Worried about re-entry

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
bandit1200

Worried about re-entry

Postby bandit1200 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:08 pm

I was living in Lima for 5 years doing a constant border hop every 6 months, now I have been out of the country for 2 months and have a flight back to Lima on the 12 Nov. Having read a few posts about a tougher stance on tourist visa "abuse" am I likely to have a problem getting back in and any advice how to deal with it? It's very close to my flight and I wasn't worried before , but now I am.

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Worried about re-entry

Postby chi chi » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:41 pm

Things are still as usual.

Tell them something like you are going to set up a business and need time to do the tramites or tell them that your gf is Peruvian and you are getting married,...

Good luck.
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:44 pm

bandit1200 wrote:I was living in Lima for 5 years doing a constant border hop every 6 months, now I have been out of the country for 2 months and have a flight back to Lima on the 12 Nov. Having read a few posts about a tougher stance on tourist visa "abuse" am I likely to have a problem getting back in and any advice how to deal with it? It's very close to my flight and I wasn't worried before , but now I am.

Hi Bandit -

I recently wrote a post here - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26725&p=138016&hilit=+danjaker#p138016 - about my border run having overstayed - It may make you feel a little better about your situation.
But do not worry, you will not be refused entry - I have friends in immigration here, it just really does not happen. -

Like I did, say your getting married with your Peruvian girlfriend, I am not saying they will give you 6 months, they actually should not. But they might make an exception for 120 - sooner or later you will have to do something to be more secure and settled down if you are getting sick of the border runs, and in time you will have to do them more often.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:19 pm

chi chi wrote:Things are still as usual.

Tell them something like you are going to set up a business and need time to do the tramites or tell them that your gf is Peruvian and you are getting married,...

Good luck.

Lying to Immigration is a bad idea, anywhere, anytime.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:08 pm

How is leaving the country and re-entering "abuse?" Your exit and entry stamps are right there in your passport for any official to see. If they let you back in the country after looking at your stamps then Immigration obviously doesn't have a problem with you - where's the abuse? It is up to the Immigration official how much time they allow you to stay in Peru. Your being allowed into the country and your length of stay is 100% in their control so how can anyone but Immigration abuse it? IMO the people making border hopping out to be "abuse" are over dramatizing something that Immigration itself doesn't seem to care too much about. If they did, frequent border hoppers like chi chi would have been denied reentry long ago. You might not get 183 days (you already know that) but I don't see why they wouldn't let you back in to Peru. As long as they allow you to enter - no abuse.
bandit1200

Postby bandit1200 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:34 pm

Ok thanks for the replies, feel a wee bit more relaxed now.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:24 am

I know someone who had done 1 border hop, in due time, left the country and came back and they did not want to let them in. They mentioned something about family and finally being able to start paperwork for residence and were given 3 months, but if they did not comply with the admittance days, and left the country in due time (or did the paperwork they claimed they needed to do), they would not be let into the country again.

I don't know if the immigration officer was trying to seem like a tough guy, or pressuring so they would offer to pay him off. But that is what I know, I don't mention it to alarm you, but to warn you it's not all daisies and butterflies like previous posters mention.
Last edited by argidd on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Argidd
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:28 am

ironchefchris wrote:How is leaving the country and re-entering "abuse?" Your exit and entry stamps are right there in your passport for any official to see. If they let you back in the country after looking at your stamps then Immigration obviously doesn't have a problem with you - where's the abuse? It is up to the Immigration official how much time they allow you to stay in Peru. Your being allowed into the country and your length of stay is 100% in their control so how can anyone but Immigration abuse it? IMO the people making border hopping out to be "abuse" are over dramatizing something that Immigration itself doesn't seem to care too much about. If they did, frequent border hoppers like chi chi would have been denied reentry long ago. You might not get 183 days (you already know that) but I don't see why they wouldn't let you back in to Peru. As long as they allow you to enter - no abuse.

