Considering moving to Lima...

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
asha

Considering moving to Lima...

Postby asha » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:49 pm

Hello!
My husband and I are considering moving to Lima next year. Although I have tried to do some research on some of our questions, I thought that asking people who actually live in Lima currently would be very useful. We both speak Spanish and have previous experience working in Latin America, but have never been to Peru. Some of our questions are:

1) What is the approximate cost of living for a couple? we wont have a car, but would like to live in a safe section of town and do some modest traveling.
2) What are some sections of the city that are very safe to live in. I have had the experience of living in a location where it felt scary to walk to the store by myself, and it is not an experience that I am keen to repeat.
3) How easy is it to get around without a car? I have read that taxis are not a good option because of safety issues. How is the bus system?
4) Do you like living in Lima?

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to our questions! I really appreciate it!

danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Considering moving to Lima...

Postby danjaker » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:39 pm

Hi, Welcome..

Well, I am sure you will receive a lot of responses on here...

Cost of living varies, it does, no one can give you a number. I have had apartments that cost $1500 per month, and now I live in one that cost $100 per month, all in safe and upscale neighborhoods... It just comes with time and experience, thats all.

I do not believe there is a safe and non safe neighborhood within Lima, you are just as likely to get robbed in Miraflores (considered to be the safest) as you are in Salvador, some may not agree, but its the truth, again, time and experience and how you conduct yourself.. I myself have lived in numerous districts here, miraflores, lince, surco, the center, comes, luragancho and more, and I haven never had an issue, a tourist may be here one day and get robbed, you never know.

I have never had a problem with a taxi, I would never buy a car here, take taxis and buses. Again, time and experience, and how you conduct your self... if you worry about safety all the time, you wont be here long, so dont worry..

I like it :)
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:42 pm

asha wrote:Hello!
My husband and I are considering moving to Lima next year. Although I have tried to do some research on some of our questions, I thought that asking people who actually live in Lima currently would be very useful. We both speak Spanish and have previous experience working in Latin America, but have never been to Peru. Some of our questions are:

1) What is the approximate cost of living for a couple? we wont have a car, but would like to live in a safe section of town and do some modest traveling.
2) What are some sections of the city that are very safe to live in. I have had the experience of living in a location where it felt scary to walk to the store by myself, and it is not an experience that I am keen to repeat.
3) How easy is it to get around without a car? I have read that taxis are not a good option because of safety issues. How is the bus system?

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to our questions! I really appreciate it!

Hello,

Depending on an area, I would say $2500-3000.00 could be enough for a modest living in, let us say, San Borja (some areas), San Luis, Pueblo Libre, La Molina (some areas). The cost of living in Miraflores, Surco and some parts of La Molina will be much higher, I suppose, mostly due to rent prices. Taking into account your intention not to have a car the level of your expenses could rise significantly since taxis would be the best option (when in Lima I never use its messy public transportation, only taxis which is more expensive, of course, but far less stressful).
I lived in Lima in 2006 through 2009. Thank God not any longer. To me, most of the city is a total mess: chaotic and unsafe. Only a few areas look civilized (Miraflores, Surco, La Molina), the rest of the city in my opinion is unfit for decent living . That's my personal opinion, I know, many on this forum will disagree with me but, anyway, if you stayed in other big cities in Latin America I'm sure you'll be alright.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:13 pm

Asha You are asking a very difficult question. I have visited Lima for the best part of twenty years. We as a married couple, owning our own home and with grown up children plus grand children and have lived in Lima for nearly eight years.

I think Lima is quite diversified and it is important to know what you expect. Do you have children? Are you looking for schools? Are you a stay at home or do you like night life. Where if any will your partner expect to be working and will you be working.

A little travel could be anything from a flight to many parts of the country or a short trip in a car to a restaurant.
Let us have the information and I am sure we can come up with some good ideas to help you in the future.
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:59 pm

Yes,
As Adrian said, its varied. At one time I was living on a budget of about $1500 per month, for the last year and a half or so, I have been living on a budget of about $200 per month... hahaha, so, it really varies.
JJG1133
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby JJG1133 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:52 pm

Been here for about 4 months and love it. My opinion is living here you definitely don't need a car, but of course that depends on everyone's personal situation I guess. I have also never had a problem with the taxis or buses. The bus system for me was very confusing at first, but now with time I know which ones to take to wherever I need to go in the city. They are very cheap, but at times also very crowded depending on what time of day, etc. Overall in most cases I'm comfortable taking the bus. About being dangerous, as someone stated above that has a lot to do with the way you carry yourself and of course you should always be alert like anywhere else you are in the world. I would consider Lima more the most part as any other big city in the U.S. There are of course good and bad parts. You're about as likely to get robbed in south Dallas as you are some parts in Lima. Myself, I have never felt uncomfortable in any situation here. Speaking Spanish will definitely help you here. My overall opinion... Great place to live.
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:17 pm

When comparing countries, remember the United States has the most crime out of any country in the world, they hold 5% of the worlds population but have 25% of the worlds prisoners, the US is one of only 3 or 4 countries I believe that has a death penalty, the US is the only country on earth that locks away children for life, and the US has more laws than any country in the world...

