Coffee Farm Stay

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
themontes17

Coffee Farm Stay

Postby themontes17 » Thu May 29, 2014 2:20 pm

Hey! My husband and I heard that you can stay on coffee farms in the Cusco area, but I'm having a hard time finding anything online. If anyone has any suggestions, we'd really appreciate it!

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Coffee Farm Stay

Postby caliguy » Thu May 29, 2014 2:44 pm

i believe the closest coffee plantation to Cusco is in Quillabamba. i've never heard of "staying on a
coffee farm", unless you are purchasing coffee from the owner.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
themontes17

Postby themontes17 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 pm

I'm talking about farmers who also do home stays.... I'll try searching in Quillabamba, thanks for the tip.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu May 29, 2014 5:24 pm

If all the coffee one can drink is involved I wouldn't last long. They'd soon ask me to leave for drinking up most of the profits.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu May 29, 2014 6:27 pm

I looked into this a few years ago and noticed it was common in Colombia, but so far I've not seen it in Peru. If you do find any information, I'd be grateful if you could post it. It's something I've fancied doing for a while.

Otherwise, two thoughts: It might be worth thinking about a trip to Colombia if you're really keen for the experience and it doesn't have to be Peru, otherwise you could look into getting involved here in Peru by finding an entrepreneurial farmer who wants to branch out.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu May 29, 2014 7:30 pm

What does this involve? Some kind of work exchange, or is it more like a vacation?
themontes17

Postby themontes17 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:14 pm

Ooo very cool about Colombia.

We got the idea awhile back after talking to a man at a hostel in Pisac. He was working at the hostel and told us about his family's coffee farm in the jungle. He said that people could come out and work on it and stay for free. He gave us all his contact info, but he's never gotten back to us! So our thought was that maybe we could find a work exchange type thing. We're both really interested in learning about coffee farming and roasting, so we'd love that.

On the other hand, I found a lovely family farm on Air B&B that seems like it would be a little bit fancier. I think it's too expensive for us to do right now, but maybe someone else would be interested in it. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/233392
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu May 29, 2014 10:10 pm

There are all sorts of ways of doing this. Several years ago, it was really aimed at just enthusiasts and it was really how you organised it with the individual farmers, but these days it's got a bit slicker as Colombia's got safer and become a tourist destination. So I think even in a few years, it's changed quite a bit.

You can just stay at a farm, as a guest and pay the going room rate. You can do voluntary work. You can be part of a co-operative and muck in and then you can get high-end stays where they teach you all about what they're doing and it's like going to visit a vineyard.

So it's up to you how you do it. The important thing is do a lot of research and work out what kind of trip you want. Here's a few websites. I'll post some more if I can find them, otherwise just try that old magic box with Google on it.

http://www.colombia.travel/en/internati ... o-colombia

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2006/ ... odanddrink

http://www.haciendavenecia.com/
tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomasb » Fri May 30, 2014 1:45 am

There is a great coffee farm in El Salvador that includes a nice restaurant, pool, and pretty cabanas owned by an American/Salvadorian. It is a very extensive and productive coffee farm and tours are part of the stay. The farm is about an hour drive from the capital. United generally offers inexpensive miles with their frequent flier program (20k round trip) from Lima to San Salvador. The owner is a colorful character who survived the political and economic turmoil over the last several decades.

I have been to Quillabamba several times and it is a nice place to visit due especially to the great climate but never heard about any accommodations at coffee farms. I imagine if you knew someone personally it could be arranged but hard to do as a stranger.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri May 30, 2014 9:10 am

themontes17 wrote:Ooo very cool about Colombia.

We got the idea awhile back after talking to a man at a hostel in Pisac. He was working at the hostel and told us about his family's coffee farm in the jungle. He said that people could come out and work on it and stay for free. He gave us all his contact info, but he's never gotten back to us! So our thought was that maybe we could find a work exchange type thing. We're both really interested in learning about coffee farming and roasting, so we'd love that.

On the other hand, I found a lovely family farm on Air B&B that seems like it would be a little bit fancier. I think it's too expensive for us to do right now, but maybe someone else would be interested in it. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/233392

looks like a really nice place. i will put that on my list next time i visit Cusco :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Laura95

Postby Laura95 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:14 pm

Wow in Latin America there are beautiful places to visit. For example, I have traveled through much of Colombia and I have fallen in love with the beautiful places it has. One of the most striking and quiet is Salento, it has coffee tours and the people who live there are very friendly. Go I recommend it.
https://quehacerensalento.com/

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register