Obtaining internet.

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
alongwayfromgeorgia

Obtaining internet.

Postby alongwayfromgeorgia » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:18 pm

Hey everyone,

My wife and I arrived the 22 of August and are still (as I am sure we will be for a long time) getting used to Lima. We are here for six months before moving up into the mountains. Can anyone give me advice on obtaining internet. Our landlord on the first floor gave us her password, but the internet is terrible. I've looked online at movistar and they seem to have okay plans, but I can't order online because they only accept DIN and not passport numbers.

Any tips on how to get internet? Who the best is? Etc.

Also, this is fijo I am looking for... I need a router to connect my magic jack to.

Thanks!

-----
Joseph
From the U.S.
Lived in Peru since August, 2014.
Danny55
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Obtaining internet.

Postby Danny55 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:11 pm

I have movistar as of december last year and I used my passport to obtain it. But, I did go along to the movistar store with my passport.
I had no problem.

Regarding who is best to get - it really depends on what is available in your area - at the time only movistar was available in my street. Kind of made the decision making easier.
alongwayfromgeorgia

Postby alongwayfromgeorgia » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:37 pm

I am going with Olo after speaking with them on the phone.

It was quite easy. Called them, told them what I wanted and they will be here tomorrow to set it up. It is a pre-paid unlimited plan. I can also change the velocity from month to month. No contract, no fuss. We will see how the service is... I will update everyone!
-----
Joseph
From the U.S.
Lived in Peru since August, 2014.
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:36 am

I hope that it is easier than it was for us 2 years ago. I think we called or visited Movistar offices about 8 times. They would tell us that they would send someone to hook us up and that we could do it with passport only. Then the service people would show up at our apartment and refuse to do the connection without a DNI. We finally gave up and got Claro, but I think the only reason we were able to get that was because we had had it in our previous apartment and the landlord had signed for us. I was thoroughly disgusted with both of them and wish there was a way to get internet without them. Right now I would like to upgrade the speed but dread a trip to their office.
Loving Living in Lima
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:48 am

I have cable TV and internet with Claro.

I used my Passport as identification. They did a credit check and the next day, the came to install cable TV and internet. Internet is Móvil with as USB. Much better, I can surf on the internet anywhere in Peru.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register