Bus from Lima to Arequipa

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
chante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bus from Lima to Arequipa

Postby chante » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:51 pm

We have visitors coming who would like to take the bus from Lima to Arequipa, with a stopover at a beach town along the way, is this possible. If so, what would be a good stop over place and can it be done with a company and the "bed" buses, they are not interested in a bus that makes several stops.

Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bus from Lima to Arequipa

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:32 pm

The best beaches are all within driving distance of Lima. If your friends are thinking of splitting their journey halfway, they aren't going to find anything in the way of proper beach towns/resorts. The last major resort I can think of heading south is at Paracas, which I don't think covers even a third of the journey to Arequipa.

There are a few places like Puerto de Lomas and Marcona that have beaches, but they're a bit off the beaten track and I don't know how difficult it is to reach them if you're travelling south with a major bus company.

Perhaps someone knows the road better than me or can recommend some hidden gems, but if your friends are after beaches, I think it would probably be a better idea to take a plane to Arequipa and, once there, go to a beach resort like Mejia, or Punta de Bombon.

http://www.todoarequipa.com/fotos/islay/punta-bombon/

http://www.maplandia.com/peru/arequipa/ ... as/hotels/
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bus from Lima to Arequipa

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:30 pm

I'll second Sergio's recommendation for going to one of the beaches on the Arequipa coast if a beach closer to Lima isn't a desirable option. IMO they're not the greatest beaches, but I grew up on the beach and have lived on some really nice ones so I'm a bit of a snob. The two main ones are Mollendo a Mejia; the former being a larger, crowded, more festive beach scene, while Mejia is smaller, more laid back, with only a couple of hotels, mostly house rentals, nicer IMO, but it depends what you're looking for. High season is January and February. It slows down in March and is pretty much done by mid-March.

Sergio also made a good point about flying to Arequipa. Often times it's not much more expensive and sometimes a bit cheaper to fly (1hr 20 mins) instead of take a bus (16 hrs.).

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register