Makes you think, just about every where else is more free, and safer...... jaja
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:51 am

Best Bet, start pricing rents on sites like Adondevivir.com or http://urbania.pe/alquiler-de-departamento-en-peru Select your price range. As far a food, it is really inexpensive. Housing will be the majority of your cost. We lived there 7 years and are going to return Sept 2016. We love the place (Wife is Peruvian). As far as transportation, a secure taxi is your best bet, but you will have to barter with them, because they will offer the gringo price. Personally, I would not own a car in Lima, especially a nice car. too much petty theft, busting car windows while you are at a stop light or just plain breaking into your parked car, even car theft if it is an attractive commodity to sell part. We found cabs to be the best bet.

Personally we cannot wait to get back, left in 2010.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:56 am

panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:07 am

tupacperu wrote:B We lived there 7 years and are going to return Sept 2016. We love the place ...............

Personally we cannot wait to get back, left in 2010.

Be prepared for one hell of a shock. Prices, in general, have rocketed since you were last here. Unfortunately wages haven't, hence the imminent problems you, I, and many others are predicting.
barry james

Postby barry james » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:37 pm

Hi Guys,

It would be worth your while to get in contact with Tim Brace. He owns and operates a relocation company called Live in Lima. I have used his services and found him to be very helpful.

Barry James.
chitim

Postby chitim » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:33 am

Hello Asha and thanks for the intro Barry

Making the decision to move here is obviously a very big one and getting all the information and opinions possible to help you make that decision is very smart.

My name is Tim Brace of Live in Lima Relocations. I moved to Lima from Chicago a number of years ago and I absolutely love it here, with all of it's differences and difficulties. I would have however, benefited tremendously having had done more homework beforehand, particularly as relates to the cost of things. Check out http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living to get a idea of prices both in real terms and relative to where you currently live.

I can also answer your questions directly via email / phone and indirectly via our regular newsletters. Check us out at http://www.liveinlima.com and on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/liveinlima

Hope to hear from you.

Regards,

Tim

Tim Brace

General Manager
Of: (511) 206 4235
Cel: (51) 998 996 500
Link Tower / Av. Manuel Olguín 335, Of. 1205 - Surco
Lima- Perú
Last edited by chitim on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
illume398

Postby illume398 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:06 pm

I lived in Lima for almost 3 years. I can only conclude that those souls who are bad in life die and go to Lima. But small town life in Peru can be great.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:09 pm

danjaker wrote:Yes,
As Adrian said, its varied. At one time I was living on a budget of about $1500 per month, for the last year and a half or so, I have been living on a budget of about $200 per month... hahaha, so, it really varies.

How do you live off $200 in Lima nowadays?

Please write a breakdown off your outgoings. I would be very helpfull for people who have to live off a small Budget.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:39 pm

Cost of living depends on your lifestyle. If you want eat out a few days a week and go out in bars and clubs then you need a bigger budget.

Your main single outgoing will be rent.
San Isidro and Miraflores are the most upmarket districts and they are reasonable safe but rents are very expensive.
A nice área is the área around Avenida La Marina in San Miguel. Rents are (still) reasonable. Avenida boasts a lot of shops and a very nice shopping centre (Plaza San Miguel).
Magdalena del Mar is a bit more expensive but a very nice and quiet districts. (the municipalidad doesn't allow nightclubs and bars on it's territory)

Like another poster said, there aren't real safe and unsafe neighboorhoods in Lima. People get robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight in San Isidro (the most expensive and nicest looking neighboorhood) and there are gringos that have been living in Callao, El Agustino, La Victoria and San Juan de Miraflores and never had any problems.
The best things is just to carry on you what you need and things you can afford to lose. Leave that shiny bling bling Rolex and Louis Viutton handbag at home. Don't stick a bulky wallet in your backpocket.
However violent crime is rare and gringos aren't specifically targetted, petty crime like pickpocketing and handbag snatching is rife.
Guard your stuff if your seated on the bus, a restaurant or a bar. And watch your stuff if someone is coming over to talk to you. A common trick is that one persons distract you and another one steals your stuff.

Your can save a lot on your living costs if you shop the mercados and buy groceries in bulk at wholesalers like Makro.

I wouldn't buy a car if I were you. Gas is expensive and car crime is rife. If you have a nice car then having a garage is a must but even old bangers get nicked. Every day, people get mugged at traffic lights or whilst standing still in traffic.

