Internet quality around Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
wowiloveperucuisine

Internet quality around Peru

Postby wowiloveperucuisine » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:49 am

Hello all. I would like to know more about the internet quality in various cities in Peru. Please feel free to share info you may have about areas not covered here.

These are my observations so far about the internet in the places I've been:

1. Lima - Excellent internet. Fast and stable with many options to choose from. I've heard Lima has the best internet in South America, and from what I've seen I'm inclined to agree.

2. Arequipa - Pretty darn good. Multiple options work fine, Claro 3g was stable if a bit slow, home internet provided by Star Global was generally pretty fast and only cut out very occasionally, usually for no longer than about ten minutes. Olo router works in some but not all areas.

3. Iquitos - 3g was pretty much useless except for very light browsing. No Olo service. Was stuck using shared wifi most of the time. It was slow, cut out semi frequently. I was told that if one had a dedicated line it was fast and stable, but not sure how much I believe that. Every few days the internet cut out for me completely for about half a hour at the longest, but it was a regular occurrence.

Any info on cities like Cuzco, Tarapoto, Trujillo, and others? What options work for you, how fast are they, and do they cut out often and for how long?

KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Internet quality around Peru

Postby KenBE » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:35 pm

wowiloveperucuisine wrote:Hello all. I would like to know more about the internet quality in various cities in Peru. Please feel free to share info you may have about areas not covered here.

1. Lima - Excellent internet. Fast and stable with many options to choose from. I've heard Lima has the best internet in South America, and from what I've seen I'm inclined to agree.

2. Arequipa - Pretty darn good. Multiple options work fine, Claro 3g was stable if a bit slow, home internet provided by Star Global was generally pretty fast and only cut out very occasionally, usually for no longer than about ten minutes. Olo router works in some but not all areas.

3. Iquitos - 3g was pretty much useless except for very light browsing. No Olo service. Was stuck using shared wifi most of the time. It was slow, cut out semi frequently. I was told that if one had a dedicated line it was fast and stable, but not sure how much I believe that. Every few days the internet cut out for me completely for about half a hour at the longest, but it was a regular occurrence.

Any info on cities like Cuzco, Tarapoto, Trujillo, and others? What options work for you, how fast are they, and do they cut out often and for how long?

Trujillo is pretty good. Don't remember the exact speeds I had, but it was good enough to work online, watch Netflix, etc.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:31 pm

wowiloveperucuisine wrote:Any info on cities like Cuzco, Tarapoto, Trujillo, and others? What options work for you, how fast are they, and do they cut out often and for how long?

I have Claro Móvil in Tarapoto. It works very well. I listen to nashvillefm.nl and watch gangsta rap video clips on YouTube and it works very well. Only after a heavy rain the internet doesn't work for a few hours.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:18 am

wowiloveperucuisine wrote: I've heard Lima has the best internet in South America, and from what I've seen I'm inclined to agree.
Thats a joke right?? Connection outside the tourism bubble of Miraflores and San Isidro is horrific !! :(
InsidePeru

Postby InsidePeru » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:59 pm

We have lived in Los Organos, Piura; and now in Huanchaco, Trujillo Peru. I feel the question isn't really specific enough. There are different ways to connect and different companies. We used Claro in Los Organos a few years ago with one of those stick things you put into a USB port. It worked pretty good and that was a very small town.

Here in Huanchaco, our internet is bundled with our landline phone. Movistar provided the modem etc. It's as fast was we need. In fact, we changed to a cheaper plan that was supposed to be slower, but don't see any difference. We have worked over the internet for years and also watch streaming video with no problems. There has never been any down time that I can recall in the past 15 months.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:16 pm

Guiri wrote:Connection outside the tourism bubble of Miraflores and San Isidro is horrific !! :(

I never had any problems in Magdalena and San Miguel.
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:27 am

Huancayo: With Telefonica land-line, it is pretty good. Sometimes in bad weather Huancayo seems to lose its link over the mountains or get massive packet loss, but that happens rarely enough not to be a problem. I suffered some severe throttling from Telefonica on a Europe VPN connection, which I worked around by throttling the connection myself to not reach the bandwidth level that triggered their throttling. That way transfers are slower but still work. Not "net neutrality"-compliant but still workable.
amigorick

Postby amigorick » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:29 am

In iquitos it's ok the the early morning but gets slow after 9-10 am thru the evening. We have Movistar.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:47 am

In Piura it is OK too. Often slow downs around 4-8. Some cut outs, but brief. Claro
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:14 pm

wowiloveperucuisine wrote:Hello all. I would like to know more about the internet quality in various cities in Peru. Please feel free to share info you may have about areas not covered here.

In Lima, how tall your building is and what floor you live on can make a difference to internet speed, as can how far you away you are from the telephone exchange. Also Claro are introducing fibre optic cable not just in Lima, but in other parts of Peru. Might be worth looking into.

http://www.larepublica.pe/01-04-2014/cl ... n-pucallpa

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register