Recent Borderhop(ish) Experience to Ecuador

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
DanielGent
Silver Member
Silver Member

Recent Borderhop(ish) Experience to Ecuador

Postby DanielGent » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:32 am

Hi all,

Thought I would just briefly write up my experience as this forum has been so useful to me!

Not really a border hop as I left Peru 20th November to cross to Ecuador, and then only return 1st of Feb (using all my remaining days for 2014 in Ecuador), but on returning without any questions the Peruvian customs gave me 120 days!

So it appears (as Peru lacks any clear law on this) that if you leave some gaps between returning, and ideally return a following year, there's no questions about your length of time in Peru.

I thought I'd stay in Ecuador for a while as I was worried that returning directly to Peru they would refuse me entry as I was here for about 7 months in 2015 in total.

Also make sure you check Bus schedules when in Peru as CIFA have really good terminals in Peru, but downright terrible ones in Ecuador!

jwhmilne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Recent Borderhop(ish) Experience to Ecuador

Postby jwhmilne » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:16 am

Thanks for this.
It's the first time I've read an actual border hop experience first hand from somebody.

Cheers!
Joe Milne
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:12 am

DanielGent wrote:
So it appears (as Peru lacks any clear law on this) that if you leave some gaps between returning, and ideally return a following year, there's no questions about your length of time in Peru.

Are you stating this is Peruvian policy or just your personal anecdote?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:15 pm

sbaustin wrote:
DanielGent wrote:

I think it's his personal anecdote.

For 6 years, I have been borderhopping and only left Peru for a máximum of 1 week. Sometimes I left the country 6 times in a calendar year and I got 183 days stamp all the time. Twice I overstayed. (611 days overstay and 87 days overstay) and I got a 183 days stamp as well when I returned without any hassle at all.

I don't think that Peru will refuse people entry into the country unless they commited a serious crime in the past. Peru needs money and TOURISTS = MONEY.
jwhmilne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jwhmilne » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:43 pm

When border hopping, I should probably stay a night in Ecuador right?
Joe Milne
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:52 pm

jwhmilne wrote:When border hopping, I should probably stay a night in Ecuador right?

Why not? If after spending so much time and money on the road it would be nice to relax and have a look around in Ecuador. It's a nice country and food is very good.

Two years ago, I went for a few days to Guayaquil. A very nice city and all tourist attractions are within walking distance. Good quality hostels and hotels are cheap and the taxi ride from the airport to downtown only costs $4.

A menú costs $2 and much better food and bigger portions than in Peru where you only get a heap of potatoes, rice and a piece of ''what the hell is this''? A good beer: $0.75
ardilla
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ardilla » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:42 pm

I am responding to the following comment made by the original poster:
"Also make sure you check Bus schedules when in Peru as CIFA have really good terminals in Peru,
but downright terrible ones in Ecuador!"

Response: did you by chance take the CIFA bus from the main Terminal Terrestre in Guayaquil (near the international airport) or did you take it somewhere else? I ask because we took the CIFA bus from the Terminal Terrestre and the terminal where the CIFA office is located was spotless and easy to navigate and well organized. Admittedly the hours for CIFA's office are not extensive so that's something to consider).
DanielGent
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby DanielGent » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:37 pm

Oh wow a few things to reply to there. I didn't mean to start a thread I just thought I would put back into the forum to help people out like me.

1. Is my saying about Peruvian immigration law anecdotal? no not even that, it's based on researching this forum!
Basically the head office in Lima said "oh you can stay as long as you want just pay a dollar a day" where as at the border they said "oh really they said that in Lima, and what else did they say in Lima?" (like they don't know)

Where as in Ecuador they have 90 day a year limit where they put you into their computer on a database so you have 90 days. No opinions of officials or the like.

2. CIFA
I have taken it from the Guayaquil terminal but that's the Guayaquil terminal. I'm referring more to their terminal in Huaquillas. this is THE PLACE TO GO FOR A BORDER HOP! as it's 5 minutes from the border. a few hotels nearby (can recommend one) and then you get back on the bus and return to Peru with a day in between.
But they have no timetable, and the information women is one of the most rude people I've ever seen.

Yet in Mancora where I am now their terminal is fully decked out with timetables. Huge. So they have this information.

So basically, check all the info in Peru before leaving! (assuming you nightbus to Tumbes where CIFA have a great terminal, then get CIFA to the border)
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:16 pm

chi chi wrote:
jwhmilne wrote:When border hopping, I should probably stay a night in Ecuador right?

Why not? If after spending so much time and money on the road it would be nice to relax and have a look around in Ecuador. It's a nice country and food is very good.

Two years ago, I went for a few days to Guayaquil. A very nice city and all tourist attractions are within walking distance. Good quality hostels and hotels are cheap and the taxi ride from the airport to downtown only costs $4.

A menú costs $2 and much better food and bigger portions than in Peru where you only get a heap of potatoes, rice and a piece of ''what the hell is this''? A good beer: $0.75

The numbers in this post are incorrect.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:23 pm

chi chi wrote:
sbaustin wrote:
DanielGent wrote:

I think it's his personal anecdote.

For 6 years, I have been borderhopping and only left Peru for a máximum of 1 week. Sometimes I left the country 6 times in a calendar year and I got 183 days stamp all the time. Twice I overstayed. (611 days overstay and 87 days overstay) and I got a 183 days stamp as well when I returned without any hassle at all.

I don't think that Peru will refuse people entry into the country unless they commited a serious crime in the past. Peru needs money and TOURISTS = MONEY.

