Applying for Peruvian drivers license using foreign license

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
katebruder
Silver Member
Silver Member

Applying for Peruvian drivers license using foreign license

Postby katebruder » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:51 pm

Has anybody applied for a Peruvian drivers license using a drivers license from another country?

I see on the Touring website that I can use my valid Michigan drivers license as part of the process and avoid having to take the road test. In addition to presenting the actual ID, I also need to provide a certification issued by the Competent Authority to grant such license, proving its authenticity and the class of vehicle it authorizes.

My question is what does this document look like? I contacted the Michigan Secretary of State (our DMV) about this and they gave me an option but it doesn't seem formal enough for Peru... Has anybody done this before?

Danny55
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Applying for Peruvian drivers license using foreign license

Postby Danny55 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:38 am

I was told by touring that they will only now accept the certificate if it has an apostille stamp and has been officially translated. You will also have to hand over your US driving license. For the cost of the road test and the fact that it is so easy it makes zero sense IMO to give up your US license for a Peruvian one.
Details are on the the touring website.
NickCasper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Applying for Peruvian drivers license using foreign license

Postby NickCasper » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:24 pm

I'm looking to get a license too. I was researching everything. Dude, just study that simulacro virtual over and over and over again. I have been doing that for a week and now i know all the answers. Then the course test and that's that. getting this or that from the states is too costly then translate, surrender american license, etc. Better take the test like you're a kid again.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register