior walls only. Not sure but it should be more cost effective than interior cement over block walls. Most of time if they are not load baring walls there is no need for the substantialness and weight of a block/stucco interior wall. Look around at malls. I see they are using drywall overhead. Not very good at it yet, but servers it purpose. Another nice thing about gypsum board is you can knock it down and put it up later in another local. Try doing that with block! Pretty messy! :) probaly a lot of info on the web about drywall versus stucco. Not sure of it availabity here though. But with a little practice, putting up drywallmis not rocket science for tge DIYer! Keep us posted on how it goes!
barry james

Postby barry james » Wed May 21, 2014 11:33 pm

Drywall normally used on interior walls only.

Remember, there are different types of plasterboard for different purposes. For example, we use a different type of plasterboard for the ceilings in bathrooms. Generally, where you might have a lot of steam, from a bath or a shower, the finish coat of paint will peel very quickly if the correct type of plasterboard is not used.

Contact www.arcoac.com, we will assist you with any further queries you may have regarding your building project.

Barry.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Thu May 22, 2014 3:48 pm

marysears wrote:We are going to build an apartment on top of a two story brick and mortar house. I was wondering if it is safe to build a Drywall apartment on top of a brick and mortar one? and will it be safer than if we use brick and mortar? I am especially concerned about earthquakes. Anyone have any problems with a Drywall building in Peru?

recently, i have seen a lot of people adding drywall to the tops of their roofs, because of its light weight, low cost and ease of construction. i would just make sure there is nothing near yours in case a wall would come toppling down.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu May 22, 2014 9:23 pm

You should be able to add an extra floor made totally of dry wall as the apartment i'm living in is all dry wall.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Fri May 23, 2014 11:12 am

Just remember drywall is only used for the interior finish of a home. Outside would have to be something more substancial sound.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Fri May 23, 2014 12:14 pm

captcosmic wrote:Just remember drywall is only used for the interior finish of a home. Outside would have to be something more substancial sound.

Maybe drywall is only supposed to be used for interior finish, but just look up as you walk around lima and you'll soon realize that's not the case here.
I've often seen full consructions taking place on peoples roof tops, using only drywall.
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Fri May 23, 2014 1:59 pm

Metal studs and drywall are a good choice for non-structurally loaded walls such as the top floor. However, even though top floors may not have live loads, it does have dead load with the roof structure it supports and consequently, needs to be designed with that capability. Metal studs can be used for this roof load. There are other materials available in Lima sufficient for exterior walls, but if you select the correct drywall material such as "green" drywall typically used in bathrooms, it is acceptable to be used in this exterior environment and can stand moisture if sealed with the correct paint. Studded drywalls are good in an earthquake due to their ability to bend and swing, but will not protect you from neighboring crumbling masonry structures. Masonry walls crack and fall according to the amount of rebar used and design. Another issue, there are foam 4 x 8 sheets of closed cell foam available in Lima that are perfect to place in the studded walls and will act as insulation for heated and air conditioned homes. You need to "foam in" (seal in) the foam sheets with cans of spray foam also available in Lima. There is a good roofing material available that is the foam sheets laminated with chip board. It works well with studded walls. You have to cover this material with some type of water proofing that is also available in Lima. I intend to build in Lima using these methods. Note, I am an engineer, but not a structural engineer, so please engage a structural engineer to advise you before you begin......
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Fri May 23, 2014 8:14 pm

No way would i put drywall on the outside. Backerboard is a whole nother animal. Properly sealed, it should get less moisture than a shower in limas climate! I have not seen anyone doing standard drywall on the exterior yet, but will keep an eye out.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sun May 25, 2014 6:24 pm

Just looked out of my window and all the buildings next to my house to the side and back all have dry wall top floors. It's also the same board on the outside as the inside on all the buildings.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sun May 25, 2014 6:25 pm

Just looked out of my window and all the buildings next to my house to the side and back all have dry wall top floors. It's also the same board on the outside as the inside on all the buildings.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Sun May 25, 2014 8:03 pm

My wifes house is in Salamanca and there are not any that i have seen. About 6 new seven story apartment buildings, butno gypsum board in sight.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sun May 25, 2014 11:04 pm

It's more likely to be on the smaller properties that are just 2 or 3 stories high and the family wants to extend upwards.

