Customs regulations: tourist vs. resident

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Customs regulations: tourist vs. resident

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:54 pm

Are the quantities of things allowed to be brought into Peru different for residents with a carnet than they are for tourists entering on a tourist visa?

tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Customs regulations: tourist vs. resident

Postby tupacperu » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:02 am

Same for both Peruvian and Tourist

I have brought many items in and claimed them. It is not so much the quantity it is the value. There is a limit on how much you can bring per year. I believe it is $1000 per trip or $3000 per year.

When a traveler carries goods to be declared, he must also fill in and sign the Baggage Declaration form for the article or articles that do not exceed a value of US$1000.00 per trip or a total of US$3000.00 per calendar year.

http://www.expatperu.com/cregulations.php

I do not know if it is per family or per person.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:38 am

Where's chi chi? He's sure to know a way round this legal hick-up. :lol:
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:36 am

panman wrote:Where's chi chi? He's sure to know a way round this legal hick-up. :lol:

He may have done a runner following the article on visa abuse.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:23 pm

Looks like some of the limits for personal effects have been raised. Where the limit used to be one camera it's now two. Not sure if it's always been two mobile phones or if that's changed as well.

http://www.sunat.gob.pe/orientacionadua ... Ingles.pdf
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:11 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Looks like some of the limits for personal effects have been raised. Where the limit used to be one camera it's now two. Not sure if it's always been two mobile phones or if that's changed as well.

You're right they changed both more cells and cameras a short while ago
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:47 pm

Check the Spanish-language pages as well, because sometimes the Spanish pages are updated but the English ones not.

Also, something I learned recently, if you want to declare something you're taking out of the country and wish to return with without it counting towards your allowance, then you need to do a declaration before passing all the security checks in the airport.

I was taking a laptop out and wanted to bring back two laptops. Unfortunately I missed the desk where you do the declaration, and so I had no paperwork. The guy on the X-ray machine spotted my two laptops and I was just getting ready to plead my case when he obviously had pity or something and just let me go.

Also, various times my wife has had me bring in large numbers of pairs of trainers or branded clothes or whatever, and it seems that they are genuinely not interested in these. Once I tried to declare them and pay the tax, but I was told that I didn't need to put them on the list. However, 20 XBoxes, or two suitcases full of French cosmetics (genuine case I heard of) do set their SUNAT antennae twirling, so expect trouble in those cases.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:39 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Looks like some of the limits for personal effects have been raised. Where the limit used to be one camera it's now two. Not sure if it's always been two mobile phones or if that's changed as well.

I find it amusing that it says "(2) mobile phones **" and then on the margin it explains that ** means "one (1) mobile phone for travelers over 7 years old".

So young children up to seven years old get to have TWO mobile phones but everyone else only gets one? LOL :lol:

"Yes sir, these are my infant's two iPhone 6 pluses. He likes to set them up next to each other in his stroller and multitask."

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register