5,000 illegal dentists

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Followthesun

5,000 illegal dentists

Postby Followthesun » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:54 am

A friend told me about a report on the tv a month or so ago.
The investigative report stated there were some 5,000 illegal dentists in Lima.
How can you be sure the dentist is legal and no complaints have been filed against him/her?

Thanks

Followthesun

Re: 5,000 illegal dentists

Postby Followthesun » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:57 am

I have had several people who sent me PMs twhat were very disturbing

1. A licensed dentist that did a lot of work and never any x-rays, went back to US and was informed all of the teeth that were extracted could have been saved by some means. This US dentist had previous x-rays.
2. A licensed dentist who refused to provide a Libro de Reclamos - Complaint book.

Be careful
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:45 pm

[quote="Followthesun"]I have had several people who sent me PMs twhat were very disturbing

1. A licensed dentist that did a lot of work and never any x-rays, went back to US and was informed all of the teeth that were extracted could have been saved by some means. This US dentist had previous x-rays.
2. A licensed dentist who refused to provide a Libro de Reclamos - Complaint book.

Be careful[/quote

About 18 years ago, in Lima, I had a dentist tell me that I had 16 cavities, and he laid out a plan for curing them all. I hadn´t been to the dentist for about a decade, so although the number seemed pretty high, I though it was just possible. On my wife´s insistence, I went to her family dentist who told me (proved to me) that I had ONE cavity. He has treated my family ever since. Don´t know where the other fellow ended up. In a dark, gloomy place, hopefully.
Followthesun

Postby Followthesun » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:13 am

This is very scary, a supposed professional giving false medical info - just to generate business/income.
The dentist I encountered had all sorts of awards/degrees on the wall, he was also a crook.
The Peruvian government needs to have criminal penalties for these - criminals.

Thanks
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:50 pm

Followthesun wrote:The dentist I encountered had all sorts of awards/degrees on the wall, he was also a crook.

A man with a briefcase can steal more than a man with a gun any day.
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:58 pm

So.... get fixed the same much cheaper... always great.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register