Authority of district security?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Authority of district security?

Postby gringolandia » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:53 pm

I've been wondering something for a while: What is the actual authority of the district security guards with the blue lights? Do they carry guns? Can they arrest suspicious people / burglars / drunk drivers? Or are they limited to just calling the police? I saw a couple of them in a truck rapidly chasing after a car but I had no idea what they could do if they actually caught them. For some reason my Peruvian wife doesn't even know the answer to this question.

fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Authority of district security?

Postby fanning » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:38 pm

You are talking about Serenazgo. They seem to be more guards than actually police, but at least in Miraflores many have combined Serenazgo/police cars driving around. So there is both a Serenazgo and a actual police in the car.
Serenazgo can for example call quickly for municipal fiscalization. So if somebody has a big party at 2 in the night, the police won't come, but Serenazgo will put a municipal fine to the party.

Once there was a very drunk guy in front of the hotel making a lot of noise. Serenazgo came to send him away, but because he was soo drunk, he wouldn't go. We told them to take him to the police so at least the neighbourhood would be rid of the noise, but they couldn't as they said in case something happened in the Serenazgo car, there would be problems with their insurance/responsibility. I think in the end they made him walk to a park to sleep of his booze, but basically because in that case they would not be responsible for him if something would happen to him ..
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:43 pm

They are strictly security. they cannot hold you.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:31 pm

danjaker wrote:They are strictly security. they cannot hold you.

Members of the Serenazgo can make the equivalent of a citizens arrest. http://www.saberescompartidos.pe/derech ... adano.html

I think the Serenazgo offer a great service, at least in Miraflores. In case of trouble, they arrive in minutes! They are very well organized and integrated with mobile phones. At least some carry video cameras to record trouble makers, and they use all sorts of different vehicles to get around: cars, bikes, motobikes, pickups, and those silly little two-wheeled carts you stand on. There is even a wheelchair force that supervises some of the parks. (kudos to the alcalde on that one). You can even download an App to make it easier to contact them.
rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgbjr » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:49 pm

Hi
Would please to supply the name to the App. I would like to download it.
Thank you
Bobby :D
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:59 pm

rgbjr wrote:Hi
Would please to supply the name to the App. I would like to download it.
Thank you

In my Ipad the app is called 'Miraflores' and the author is Municipalidad de Miraflores
rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgbjr » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:08 pm

Thank you

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register