Apostille stamp needed on a Peruvain marriage certificate?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
chelsearob77
Gold Member
Gold Member

Apostille stamp needed on a Peruvain marriage certificate?

Postby chelsearob77 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:36 am

Does anyone know if an apostille Hague convention stamp is needed on the back of a Peruvian marriage certificate to apply for a Schengen visa for Spain? (As it's in Spanish no official translation will be needed)

We will be moving to Ireland in a couple of months, my wife has already applied for her Irish visa (which she should be issued any day now) & as we will need to travel to Ireland via Madrid my wife will apply for a Schengen visa as soon as she gets her passport back.

We understand with my wife's Irish visa she shall be permitted to travel to Ireland via Madrid, but will not be allowed to passthrough immigration with me & our kids without a Schengen visa as Peruvian citizens still require a visa to enter the Schengen area!

Worse case scenario is I passthrough immigration alone & collect all our luggage & booking us onto our connecting flight to ireland while she stay airside with the kids & the support attendants take them to the terminal where our connecting flight is.

But we'd prefer that she has a Schengen visa to avoid any aggravation we may encounter at Madrid airport.

Also who is it here in Lima that actually issues the Schengen visa's? The Spanish embassy or the Spanish constitute as we are unsure which one we contact for an appointment?

There is a VFS Global visa facilitation centre here in Lima that handles Schengen visa applications, but they charge a fee for their services, while doing it direct with the Spanish embassy or constitutes won't cost us anything, as my wife will be issued the Schengen visa free of charge as the family member of an EU citizen under EU law!

JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Apostille stamp needed on a Peruvain marriage certificate?

Postby JanD » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:05 pm

As far as I know your wife and children in this case do not need a Schengen visa.
You travel to Ireland (non Schengen country), making a stopover/change of flight in Madrid.
They will have to remain in the "international area" of Barajas Airport and will not be allowed to pass customs to enter into Spain/Schengen area.
So, as you don't enter the Schengen area, you don't need a Schengen visa.
You can also check with the airline company you use to fly to Madrid/Ireland.
chelsearob77
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chelsearob77 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:46 pm

JanD wrote:As far as I know your wife and children in this case do not need a Schengen visa.
You travel to Ireland (non Schengen country), making a stopover/change of flight in Madrid.
They will have to remain in the "international area" of Barajas Airport and will not be allowed to pass customs to enter into Spain/Schengen area.
So, as you don't enter the Schengen area, you don't need a Schengen visa.
You can also check with the airline company you use to fly to Madrid/Ireland.

The thing is we are going to be booking our flights separately from Lima to Madrid, then Madrid to Dublin, as it is a lot cheeper to do that (as one booking from Lima to Dublin the total cost is almost €4000! While as separate bookings it costs less than €2500 in total!) so we would have to enter Spain's Schengen area to collect our suitcases & checkin & board our connecting flight to Dublin.

Without a Schengen visa my wife would not be permitted to passthrough immigration at Madrid to assist me in doing this! (Both my kids have British/EU passports so they don't require visas) she would have to stay in the international area & be taken to the terminal where our flight to Dublin is located.

So for that she will require a Schengen visa, just not sure if we need an updated copy of our Peruvian marriage certificate & an apostille stamp on the back of it? my wife seems to think the apostille won't be needed as it is in Spanish & won't require translating.
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:24 pm

OK, you undoubtedly have checked that you have to pass customs to enter the Schengen territory to do all this and yes in that case the Schengen visa is required for your wife and children.

However, the apostille has nothing to do with the language of the document, but is an authentification of the document and its signatures, replacing the extensive legalisation process.
So, yes, I think you need the apostille on your marriage certificate.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:39 pm

chelsearob77 wrote:

Without a Schengen visa my wife would not be permitted to passthrough immigration at Madrid to assist me in doing this! (Both my kids have British/EU passports so they don't require visas) she would have to stay in the international area & be taken to the terminal where our flight to Dublin is located.

So for that she will require a Schengen visa, just not sure if we need an updated copy of our Peruvian marriage certificate & an apostille stamp on the back of it? my wife seems to think the apostille won't be needed as it is in Spanish & won't require translating.

In that case your wife is going to need a transit visa and this is quite different from a Schengen Visa. She has an Irish visa, doesn't she? She has a proof of onward travel from Madrid, right? I believe, that's all she needs to have to be able to apply for a transit visa, or maybe, a couple of photos too.
chelsearob77
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chelsearob77 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:02 pm

JanD wrote:OK, you undoubtedly have checked that you have to pass customs to enter the Schengen territory to do all this and yes in that case the Schengen visa is required for your wife and children.

However, the apostille has nothing to do with the language of the document, but is an authentification of the document and its signatures, replacing the extensive legalisation process.
So, yes, I think you need the apostille on your marriage certificate.

Yes as I will be making two separate booking for the flights our checked-in luggage will not go through to our connecting flight to Dublin at Madrid airport, so we would have to passthrough immigration to collect them & check them in on our flight to Dublin.

Only my wife requires a Schengen visa, both our kids have like myself British passports so won't be subject to immigration control in Madrid.

Our marriage certificate that my wife recently submitted for her Irish visa has an apostille stamp on the back of it, but is dated from March 2113 (as I think Spain like Peru only accepts documents dated within a certain timespan, Ireland has no date restrictions that why we used that one) & it also has pages of the English translation we had done for the Irish embassy to understand & accept it attached to it, so not too sure if she could use that one?

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register