That $178 LAN "multa"

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

That $178 LAN "multa"

Postby teamoperu » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:00 am

LAN is an airline. It cannot fine you. It does offer deep discount fares to residents of Peru ostensibly to promote domestic tourism in Peru. More likely they are just competing with the bus-camas. When you buy a Base (X) fare it warns you it is for residents only and if they catch you not being a resident they can impose a multa (really an additional fee). You can agree to this contract. If they catch you, you pay: if they do not catch you, you do not. I have been advised by nice LAN staff on ways people can avoid being caught. It is not illegal, LAN is an airline not the government. It is not even immoral, both parties mutually agreed to the terms and conditions of the contract. And if they catch you they do not give you the Singapore torture and a tongue lashing, they just smile and tell you how to pay.

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: That $178 LAN "multa"

Postby chi chi » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:36 pm

[quote="teamoperu"]LAN is an airline. It cannot fine you. It does offer deep discount fares to residents of Peru ostensibly to promote domestic tourism in Peru. More likely they are just competing with the bus-camas. When you buy a Base (X) fare it warns you it is for residents only and if they catch you not being a resident they can impose a multa (really an additional fee).[/quote

I don't think they make a lot of money by charging that $178 non resident fee.
Non residents just fly TACA, Starperu or Peruvian Airlines.
I think they will make more money if they abolish that stupid fee. Peruvian Airlines, Starperu and Peruvian Airlines are the only ones that benefit from that fee because gringos just fly with them and avoid LAN like the pest.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:04 pm

chi chi wrote:I don't think they make a lot of money by charging that $178 non resident fee.
I think they will make more money if they abolish that stupid fee. Peruvian Airlines, Starperu and Peruvian Airlines are the only ones that benefit from that fee because gringos just fly with them and avoid LAN like the pest.

Exactly, which is why i fly Peruvian Airlines within Peru. that is a good point chi chi, if Lan did not charge the non resident fee, they would probably get more passengers.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Solo Angel

Postby Solo Angel » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:23 pm

It is my understanding there is no non resident fee, just a different rates for residents and non residents. There is, however, a $178 penalty LAN has the option to charge if you get caught trying to board with a resident ticket when you are not.
The fewer people on the plane the happier I am.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:11 pm

Since getting my carnet and being eligible for the $178 discount for residents I've found the cheapest fares usually to be on LAN, though without the discount, Peruvian or Avianca may be cheaper. There doesn't seem to be a set pattern. Today one airline is cheaper, for a flight tomorrow it might be another. One thing I've noticed is that every LAN flight I've taken has been full. They might not get as much business from non-residents, but I'm sure they make up for it with the added business they get from the far, far larger pool of residents who take advantage of LAN's generally lower prices. However it works out for them, I'm sure LAN has their business model figured out. They've been around for quite awhile.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:54 pm

In my opinion LAN have by far the best fleet of aircraft and offer the best service within Peru. Also I'm more than happy for non residents to subside my fares. As Solo Angel said, the fewer people on the plane the happier I am. :)
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:11 pm

Peruvian flies some pretty old aircraft.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:16 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Peruvian flies some pretty old aircraft.

Peruvian and Starperu both fly aircrafts that are around 25 years old but they are in a pristine condition and the cabins and toilets are very clean.

Fly with the average US or European airline on an aircraft that's only a few years old and you feel like you are flying in a dumpster.

And even on a domestic flight, the airlines in Peru give you a complimentary snack and a drink and the crew is friendly and helpfull.

Airlines in Europe and the US charge ripp off prices for a dried out sándwich and mini-cans of soda. And if you want the crew to be friendly to you, you probably have to pay extra for that privilege as well.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:58 pm

I flew on Star once, and it smelled like one thousand llamas slept on the plane before we got on it. Never has that happened to me in any other airline.
Regards,

Argidd
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:56 pm

I've always had good experiences on Peruvian. They are better than the US based airlines. But I still prefer LAN. The planes are more modern and everything feels a notch above Peruvian. For example, Peruvian doesn't have video monitors on all the seatbacks. I don't fly to watch TV or movies, or for the meals/snacks, so if Peruvian is cheaper by more than twenty or thirty bucks I'll take them. Never flew Star, but based on argidd's post I think I won't even bother searching their fares the next time I need to fly.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:42 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Peruvian doesn't have video monitors on all the seatbacks.

Do you really want that on a 1 hour domestic flight?

argidd wrote:I flew on Star once, and it smelled like one thousand llamas slept on the plane before we got on it.

I think that it was the smell of a group of backpackers that travelled on the inbound flight. :lol:
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:55 pm

chi chi wrote:

Like I said, I'm not on the plane to watch movies, but it does help pass the time, and if the fare is cheaper it's a nice bonus. My usual flight time is about an hour and a half.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:02 am

ironchefchris wrote:
chi chi wrote:

Like I said, I'm not on the plane to watch movies, but it does help pass the time, and if the fare is cheaper it's a nice bonus. My usual flight time is about an hour and a half.

When I fly with TACA between Tarapoto and Lima, the business class section is always full but all those people seated there have an international connection in Lima.
I don't think anyone would just fly business class on a domestic flight.

I flew a few times business on a domestic flight but had an international connection in Lima.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:11 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:LAN is an airline. It cannot fine you. It does offer deep discount fares to residents of Peru ostensibly to promote domestic tourism in Peru. More likely they are just competing with the bus-camas. When you buy a Base (X) fare it warns you it is for residents only and if they catch you not being a resident they can impose a multa (really an additional fee).[/quote

I don't think they make a lot of money by charging that $178 non resident fee.