I think it's a gray area, Chris. It's abuse because you are not entering the country to be an eternal tourist, you are entering the country to live illegally. On the other hand, yes immigration control is still poor and they are not very good at *controlling*. In the end, the abuse is living illegally, regardless of border hoping or overstaying; IMO.
Regards,

Argidd
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:46 am

The Peruvian immigration form offers 6 options. You have to check one.
Main Purpose of Travel: holidays, visiting, business, health, work, and other.
Not sure what “other” offers, but it is an option.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:54 am

teamoperu wrote:The Peruvian immigration form offers 6 options. You have to check one.
Main Purpose of Travel: holidays, visiting, business, health, work, and other.
Not sure what “other” offers, but it is an option.

Other probably stands for things like getting married, claiming asylum, etc.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:57 pm

I've thought about telling them I saw a nice ad* by PromPeru inviting me to Peru and decided to take them up on the invitation. I came because I was invited. :D

*“Don’t watch the movie. Live it for real! There is a Peru for everyone and we invite you to find out.”
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:04 pm

argidd wrote:
ironchefchris wrote:How is leaving the country and re-entering "abuse?" Your exit and entry stamps are right there in your passport for any official to see. If they let you back in the country after looking at your stamps then Immigration obviously doesn't have a problem with you - where's the abuse? It is up to the Immigration official how much time they allow you to stay in Peru. Your being allowed into the country and your length of stay is 100% in their control so how can anyone but Immigration abuse it? IMO the people making border hopping out to be "abuse" are over dramatizing something that Immigration itself doesn't seem to care too much about. If they did, frequent border hoppers like chi chi would have been denied reentry long ago. You might not get 183 days (you already know that) but I don't see why they wouldn't let you back in to Peru. As long as they allow you to enter - no abuse.

I think it's a gray area, Chris. It's abuse because you are not entering the country to be an eternal tourist, you are entering the country to live illegally. On the other hand, yes immigration control is still poor and they are not very good at *controlling*. In the end, the abuse is living illegally, regardless of border hoping or overstaying; IMO.

The legality of the situation is more easily defined then the vaguer concept of abuse. I would think if you have a government issued entry stamp in your passport and a government issued visa in hand then you are legal. It makes sense to take the steps necessary to acquire residency if one intends to live in Peru on a more permanent basis, but if someone like chi chi chooses to live here through border hopping and the Peruvian government continues to grant him visas I don't see how he's breaking any laws. Even if someone were to say he is abusing the system by legally leaving and reentering the country, at least he's supporting his local economy, so any abuse isn't just one sided. I didn't mean to imply the whole process is a cake walk. It seems there're many stories of immigration authorities not acting in a consistent manner when it comes to interpreting and enforcing Peruvian immigration laws/policies, but that's Peru for ya.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:29 pm

ironchefchris wrote:The legality of the situation is more easily defined then the vaguer concept of abuse. I would think if you have a government issued entry stamp in your passport and a government issued visa in hand then you are legal. It makes sense to take the steps necessary to acquire residency if one intends to live in Peru on a more permanent basis, but if someone like chi chi chooses to live here through border hopping and the Peruvian government continues to grant him visas I don't see how he's breaking any laws. Even if someone were to say he is abusing the system by legally leaving and reentering the country, at least he's supporting his local economy, so any abuse isn't just one sided. I didn't mean to imply the whole process is a cake walk. It seems there're many stories of immigration authorities not acting in a consistent manner when it comes to interpreting and enforcing Peruvian immigration laws/policies, but that's Peru for ya.

Overstaying in Peru doesn't give you benefits.

It's more lucrative to overstay in Europe or the US. After some time you get amnesty, get social housing and wellfare benefits and the more children you get, the richer you get.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:51 pm

ironchefchris wrote: It seems there're many stories of immigration authorities not acting in a consistent manner when it comes to interpreting and enforcing Peruvian immigration laws/policies, but that's Peru for ya.

Over the years this topic constantly comes up with people wanting to be reassured they'll be able to come and go as they please. The immigration officers are not required to act in a consistent manner. It is really at their discretion how many days you might get. If you don't want to worry about it, get residency. They even have a resident/citizen only line now which makes it quite fast coming in.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:53 pm

sbaustin wrote:Over the years this topic constantly comes up with people wanting to be reassured they'll be able to come and go as they please. The immigration officers are not required to act in a consistent manner. It is really at their discretion how many days you might get. If you don't want to worry about it, get residency. They even have a resident/citizen only line now which makes it quite fast coming in.