Caveat emptor, this poster has never done a land border hop.
Caveat emptor, some of the statements are untrue.
jwhmilne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jwhmilne » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:42 pm

chi chi wrote:

Awesome, thanks!
Any Ecuadorian dishes to recommend?
Joe Milne
DanielGent
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby DanielGent » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:46 pm

No the rest of Latin America is beans, over cooked rice, over cooked noodles, and all meats fried until they have the same taste.

When you leave Peru I would just eat to fill your stomach :D
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:06 am

Correct me if I'm wrong (seriously, please do :wink: ), but wasn't Ecuador, not Peru, recently named the world's leading culinary destination for the second year in a row?

That said (Congratulations to Ecuador, btw!), if all you're getting in a Peruvian restaurant is a heap of potatoes, rice and a piece of "what the hell is this," you're going to the wrong restaurants. Not my experience with eating at Peruvian restaurants at all. Obviously some only seem to go to crappy restaurants when in Peru, so maybe their opinion is entirely true for them. Being that you can find crappy restaurants in every country I don't know why one would choose to go to crappy restaurants in Peru (a country known for its food) but better restaurants in other countries.
Last edited by ironchefchris on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:19 am

DanielGent wrote:No the rest of Latin America is beans, over cooked rice, over cooked noodles, and all meats fried until they have the same taste.

When you leave Peru I would just eat to fill your stomach :D

I agree for the most part, but there are a few Latin American countries with excellent food. One thing I notice is how many restaurants from Latin American countries you find in other countries. For instance, in the US you'll find a lot of Mexican restaurants, Mexico being known for the variety and quality of its food, but not many Central American restaurants where Gallo Pinto (rice & beans) is served at all meals. You rarely if ever see Costa Rican, Nicaraguan, or Honduran restaurants in the US or other countries, probably because though they have their positives, they're not countries known for their food. Last trip to the US I did notice more Peruvian restaurants than the previous time I was there. Have yet to encounter Ecuadorian food outside of Ecuador.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:20 am

jwhmilne wrote:
chi chi wrote:

Awesome, thanks!
Any Ecuadorian dishes to recommend?

Nope, not awesome at all.The post is full of outdated and incorrect information. The topic is northern land border hop. Why would you take a bus all the way to Guayaquil when Machala would suffice? If you want to have an adventure in Ecuador then Guayaquil has very little, hardly enough for a day. See some lizards, climb Cerro Santa Anna, walk the Malecon then nothing. Why would you go there when you could go to Quito, Quito is fabulous.

What to eat? Tasty congrejos are good deal there... if you have US $
Howie456

Postby Howie456 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:40 am

albeit my borderhop expirience was a year and a half ago i would say spending a night or at least a few hours in Ecuador before coming over is worth it to save potential hassle or worse a wasted trip. I just wanted to get back to Peru asap and get it over with. Peruvian ustoms officialrefused to give me more than 30 days despite my persistant pleading. As you would imagine it wasn't enough time to get a carnet so off i went again a month later!

Not worth it in hindsight but i am also aware i was probably also very unlucky with the fella who had the all mighty stamp to decide my fate.

All the best!
DanielGent
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby DanielGent » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:32 pm

@ironchefchris - I just googled "world's leading culinary destination" and every result is Peru!
https://www.google.com/search?q=world%2 ... 8&oe=utf-8

I was in Ecuador with a Peruvian. They don't have good food in their culture, unlike Peruvians who are absolutely obsessed. One word - Ceviche!
DanielGent
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby DanielGent » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:35 pm

Oh Howie reminded me, I took the midday bus from Huaquillas. Was a huge line (though not a long wait by Latin American bureacracy standards at all), so possibly the guy gave me 120 days just as a hurry.

if you take the nightbus I'm sure the crossing will be empty and they'll have all the time in the world to think about your re-entry and question you!
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:29 am

DanielGent wrote:@ironchefchris - I just googled "world's leading culinary destination" and every result is Peru!

Happy to proven wrong! :wink:

DanielGent wrote:I was in Ecuador with a Peruvian. They don't have good food in their culture, unlike Peruvians who are absolutely obsessed. One word - Ceviche!

I've yet to hear anyone familiar with both countries cuisines suggest that Ecuador has better food than Peru, certainly not "much better," - oh wait, actually I have, a few posts up in this thread. Guess there's no accounting for bad taste.
DanielGent
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby DanielGent » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:32 pm

ha yeah, that was the first warning bells for me that such posts should be taken with a pinch of salt.....
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:41 pm

DanielGent wrote:@ironchefchris - I just googled "world's leading culinary destination" and every result is Peru!

I was in Ecuador with a Peruvian. They don't have good food in their culture, unlike Peruvians who are absolutely obsessed. One word - Ceviche!

Yeah I went to Ecuador with a Peruana too. She hated Ecuadorian ceviche :lol: I thought it was ok myself, though obviously not as good as the ceviche Peruano. The Ecuadorian version is VERY different more like a soup.

Ecuadorian ceviche:

:shock:
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:15 pm

DanielGent wrote:ha yeah, that was the first warning bells for me that such posts should be taken with a pinch of salt.....

Since expatperu doesn't yet have a sarcasm font (and being that I made a few posts in the thread on this award) I thought the winking emoticon and my request to be corrected if I was wrong was a clear signal my post suggesting Ecuador, and not Peru, won "World's Leading Culinary Destination" was to be taken with the proverbial pinch of proverbial salt. I was serious when I suggested that I know of no one who thinks Ecuador has (much) better food than Peru. I bet the person up thread who actually did suggest this would probably think there's no good sushi to be found should he visit Japan and that Tibet has better sushi. :lol:

The limones here in Peru should be considered a national treasure and I think have a lot to do with what makes the Ceviche so incredibly tasty compared to other countries.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register