“I think they will make more money if they abolish that stupid fee. Peruvian Airlines, Starperu and Peruvian Airlines are the only ones that benefit from that fee because gringos just fly with them and avoid LAN like the pest.”

With respect, chi chi, nope. If they could make more money getting rid of the “multa”, they would. LAN has a fiduciary responsibility to make money for its investors. It does so. It is one airline that does so year after year. They have people in the Revenue Management department who are very good with numbers accessing reams of data on who from where buys what tickets, to where, from where, how many times the fee is paid etc. Their complex analysis is several light years above your too simplistic reasoning (and reasoning without a shred of data). There is a explanation why the fee makes them a ton of money, but not by collecting it. I could explain it to you if you wish?

Again, for the second time, Peruvian too charges foreigners more for some routes. It is very similar reason to why LAN does it. (Hint: to make money.)
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:12 pm

Now lets be fair. One bad experience is scarcely enough to condemn Star for all time. Just to say I have had several Star Peru flights and did not notice this problem. Nor does it make sense that they would allow this problem to persist.

I like there is airline competition in Peru. LAN, Peruvian, StarPeru and even LC all have things going for (and against) them. For example, LAN is well equipped to deal with IRROPS but is inflexible and has relatively poor on the ground customer service while Peruvian IMHO is very flexible and has great ground service etc.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:14 pm

chi chi wrote:

argidd wrote:I flew on Star once, and it smelled like one thousand llamas slept on the plane before we got on it.

I think that it was the smell of a group of backpackers that travelled on the inbound flight. :lol:

“I think that it was the smell of a group of backpackers that travelled on the inbound flight.”

Ha ha. Ever so humourous chi chi. Isn't it hilariously grand that you can make jokes using broad negative stereotypes of groups of people. Wouldn't it be funnier if we replaced “backpackers” with, says, “Jews” or “blacks”.

Lets see how it sounds: “I think that it was the smell of a group of black Jews that travelled on the inbound flight.” Oh, yeah, even funnier.

Or sweaty Peruvians: “I think that it was the smell of a group of sweaty Peruvians that travelled on the inbound flight.”

I find many of your comments quite inappropriate.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:34 pm

teamoperu wrote:
I find many of your comments quite inappropriate.
Well, I have the same problem with yours...so what ? :lol:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:00 am

teamoperu wrote:Ha ha. Ever so humourous chi chi. Isn't it hilariously grand that you can make jokes using broad negative stereotypes of groups of people. Wouldn't it be funnier if we replaced “backpackers” with, says, “Jews” or “blacks”.

What's wrong with cracking a joke? Thanks to those stereotypes, we can have a good laugh so now and then. I like stereotypes.
In the área I am staying at right now, there's a lot of ''bling-bling'' people.

I am sure that even the clean shaven, showered and well behaved backpackers can laugh with it. I am sure they are bothered as well if they have to sit next to one of their scruffy, smelly counterparts on a 12 hour flight.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:30 am

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:Ha ha. Ever so humourous chi chi. Isn't it hilariously grand that you can make jokes using broad negative stereotypes of groups of people. Wouldn't it be funnier if we replaced “backpackers” with, says, “Jews” or “blacks”.

What's wrong with cracking a joke? Thanks to those stereotypes, we can have a good laugh so now and then. I like stereotypes.
In the área I am staying at right now, there's a lot of ''bling-bling'' people.

I am sure that even the clean shaven, showered and well behaved backpackers can laugh with it. I am sure they are bothered as well if they have to sit next to one of their scruffy, smelly counterparts on a 12 hour flight.

Yeah, they are real funny... until you are the butt of the joke.

Chi chi said: “We had a look in the Sheraton when we were there. (Iguazu). It looks like a retirement home. It was full of old age Americans that arrived by a tour bus. Many of them were hanging around in the lobby and bar with their rollator and a bottle of oxygen dangling around their neck. And there isn't too much craic going on at night unless you love to hear those old guys their Vietnam stories over and over again in the bar.” haha So very funny. I am sure the vets who risked their lives find your humour a barrel of fun.

“Some examples of stereotypes of Belgium are:
Belgian people are stupid
Walloon people are lazy- Flemish people work hard
Belgians are born with a brick in their belly
Belgium is the land of child-kidnappers (cfr. Dutroux)
Belgians build garden sheds and decorate them with fake ornaments
Belgians evade taxes and do all things in black”

You don't get it. Maybe because you were sitting beside those Belgium perverts and child-kidnappers who frequent sex tourism hot spots in Thailand, for example.
Solo Angel

Postby Solo Angel » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:49 am

Most of what Chi Chi says has been said and laughed at before. Vietnam Vets and old folks and oxygen bottles, etc. All pretty common and can get a laugh. Can even be found in Google searches.
Where in the world did you come up with your quips. Stayed up late last night? Nothing wrong with them just really out of left field.
Like Chi chi said, Thanks to those stereotypes, we can have a good laugh so now and then." I'll bet he is laughing the hardest at yours.
Somehow I bet the Vietnam vets have pretty thick skin and can take whatever stereo typing.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:35 am

teamoperu wrote:Belgians evade taxes and do all things in black”

You can learn a lot of interesting things from us. 8) :D :D

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register