But not everybody wants to get married to anyone just to get a CE.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:56 pm

chi chi wrote:
But not everybody wants to get married to anyone just to get a CE.

I didn't say anything about marriage.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:42 pm

sbaustin wrote:
ironchefchris wrote: It seems there're many stories of immigration authorities not acting in a consistent manner when it comes to interpreting and enforcing Peruvian immigration laws/policies, but that's Peru for ya.

Over the years this topic constantly comes up with people wanting to be reassured they'll be able to come and go as they please. The immigration officers are not required to act in a consistent manner. It is really at their discretion how many days you might get. If you don't want to worry about it, get residency. They even have a resident/citizen only line now which makes it quite fast coming in.

Good post and "The immigration officers are not required to act in a consistent manner." I'd say it is frequently the opposite. Immigration and customs and especially security are trained to act inconsistently for good reason, think about it.
bandit1200

Postby bandit1200 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:23 pm

I've thought about it but can't think why they would be trained to be inconsistant.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:28 pm

Perhaps to keep on their toes those applying for visas and/or border hopping to extend their stay.
bandit1200

Postby bandit1200 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:52 pm

So they may actually just say "No, you can't come in"?
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:07 pm

bandit1200 wrote:I've thought about it but can't think why they would be trained to be inconsistant.

They are not there to hassle legitimate folks. They do have responsibility to catch cheats, crooks, illegals, criminals etc. Those undesirables love consistency in order to plan and be prepared. Inconsistency helps thwarts those plans.

On the theme, they are trained to look for clues. They make all sorts of assessments before even speaking to you. You demeanour, clothes, your passport country, which flight you came in on, the reason you give, etc etc. We don't see this much for us because we generally give off no bad signals. But watch sometime and you will see others getting quite a grilling if they do.

And if you want 180 and think lying is the way to get it, say, for marriage paperwork or something, they know how long that takes and will give you that, 3 months.

Also that is the reason for random questions at security, so you can't prepare for everything as well as judge you reaction. And sometimes that nice chat or extra question they have has more objectives than you know. There is a lot more going on than we see.

The less you say the better, but always give a trueful answer. Surely you are aware that most people give off clues when they lie.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:10 pm

bandit1200 wrote:So they may actually just say "No, you can't come in"?

They can send you to secondary where you will be investigated more thoroughly and if justifiable, yes, they can say no. And they can keep you there until they are convinced one way or the other. I know someone who had a passport problem and was refused entry.

As usual, listen to chi chi's advice at your peril.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:09 am

teamoperu wrote:

They can send you to secondary where you will be investigated more thoroughly and if justifiable, yes, they can say no. And they can keep you there until they are convinced one way or the other. I know someone who had a passport problem and was refused entry.

bandit1200, just like everyone else, you should ignore teamoperu his doom scenarios. He just wants to pull your leg. He wants you to feel nervous and worried and spoil your otherwise nice trip because that is what he enjoyes.

I passed migraciones more than 20 times in the last 5 years and just said ''183 por favor'' or said nothing at all and got 183 days. And if you get less days then you can just overstay and pay $1 for every day your overstayed when you finally leave.
I once overstayed 611 days, paid the fine and came back 5 days later and got another 183 without a question being asked by the immigration officer. Last year, I did the same after overstaying 83 days.

Just relax, enjoy your flight and you want have any problems at migraciones.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:28 am

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:

bandit1200, just like everyone else, you should ignore teamoperu his doom scenarios. He just wants to pull your leg. He wants you to feel nervous and worried and spoil your otherwise nice trip because that is what he enjoyes.

I passed migraciones more than 20 times in the last 5 years and just said ''183 por favor'' or said nothing at all and got 183 days. And if you get less days then you can just overstay and pay $1 for every day your overstayed when you finally leave.
I once overstayed 611 days, paid the fine and came back 5 days later and got another 183 without a question being asked by the immigration officer. Last year, I did the same after overstaying 83 days.

