No internet in Miraflores!

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Mr. More

No internet in Miraflores!

Postby Mr. More » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:53 pm

Hey fellow expats, looking for some friendly advice. I jut moved from Chorrillos, were we had a Movistar trio plan, to Miraflores, about 2 blocks from the Parque Kennedy. We programmed the migration of service before we moved, and were told it would be done in 3-5 business days. It has now been 2 weeks, and still no connection.

My wife called today, and we come to find out that Movistar cant connect anything, internet, phone, or cable, because the post where the cnnections come from is limited to 10 connections, and there are 28 apartments in my building. Tried calling Claro, but they apparently also dont have coverage. I could expect this out in Provincia, but did not expect this in Miraflores, 2 blocks away from the Parque Kennedy.

Does anyone know of any other options aside from Claro or Movistar? I am aware that I can get OLO for internet, and Direct TV , but I am not sure how dependable OLO internet is for the usage we would give it, streaming videos, Skype calls, etc. Also, that would still leave us without a landline phone.. Please, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: No internet in Miraflores!

Postby danjaker » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:05 pm

Stick with claro and movistar, I have used Olo - Its very slow.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:39 pm

When we moved we had a similar problem. It doesn't make too much sense to 'migrate' your connection. You are last on their list to resolve problems, as you are already a customer.
Just cancel your line, and get a new one. In that case you will be helped immediate because for the system you are a new client !
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:25 pm

fanning wrote:When we moved we had a similar problem. It doesn't make too much sense to 'migrate' your connection. You are last on their list to resolve problems, as you are already a customer.
Just cancel your line, and get a new one. In that case you will be helped immediate because for the system you are a new client !

Right, migration doesn't seem to work with Movistar. We had to cancel our old line and order a new one. They did it quick but the number was different, that was a major inconvenience.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:00 pm

Yes, as the others say, it's definitely better to close the old line and open a new one, unless you have to wait out a contract. I tried to do this once and they said it would take four weeks to migrate my service. However, if I opened a new line, they said it would be ready within a few working days. A change in phone number wasn't a big problem, as most people call mobile phones nowadays. Most calls to the land lines are usually cold calls - often from movistar themselves to sell you a more expensive internet/tv package.

The advantage of opening a new line is that they treat you as a new customer and you're generally treated better than an existing customer, top of the queue, etc... And financially, there are also usually special offers for internet/tv packages for the first few months. Cancel your old account and open a new one. It's quicker and cheaper.

One tip, don't suspend your old line with the hope of restarting it one day. It's complicated and time-consuming closing it down in the future or restarting it. Their internal processes don't seem to work very well for existing customers.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:20 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:
A change in phone number wasn't a big problem, as most people call mobile phones nowadays. Most calls to the land lines are usually cold calls - often from movistar themselves to sell you a more expensive internet/tv package.

That's true for a home landline, maybe. For businesses it might create certain problems though. It's not only Movistar who might be calling you at your work/business phone number. Besides, having all your business cards, receipt books, etc. changed can be a pain too.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:43 pm

mammamia wrote:
Sergio Bernales wrote:
A change in phone number wasn't a big problem, as most people call mobile phones nowadays. Most calls to the land lines are usually cold calls - often from movistar themselves to sell you a more expensive internet/tv package.

That's true for a home landline, maybe. For businesses it might create certain problems though. It's not only Movistar who might be calling you at your work/business phone number. Besides, having all your business cards, receipt books, etc. changed can be a pain too.

That's a good point, but I got the impression the OP was only a home user.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register