The bus system looks chaotic at first but it's actually very well organised. Many buses look like they just came from a junkyard but it's improving. The best thing of the Lima bus system is that buses are frequent. You no longer have to wait than a minute or two for a bus. There are no timetables as buses are so frequent.
Busfares are very democratic. You can go from one part of Lima to the other end of Lima for less than a dollar. Short rides are $0.20

There are a lot of saucy stories off taxis in Lima but it's not that bad. I regulary took a taxi in Lima and never had any problems. Just negotiate the fare before you get in because taxis in Lima don't have taxi meters.
Taxis fares aren't that expensive compared to taxi fares in Europe but you will save a lot of $$$ if you take the bus.
I only use a taxi if I have to take a heavy or bulky ítem from a shop to my home or late at night after the last bus left.

Whether I liked living in Lima? No.
But I like to go to Lima for shopping trips and to visit my gf her family.
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:00 pm

chi chi wrote:
danjaker wrote:Yes,

How do you live off $200 in Lima nowadays?

Please write a breakdown off your outgoings. I would be very helpfull for people who have to live off a small Budget.

My rent is slightly less than $100 per month, everything included, I typically spend about 10 soles per day for food. Sometimes I eat free though. And thats it - I dont have other expenses - Those are necessities, now, when I go out for fun and whatnot, sure, I spend a little more, but necessities come out to about $200 per month.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:46 pm

danjaker wrote:My rent is slightly less than $100 per month, everything included, I typically spend about 10 soles per day for food. Sometimes I eat free though. And thats it - I dont have other expenses - Those are necessities, now, when I go out for fun and whatnot, sure, I spend a little more, but necessities come out to about $200 per month.

Congratulations bro. I am sure that you are poor and happy.
Wellfare payments go far in Peru.
It's disgusting that some people living off wellfare in Europe have a hard time to live a comfortable lifestyle.
Job or no job. Everybody is ENTITLED to a comfortable lifestyle. They are entitled to it.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:00 pm

illume398 wrote:
But small town life in Peru can be great.

Could not agree more! Have been living in a small city for the last 5 years myself. And now being able to compare: Lima sucks!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:05 pm

mammamia wrote:
illume398 wrote:

Could not agree more! Have been living in a small city for the last 5 years myself. And now being able to compare: Lima sucks!

Indeed. Life in the villages are more relaxed. A place where everybody knows everybody is great.
Last edited by chi chi on Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:16 pm

chi chi wrote:[
Lima is a hole. Full of drug addicts, thieves and whatever other criminals.
It's one of the ugliest, dirtiest and one of the most dangerous cities in the world.

Lima is the biggest slum in the world. It's the biggest ''hood''.

You could not be further from the truth and you know it. This is absolute rubbish and I suggest for the benefit of the OP you check your facts in future and refrain from throwing stones at every opportunity.
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:03 pm

chi chi wrote:
danjaker wrote:My rent is slightly less than $100 per month, everything included, I typically spend about 10 soles per day for food. Sometimes I eat free though. And thats it - I dont have other expenses - Those are necessities, now, when I go out for fun and whatnot, sure, I spend a little more, but necessities come out to about $200 per month.

Congratulations bro. I am sure that you are poor and happy.
Wellfare payments go far in Peru.
It's disgusting that some people living off wellfare in Europe have a hard time to live a comfortable lifestyle.
Job or no job. Everybody is ENTITLED to a comfortable lifestyle. They are entitled to it.

Chi Chi, for your information, it is what I choose to live off from. I like saving money, but I never said what I spent on fun. I have lived all over the world, I have my own business, I am a published author and receive royalties. I dont have to work, I am comfortable. But at this time I prefer to be close to the people I love.

I have my fun, believe me, I spend 95% percent of my time away from where I live out and about so, at this point in time I dont have to spend a lot on "material items".
And no, I dont receive welfare. Im not the only who is sick of your posts on here, it is consistent with a typical teenage troll with nothing better to do or nothing productive to do with his life.
I truly feel sorry for you.

I honestly though do not need to boast about myself any further, I do not care what you know about me, because I know I am happy, and those I love, thats all that matters.

You sure do have a big mouth on you kid, one day you will grow up.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:26 pm

mammamia wrote:
illume398 wrote:

For sure, Tarapoto sucks big time. Iquitos sucks. Arequipa sucks. Oh, and Belgium sucks. As does England. USA sucks too. I am sure I missed a lot of others.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:40 pm

chi chi wrote:
danjaker wrote: Everybody is ENTITLED to a comfortable lifestyle. They are entitled to it.

