mobile hotspot

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
johnconti

mobile hotspot

Postby johnconti » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:26 am

Will any of the mobile hotspot devices or apps work in PERU? And is there 4G in Lima yet? Thanx in advance.

gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: mobile hotspot

Postby gringolandia » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:47 am

Both Claro and Movistar have 4G LTE.

Claro cheaped out a bit and is splitting their existing 3G spectrum into part 3G and part LTE. Movistar won the auction to purchase entirely new spectrum for their LTE service, so is keeping their 3G spectrum as is and using the new spectrum only for LTE.

Theoretically that means Movistar will have better LTE service, but who knows for sure. I haven't done any speed testing because I'm still happy with my non-LTE Samsung Galaxy 3.

I have personally noticed a big shift in capability over the past two years. Claro previously kicked Movistar's butt as far as the overall reception in the areas I travel (mostly around Lima and to the south of Lima), but Movistar is now much better for me overall. I think they must have done a major build out in Lima over the past few years. I'm actually very likely to switch from Claro to Movistar as soon as I can get around to it.
johnconti

Postby johnconti » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:06 pm

Thanx. I guess I need to clarify the first question. I want to create a hotspot. There are apps and devices that will do this. I don't know if they will work in Lima. My guess is that they will. Does anyone know for sure before I purchase one? Thanx again I am talking about a MOBILE HOTSPOT.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:35 pm

As long as the device supports a gsm sim card on the networks here it should work. You can check on wikipedia for the network bands: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_country_code to match up with your device.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:03 pm

Ah, I think you are asking if Claro or Movistar will charge you an extra fee to allow using your phone as a hotspot, the way most providers in the US do?

I don't think there is an extra charge (there wasn't the last time I did that a year or so ago), but that's a good question. I'm going to ask that exact question before I switch over to Movistar postpago just to make sure, so I'll let you know what I discover.

As an aside: There are ways to bypass such restrictions even in the US. Most notably: root your phone, (optionally) connect to a VPN, and then use a wifi hotspot app other than the one that is built into default firmware. Completely undetectable by the telecom if you use a VPN. But requires some technical know-how, of course.

As a second aside: if you use the free international internet / text message roaming that T-Mobile offers (via Movistar in Peru), that does NOT allow wifi hotspot (unless you bypass the restriction as I noted above... but why would you even bother since they throttle it to a slow 100kbps).
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:46 pm

I have a Galaxy S4 mini which you can use as a hotspot. And Claro won't charge me extra for activating this tethering function. It will offcourse consume my gigabytes, for which I pay S/. 45 for 2 GB a month. Apart I have this Claro modem, which you can connect to your laptop, it comes for free with my Claro trio at home, and is only 500 MB a month, but as said, it is free. I think you can connect that device to some TP-link convertor, which creates a hotspot ( so you won't need a laptop USB to use the Internet )
The biggest drawback I have seen with these hotspots is that for example my Ipad or phone will update its apps automatically when connected to Wifi, and because for the Ipad the hotspot is just Wifi, it will consume very fast your GB.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:42 pm

fanning wrote:I have a Galaxy S4 mini which you can use as a hotspot. And Claro won't charge me extra for activating this tethering function. It will offcourse consume my gigabytes, for which I pay S/. 45 for 2 GB a month.

There are many cafes. restaurants and coffeeshops where you can get free WIFI.

You can also share the internet connection with a neighboor who has unlimited access.
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:10 am

I regurarly travel by bus and one of "my basic travel needs" is my laptop. A lot of bus companies claim that they have wifi on their bus, but of course an internet connection using that wifi is limited to the areas were there is internet coverage.
However it often happens that my mobile Phone has internet, while there is no internet on my laptop through the bus companies' wifi.

So I thought to make my Samsung Galaxy S4 a mobile hotspot.
However that appeared not to be possible, because my phones' software settings (a second hand AT&T version) do not accept "the mobile hotspot settings".
I found out that, to change this, you have to change the root settings of the phone by downloading and running some kind of script.

So I tried a simplier work around by installing an app called PdaNet on my phone as well as on my laptop.
Using an USB (=cable) connection between phone and laptop you are supposed to use the (in my case: Claro) internet of your mobile phone on your laptop.
And, Yessss, it works!
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:23 am

JanD wrote:I regurarly travel by bus and one of "my basic travel needs" is my laptop. A lot of bus companies claim that they have wifi on their bus, but of course an internet connection using that wifi is limited to the areas were there is internet coverage.
However it often happens that my mobile Phone has internet, while there is no internet on my laptop through the bus companies' wifi.

So I thought to make my Samsung Galaxy S4 a mobile hotspot.
However that appeared not to be possible, because my phones' software settings (a second hand AT&T version) do not accept "the mobile hotspot settings".
I found out that, to change this, you have to change the root settings of the phone by downloading and running some kind of script.

So I tried a simplier work around by installing an app called PdaNet on my phone as well as on my laptop.
Using an USB (=cable) connection between phone and laptop you are supposed to use the (in my case: Claro) internet of your mobile phone on your laptop.
And, Yessss, it works!

Jan do you have an idea of data rate cost for this.

A
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:05 am

Hi Adrian,
As I use the internet of my mobile phone with a Claro postpay plan, those are the fees I pay I suppose.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:39 pm

We are thinking about changing to one of the new providers, but cannot seem to get a definitive answer regarding data rate capping or charge rates. As an example. If you use a plug in from Claro you have a max and after that your band width drops. When you purchase the plan you have a max and then a horrible shock if you exceed this. I know using a cellular to connect the pc can eat the allowance very quickly.
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:07 pm

OK Adrian,
tks for the warning!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register