The apartment where i live is made totally out of drywall inside and out. It's pretty warm inside during the summer as it heats up and you'll usually see temperatures of 39c when i turn on the air con unit. It's not great at keeping noise out either but luckly i live in a very quiet neighbourhood.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sun May 25, 2014 11:06 pm

I guess it depends which part of Lima your in as well but like i say 3 of the 4 buildings next to me have dry wall extentions on top.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Thu May 29, 2014 9:03 pm

Nearby i saw a fourcstory building. Looks likevto two floorscwere sheeted in gypsum. I did a little looking. Suprised to see Lima has only under 0.5 inches of rain per year! Holy cow, i guess sheet rock would last, as long as the support structure is there. Just dont tell the thieves they can just stick their fist through the wall! :)
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby goalie3443 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:02 pm

sounds like they are saying hardie backer board and stick built construction because you aint building nothing with strictly sheetrock....

brick and mortar will obviously hold up better regarding earthquakes and normal wear and tear. come on wood n sheetrock vs brick n crete? no question.
Jeffe

http://mochilerosperu.wordpress.com
Peru Budget Travel and Review Blog
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon May 15, 2017 3:52 pm

We are doing Drywall at the beach, We have had a problem living near the beach in Miraflores with concrete/ Mold, my kid got sick years ago, also mold in the closets on the clothes.

We opted for a concrete foundation with steel powder coated girders. In Peru most home only have the front and rear exposure. So only 2 exterior walls are exposed. But they are coated with something like Stucco . In Chiclayo I have seen commercial building and homes done in drywall. You may need steel support beams or concrete to build additional floors.

Google videos on Drywall Peru, lots of construction videos with drywall

SECRET TO EXTERIOR AND INTERIOR DRYWALL IN DAMP REGIONS

Secret Tip Time!
The SECRET TIP to making the drywall waterproof is to coat the paper surfaces of the drywall, including the edges, with clear water-based urethane BEFORE you finish the drywall.
Last edited by tupacperu on Mon May 15, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon May 15, 2017 4:00 pm

Talk to these guys in Lima, they've done steel reinforced multi floor projects. Most people now are doing 2nd and 3rd floor additions with drywall.

https://youtu.be/FCOn65XpKrg
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon May 15, 2017 4:10 pm

As far as noise and drywall, get good insulation.
We live in a concrete highrise with windows between apartments in the middle of the structure... you don't need a megaphone for the nrighbors to here your business, even the clopping of wheeled book bags in the hallway in the morning. The neighbor above drops a coin and you can hear it. I have 2 kids.. luckily the apt below is unoccupied..lol
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon May 15, 2017 4:15 pm

goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby goalie3443 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:57 pm

yeah that stuff is probably more like hardie backer board than straight sheetrock, says a sheet weighs 75lbs and doesn't require exterior paneling and is fire rated and moisture resistant.

But as far as both safety and security is concerned I would take rebar and crete over that anyday. would be easy to break into any wall made with that also.

Sure beach palapa's are an obvious exception and it can be of use but not for structures requiring security or load bearing where there is anything overhead other than sheathing and roofing.

Certainly not trying to flame just that the thread asks which is safer for earthquake obviously you dont want your roof caving in on top of you and your family in the event of a huge tremblor....just saying if I was gonna build and I am getting ready to in Peru soon that I will probably go with brick and mortar atleast for the support and sides, hoping for the beach too but not sure yet.

I remember a friend of my wifes saying he wanted to start installing that stuff a few years back but he mainly does security surveillance systems...
Jeffe

http://mochilerosperu.wordpress.com
Peru Budget Travel and Review Blog
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue May 16, 2017 3:16 pm

I have lived in LA most my life. I have seen concrete parking structures collapse and ribar snap. The weight of the concrete will crush you to death. In Peru the only external structures are the front entrance and the back wall., so yes concrete would be appropriate.. but inside I prefer drywall, especially for installing cables or building or dividing rooms, so much more flexible
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue May 16, 2017 3:34 pm

From what I have researched it depends on the concentrated of the ribar. I have yet to see this type of reinforcement in Peru.

http://graphics.latimes.com/towergraphi ... ete-risks/
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue May 16, 2017 3:41 pm

At the 16 second mark. In general this is how I see ribar used in hime building in Peru.

https://youtu.be/w7MXGQgLeNk

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register