House-build guide price, Pucallpa?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
User avatar
StephenUK
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:29 am
Location: Suffolk, UK - Pucallpa, Perú

House-build guide price, Pucallpa?

Postby StephenUK » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:00 am

Hello.

My wife and I own some undeveloped land in Pucallpa and would like to build a 2-bedroom single floor house with rendered-brick walls and tiled roof. Say 150 sq. metres. The wish is to eventually retire almost permanently there.

Please can anyone give us a guide to the approximate cost for the complete project? At present we have no idea whether it is a viable proposition or not.

We intend to look for a reliable architect or design-build company in Pucallpa to oversee the whole project from initial plans to completion as we cannot be present most of the time. Our first contact with one architect offers to provide all plans, but no construction/management, for 10,000 Soles, which to me sounds very expensive, but of course we need to do a lot of research.

Please can someone point us in the right direction?


User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: House-build guide price, Pucallpa?

Postby chi chi » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:11 am

Thrustworthy and competent builders are hard to find. Just have a look at all the new condominiums and flats that are being built. Quality is low and when they are completed then there are many faults.

Not being able to oversee the construction isn't smart to do.
You must count every brick, every bag of cement, every meter of cable you bought. Building materials will disappear and problems will be invented to get more money from you.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:49 pm

Re: House-build guide price, Pucallpa?

Postby mammamia » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:27 pm

StephenUK wrote:Hello.

My wife and I own some undeveloped land in Pucallpa and would like to build a 2-bedroom single floor house with rendered-brick walls and tiled roof. Say 150 sq. metres. The wish is to eventually retire almost permanently there.

Please can anyone give us a guide to the approximate cost for the complete project? At present we have no idea whether it is a viable proposition or not.

We intend to look for a reliable architect or design-build company in Pucallpa to oversee the whole project from initial plans to completion as we cannot be present most of the time. Our first contact with one architect offers to provide all plans, but no construction/management, for 10,000 Soles, which to me sounds very expensive, but of course we need to do a lot of research.

Please can someone point us in the right direction?


I would say 5 -7 thousand would be a reasonable price for a project in provincias, I paid S/.7,000 for a two floor house, I mean just architecture and design plans.
User avatar
StephenUK
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:29 am
Location: Suffolk, UK - Pucallpa, Perú

Re: House-build guide price, Pucallpa?

Postby StephenUK » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:36 am

Thanks. I'll use 5k soles for design and plans because I assume a single floor building is less complex.

Like UK, is there national institute for architects? I'm beginning to believe there are only graduates from regional colleges. Not a governing body.

I take the point about overseeing the project carefully. It is a lot easier to take advantage of a foreigner, especially when he is looking the other way! It happens in UK, so why not Perú?!

We will not be present all the time but we believe we have family members in Pucallpa who can look after our interests and keep those involved in the project on the straight and narrow. We have good communications to be involved all the time. We just need to find a reliable professional to coordinate with us and manage the project :?

Can anyone recommend someone in Pucallpa?

What is a reasonable guide price to build a good quality, solid wall/tiled roof, single floor 2-bed house?

Thanks again
monsulim
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 11:41 pm

Re: House-build guide price, Pucallpa?

Postby monsulim » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:02 pm

Hi --I've lived in Pucallpa for the last 8 years. I built my house with about $10,000 and it's still unfinished. Our house measures 7 meters by 7 meters. The first floor is made of brick and the second one is made of wood. Although building the structure can be expensive, what costs more is putting the finishing touches (electricity wiring, tiles, etc.) Here they call it "acabado."

I have a friend who is building a one story place in the center of Yarina, and has had to pay exhorbitant amounts of money to engineers and architects to okay her construction, so that the municipality can give her the go ahead. Make sure you can build without a permit from the municipality, otherwise, they might close you down. I'll contact her to see if she can recommend the person she used.

Just a thought, brick houses can be really hot. They absorb the sunlight all day and retain the heat most of the night. Other options are to build a house where the lower half is made of brick and the upper part of wood (called "seminoble") or build the house entirely out of wood. Lumber is now expensive in Pucallpa, since it's becoming more and more scarce. I've been told that building a wooden house is about the same as building a brick one.

Hope this helps.
Danny55
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:12 am
Location: Sol de La Molina, Lima

Re: House-build guide price, Pucallpa?

Postby Danny55 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:04 am

StephenUK wrote:Like UK, is there national institute for architects? I'm beginning to believe there are only graduates from regional colleges. Not a governing body.


Yes, it is called the 'Colegio de Arquitectos del Peru'
Here is the link
http://www.cap.org.pe/cap/

Each member is issued with their own unique CAP number and stamp (which also has there number).

Not all architects gain this status, so they have to get their plans approved from a CAP member who takes responsibility for the plans. Ideally you will want to use an architect who is a CAP member.
barry james
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 6:09 pm

Re: House-build guide price, Pucallpa?

Postby barry james » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi Stephen,

I understand your predicament. I am the general manager of a construction company owned and operated by a group of North American and European partners.
I'm actually Irish, our website is http://www.arcoac.com , this will give you some information regarding the scale of work that we do. My email is [email protected].

I spoke of your predicament with another partner of mine and when we hear of foreigners trying to do something like what your doing, alarm bells start ringing. We are all well experienced in working construction in Peru and we are also well aware of the pitfalls that may lie ahead of you.

If you are in Lima or you are planning to come soon, we will be more than willing to spend some time with you to discuss your project.

Best Regards,

Barry.
User avatar
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 751
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Re: House-build guide price, Pucallpa?

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:28 pm

chi chi wrote:Thrustworthy and competent builders are hard to find. Just have a look at all the new condominiums and flats that are being built. Quality is low and when they are completed then there are many faults.

Not being able to oversee the construction isn't smart to do.
You must count every brick, every bag of cement, every meter of cable you bought. Building materials will disappear and problems will be invented to get more money from you.


I have to agree with chi chi on this. First make sure you have a good quality builder, you will it's sad to say have to watch over almost all of the work done by them to make sure it's done correctly. There is no way to possibly describe just how totally and utterly useless most Peruvian builders can be and you could forever be paying to have stuff repaired.

Maybe it's just my bad luck but currently its a 70-80% failure rate for work completed or things repaired. Painting especially watch them as they will water your paint down so much that it will need painted again in a few months.

I've mentioned how bad the builders are here to Peruvian friend and they basically asked if "i stood and watched them do the job?". When i said no, the reply was "well there's your problem!"
User avatar
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pimentel Beach-Chiclayo- Sanford NC
Contact:

Re: House-build guide price, Pucallpa?

Postby tupacperu » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:48 am

Barry, we need to talk. I own a 210 M2 Casona on Pimentel Beach, Lambayeque. Do you or your Company do work there? I already have Plans that have been presented to the Municipalidad and are preapproved. We were saving money and investing and we are ready to build. I will email you the plans at your email: [email protected] and give you my contact info. Just wanted an estimated cost of construction since we already own the land.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register