Just relax, enjoy your flight and you want have any problems at migraciones.

As usual, listen to chi chi's advice and exaggerations at your peril... unless you think you are as good a liar as he is... as per his posts, he is a professional at it, are you?

"I passed migraciones more than 20 times in the last 5 years and just said ''183 por favor'' or said nothing at all and got 183 days." This story seems to be variable. The numbers keep changing and his story line too. In other posts he talks about the lies he has made up. Also "said nothing" and gets 183 is unbelievable. You have to answer their questions so you have to say something. Ever passed immigration and they didn't ask why you are coming to Perú or similar? Of course not, they ask that to help decide what number to write. And if you just ask for 183 please, they will generally ask you why.

However, if I gave the impression that I was trying to discourage you, I apologize. I think I said that for us there is generally no problem because we don't give off warning signals. However, if you lie and appear anxious, fidget, have lack of eye contact, looking downward, pupil dilation, rapid breath, change in voice pitch, a trained official can pick up on that.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:41 am

teamoperu wrote:
chi chi wrote:Also "said nothing" and gets 183 is unbelievable. You have to answer their questions so you have to say something. Ever passed immigration and they didn't ask why you are coming to Perú or similar? Of course not, they ask that to help decide what number to write. And if you just ask for 183 please, they will generally ask you why.

They don't ask why you are coming to Peru because you allready ticked that box on the form you fill out that you get on the aircraft. Only once an immigration officer asked me why I wanted 183 days. I told her that I was visiting my gf.
Apart from that they won't ask other questions.

teamoperu, if you have ever been to Peru then you should know that on that form you tick the box why you are coming to Peru. Business, pleasure,...

A large number of tourists don't speak Spanish so what are they going to ask them?
bandit1200

Postby bandit1200 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:10 am

OK I didn't ask the question to start a bickering session... just to keep it simple... if anyone with several or many consecutive tourist visa stamps has passed through the airport recently I would be grateful for an account of their experiences.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:53 am

bandit1200 wrote:OK I didn't ask the question to start a bickering session... just to keep it simple... if anyone with several or many consecutive tourist visa stamps has passed through the airport recently I would be grateful for an account of their experiences.

I have a lot more than "several"! I have "many" just this year. There is likely few on this board who have passed through the LIM airport recently as much as I. But that is why my experiences are probably not typical.

Feel free to believe chi chi at your peril, not my business. Seems such a pity.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:32 am

teamoperu wrote:I have a lot more than "several"! I have "many" just this year. There is likely few on this board who have passed through the LIM airport recently as much as I. But that is why my experiences are probably not typical.

But you don't know that you fill out the purpose of travel to Peru on the immigration form and that's why the immigration officer doesn't ask why your are coming to Peru.

bandit1200 wrote:OK I didn't ask the question to start a bickering session... just to keep it simple... if anyone with several or many consecutive tourist visa stamps has passed through the airport recently I would be grateful for an account of their experiences.

I passed through Jorge Chavez airport 5 times this year and always got 183 days. I have been borderhopping and living in Peru for the last 6 years.
Just like everyone else here, ignore teamoperu his talk and you will be fine.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:08 am

teamoperu wrote:I think I said that for us there is generally no problem because we don't give off warning signals. However, if you lie and appear anxious, fidget, have lack of eye contact, looking downward, pupil dilation, rapid breath, change in voice pitch, a trained official can pick up on that.

People get tired after a long flight and have to walk a long way to get to immigration whilst pulling their handluggage. The sweat, have a rapid breath are tired thus look downward, pupil dilation, change in voice pitch and are anxious and want to get out of the airport and get to the hotel.

Nothing suspicous at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-sFo0M0p9Y
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:51 am

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:I think I said that for us there is generally no problem because we don't give off warning signals. However, if you lie and appear anxious, fidget, have lack of eye contact, looking downward, pupil dilation, rapid breath, change in voice pitch, a trained official can pick up on that.

People get tired after a long flight and have to walk a long way to get to immigration whilst pulling their handluggage. The sweat, have a rapid breath are tired thus look downward, pupil dilation, change in voice pitch and are anxious and want to get out of the airport and get to the hotel.

