Wedding dresses

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
anuta

Wedding dresses

Postby anuta » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:26 pm

A question for those who got married in Lima:

what would be a price range for a good quality wedding dress ? I'm not looking for an exclusive designer dress, but just a nice looking one (according to North American standards).

Or is it possible to rent a wedding dress ?

Thanks!

David

Postby David » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:19 pm

Anuta,

I was hoping you'd have gotten some responses by now, I don't know your budget but you may be able to have someone make the dress for you. Not from a store front but someone that works on the side.

David
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:23 pm

I know that there's a place in Lima where all they do is make/sell wedding dresses. I've seen it on TV before, but I'm not sure where it's at or what it's called.

Maybe somebody else will be able to fill in that blank. :)
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:44 pm

My goodness! 30 years ago, Jiron de la Union was packed with Wedding Gown/Bridal stores (90% of the time, brides would rent a dress ).

You would pay for a 'estreno' (first time/brand new) dress more than if the dress had been worn before (but all were impeccable). I loved it as a young girl to go shopping in Jiron de La Union and look up, all the bridal stores were always on the second floor/story of a building, with their manequins dressed beautifully in wedding gowns.

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine tried to tempt me (as I travelled frequently to Lima) to bring Wedding Gowns and sell them in Lima, i.e. Dave's Bridal, but what I found for low prices in the USA was in my modest opinion horrible.

If anybody has a contact in the industry, here is a tip: there were people interested in paying for a brand new wedding dress delivered in Lima (if brought from the USA) around $1,000. They even advertised on the newspaper. I assume still there is a market for it.

I am sure there must be some stores left in Downton Lima ??? any help?

Maria
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
WikiSama
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby WikiSama » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:55 pm

The place you are looking for is "Palacio de las Novias" (Brides Palace). It's an entire block made into a bridal mall, in which you'll find pretty much EVERYTHING you need as a bride or for a wedding: dresses, gowns, cakes, corsages, bridal "spa", shoes, jewelry, photo and film services, invitations, flowers, lingerie for that special night, I even think there are travel agencies there, but I'm unsure. :P

Location: Corners of Lampa and Huallaga, in the Historic Centre of Lima.
Webpage: http://www.palaciodelasnovias.com/

Go in light clothing, as these days are getting sunnier. Also try not to carry any visible eye-catching jewelry and go with someone, even better if you go with your entire bridal entourage. They also organize runway shows, so brides can see lots of dresses. Good luck!
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:07 am

I knew there must be something left in Downtown Lima. That was the place to go to find bridal stuff years ago.

I've just peeked and it is a great website! Feel like getting married again...NOT!

Thanks Mr. Wiki, you delivered again.
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:19 pm

i didn't get married here, but i had a wedding dress made here. I think all told it cost me about 400 soles- went and picked out my fabric with the seamstress at gamarra and then she made it. She is from Chiclayo but was in lima frequently because her sister lived here. I was living in Moqueugua at the time. But we would meet in Lima for the various fittings. Anyway, I have pics if you're interested and the name and phone number of the woman who made the dress.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:26 pm

I want a religious wedding, but I'm not looking forward to all the planning.
mary
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby mary » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:37 pm

[quote="[email protected]"]i didn't get married here, but i had a wedding dress made here. I think all told it cost me about 400 soles- went and picked out my fabric with the seamstress at gamarra and then she made it. She is from Chiclayo but was in lima frequently because her sister lived here. I was living in Moqueugua at the time. But we would meet in Lima for the various fittings. Anyway, I have pics if you're interested and the name and phone number of the woman who made the dress.[/quote]

I'd love to see the pics, or any other info you have on getting a dress made.

Anuta - I had an idea just to get a very cheap and plain dress and have it embroidered a little with something meaningful. (or just pretty!) :) Maybe that's something else to consider as a way to get a special but inexpensive dress....
anuta

Postby anuta » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:59 pm

mary wrote:
Anuta - I had an idea just to get a very cheap and plain dress and have it embroidered a little with something meaningful. (or just pretty!) :) Maybe that's something else to consider as a way to get a special but inexpensive dress....

That's a great idea !

Ours will be a very simple wedding, so I don't want to spend a lot of money, just to have a cute dress.
marktaylor123

Re: Wedding dresses

Postby marktaylor123 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:14 am

Wow, This is very useful and informative discussion.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register