Chi Chi..I usually like your comments but with that one you are completely wrong, sorry! :roll:
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:40 pm

teamoperu wrote:
mammamia wrote:
illume398 wrote:

For sure, Tarapoto sucks big time. Iquitos sucks. Arequipa sucks. Oh, and Belgium sucks. As does England. USA sucks too. I am sure I missed a lot of others.

I've never said that. But if you started putting those words into my mouth, well, I've never been to Tarapoto, Iquitos, Belgium and the UK but happened to visit Arequipa and the US on various ocasions. Arequipa is a beautiful city, I'm even thinking of moving there some day. The USA is a nice country too, lived and worked there for almost 9 years. Americans, not all, of course, but most of them are friendly and generous people.
And, anyway, what is so fascinating about living in Lima? Yes, more job opportunities but doesn't look like the OP will need that. What else???
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:14 pm

Despite what people say, there are some very very safe parts in Lima where you won't have to worry about serious crime. You are going to have to pay however to be able to live there. Where i live i have no fear of crime what so ever. There might be the odd case of pick pocketing, but that's all.

Lima is a hard place to love at times, there are good parts tho, and i have to agree most of is it a bit of a $¤¤¤ hole. No proper public transport is the biggest problem if you don't live in Mirsflores. Sorry combis are death traps, i refuse to use them for long distances.

If you want to go out and socialise, there's plenty of cultural events, restaurants and cafes in Miraflores and San Isidro, plus Barranco. Living in Miraflores means you can just walk to most of the places you want to go, or take a cheap taxi at night.

If you plan to stay in and want the quiet life, or have kids, places like San Borja, parts of Surco and La Molina can be great. Schools close by and lots of nice parks to enjoy summer. It can be a bit of a trek getting to Miraflores, taxi times can be well over a hour plus at night, making it feel very isolated. This will be changing tho as places like El Polo and Golf del las Incas are developing quickly.

It depends what you want in life, i'm a countryside person, or a small city if living in a urban area, i understand the hatred for living in a place like Lima and there's not much good countryside near Lima either. But i appreciate Lima's cosmopolitan side, and there is some really beautiful parts of the city that i never tire of walking.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:03 am

SilverbackPeru wrote:Despite what people say, there are some very very safe parts in Lima where you won't have to worry about serious crime.

Serious crime happens everywhere. There aren't very very safe áreas in Lima.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:29 am

chi chi wrote: “Lima is a hole. Full of drug addicts, thieves and whatever other criminals. It's one of the ugliest, dirtiest and one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Lima is the biggest slum in the world. It's the biggest ''hood''.”

Do not know about the poster, but in my opinion this post contains ludicrous and moronic statements better classified as hate posing than providing useful information.
illume398

Postby illume398 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:49 am

Lima's a lot like Sao Paolo and Rio in that everything is low quality at a high price (except the food). Most I met in Lima were there for work or a girl, ie you won't see a travel poster for beauitful Lima. 90% of gringos in Lima are probably there for it's main attraction - the airport.

Lima has no shortage of thieves and drug addicts, but the USA definately has way more, USA is land of the drug addict. In Lima you may have to deal with an occasional hungry thief, but I'd rather deal with that than some nazi cop trying to put you in a prison labor camp over a traffic ticket.

In Lima, the best you can do is get a place with an electric fence, good locks/gates, get a well paid, well fed security guard, and hope for the best. It could be worse, but in comparison w/other options, aside from Brazilian and Venezuelan cities Lima is probably the worst, and the worst part is the high prices.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:59 am

I have never lived in Lima, but I have been there about 20 times or so and I like the city. I could see myself living there. I would probably live in an area like San Miguel, not as expensive as Miraflores, but still nice (middle class by Peruvian standards). Although I like Miraflores too and wouldn't mind living there as well, but it is a bit expensive.

Is there a lot of crime in Lima? Of course there is, but the same can be said for pretty much all cities in Peru. It is something you have to deal with if you want to live there.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:40 am

KenBE wrote:I have never lived in Lima, but I have been there about 20 times or so and I like the city. I could see myself living there.

If you live in St. Niklaas then I understand you rather live in Lima. :lol:
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:49 am

chi chi wrote:
KenBE wrote:I have never lived in Lima, but I have been there about 20 times or so and I like the city. I could see myself living there.

If you live in St. Niklaas then I understand you rather live in Lima. :lol:

Well I like it here too but I will admit it is a little boring compared to Lima :D jijiji
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:31 pm

For transport, buses are cheap, but they get very crowded, especially combis. The Metropolitano is fast and secure and there's lots of security and cameras at most of the stations, although it also gets crowded.

I've never had a problem with street taxis. However, if this is an issues, you use an app like EasyTaxi that contacts secure competitively-priced taxis, which arrive in minutes. All your transactions with the taxista are recorded electronically.

http://www.easytaxi.com/pe/

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register