Nothing suspicous at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-sFo0M0p9Y

Feel free to believe chi chi at your peril, not my business. How sad that we get this kind if small silliness when trying to answer a legitimate question.
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:20 pm

Wow, these people with nothing better to do than sit on expatperu all day long and completely turn around the point of the conversation are ridiculous. OP, dont worry, you have to do what you gotta do, just ask for as much time as you can get, thats all.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:53 pm

danjaker wrote:Wow, these people with nothing better to do than sit on expatperu all day long and completely turn around the point of the conversation are ridiculous. OP, dont worry, you have to do what you gotta do, just ask for as much time as you can get, thats all.

Think yourself lucky, for some people this is their life. :lol:
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:55 pm

panman wrote:
danjaker wrote:Wow, these people with nothing better to do than sit on expatperu all day long and completely turn around the point of the conversation are ridiculous. OP, dont worry, you have to do what you gotta do, just ask for as much time as you can get, thats all.

Think yourself lucky, for some people this is their life. :lol:

:D Including you? Just joking (sort of). I actually find most of your posts good and often quite humourous.
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:49 pm

Well having been through the struggles of dropping everything and coming here on a whim, and being stable and ok at this point, I enjoy helping others doing the same, not criticizing or smashing their hopes or aspirations... like some here lol -
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:51 pm

danjaker wrote:Well having been through the struggles of dropping everything and coming here on a whim, and being stable and ok at this point, I enjoy helping others doing the same, not criticizing or smashing their hopes or aspirations... like some here lol -

Please explain.
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:09 pm

I think you should start a new thread if were going so far off topic again - Explain what? - And no, I wasnt talking about you -
bandit1200

Postby bandit1200 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:27 pm

The consensus seems to be that I shouldn't have a problem coming back in, just a question of how many days they'll give me.
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:58 pm

Yes, just ask for 183, if your really worried, say you need to because your getting married. No problem.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:50 pm

danjaker wrote:Yes, just ask for 183, if your really worried, say you need to because your getting married. No problem.

Yep.

Buenos días Señor/Señora, 183 días por favor.

Don't say more than that.

Only if they ask you why you want 183 días then you say that you are visiting your ''señora''.

(teamoperu in 3, 2, 1,...)
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:01 am

3, 2, 1...

Finally chi chi you agree with exactly what I said, well done.
exexpat

Postby exexpat » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:50 pm

Update
When I arrived at the airport last night I saw that all of the migraciones desks were manned and busy, I also noticed that 4 or 5 were "manned" by girls... I watched for a few minutes and saw that one of them had a smile for everyone and appeared to be really friendly so I joined her line, got to her and said that I´d like to stay until the end of April, she had a quick look at my Passport smiled at me and told me I´d need the máximum 183 days and stamped my Passport.
Couldn´t have been easier...
bandit1200

Postby bandit1200 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:56 pm

exexpat wrote:Update
When I arrived at the airport last night I saw that all of the migraciones desks were manned and busy, I also noticed that 4 or 5 were "manned" by girls... I watched for a few minutes and saw that one of them had a smile for everyone and appeared to be really friendly so I joined her line, got to her and said that I´d like to stay until the end of April, she had a quick look at my Passport smiled at me and told me I´d need the máximum 183 days and stamped my Passport.

Exactly the same thing happened to me.. a kind of pretty young girl, told her I was getting married in January she asked how many days I needed I told her as much as possible and she smiled and gave me 183.... thankyou nice girl.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:28 pm

bandit1200 wrote:

Exactly the same thing happened to me.. a kind of pretty young girl, told her I was getting married in January she asked how many days I needed I told her as much as possible and she smiled and gave me 183.... thankyou nice girl.

I always end up in the line at the desk with the fat, grumpy, ugly guy. :(
But at last, he gives me 183 days. :)
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:54 pm

Fantastic news. I am so glad you managed to get back to Scotland to help your 82 year old Mother. I know you said she only had a few months left to live back in August and hope she was comfortable during her last few hours and she did not suffer to much. Please accept my condolences.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register