Haircut

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
clewis564
Gold Member
Gold Member

Haircut

Postby clewis564 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:09 am

As a black male I am wondering if there's anyone who knows of a good place on where I could get a haircut. I had photos on my phone to show them what I wanted where I went but it was still not a very good haircut. I stay in the miraflores/ barranco area. Should any good salon know how to cut black men's hair with even photos provided they can see on how I usuakky do it? I know there are black peruvians or part black so I didn't think it would be a big deal.

Thanks for any tips.

-- Chris

randomperson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Haircut

Postby randomperson » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:04 pm

If you want to be adventurous and get a decent haircut, I would suggest taking a cab to Callao, in the daytime, of course. The folks here are very experienced with the nuances of cutting/styling black hair but be sure to bring the image and haggle on the price. Several of the stylists are black themselves. The location is the area of the mercado.

Peluqueria Roxau
Avda. Saenz Pena #662
Callao
Tel. 4200740

I visited this area on a daily basis last year for everyday shopping, am female and never had any problems with safety.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:42 pm

I would give the same advice as randomperson.
In Callao, there are a lot hairdressers and loads of Afro people.

And it would cost you far less money than in Miraflores or Barranco.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:56 am

chi chi wrote:I would give the same advice as randomperson.
In Callao, there are a lot hairdressers and loads of Afro people.

And it would cost you far less money than in Miraflores or Barranco.

Costs less? Everything in life isn't about getting cheap. And I fail to see how using your money and time to get from Miraflores to Callao to save a few soles makes sense. More importantly I do not see in the OP him asking for a cheap haircut, rather a good haircut. He could get a cheap and good haircut in Piura though.

Just for educational purposes, from Wiki:

“Today, Afro-Peruvians (also known as Afrodescent Peruvians) reside mainly on the central and south coast, with the majority of the population in the provinces of Lima, Callao, Nazca, Chincha, Ica and Cañete. Many Afro-Peruvians live on the northern coast in Lambayeque and Piura. The greatest concentration of Afro-Peruvians and mestizos of Afrodescent is in the Callao, an area that has historically received many of the Afro-Peruvians from the north and southern coast.
In the Southern coast...
In Lima, the towns best known for having large concentrations of Afro-descended populations are Puente Piedra, Chorrillos, Rimac, and La Victoria.
Afro-Peruvians also reside in the northern regions of Peru such as La Libertad and Ancash, but the larger populations are concentrated in the northern valley plantations of the regions of Piura and Lambayeque.
The greatest Afro-Peruvian populations of the north coast are found mainly in the outskirts of the Morropón Province and concentrate themselves in Piura and Tumbes. The central province of Morropón is well known for its black communities in cities such as Chulucanas, Yapatera, Chapica del Carmelo, La Matanza, Pabur (Hacienda Pabur), Morropón, Salitral, Buenos Aires, San Juan de Bigote and Canchaque, and to the north Tambogrande. All of these cities belong to the Piura Region, where there are large rice fields and mango plantations.”
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:38 am

teamoperu wrote:Costs less? Everything in life isn't about getting cheap. And I fail to see how using your money and time to get from Miraflores to Callao to save a few soles makes sense. More importantly I do not see in the OP him asking for a cheap haircut, rather a good haircut. He could get a cheap and good haircut in Piura though.

Indeed, everything life isn't about getting cheap but you shouldn't let yourself getting ripped off either. Expensive doesn't always mean better quality either.

The OP went to hairdressers in Miraflores and the couldn't cut his hair like the wanted and hairdressers in Miraflores are far from cheap. But the hairdresser in Callao will for sure cut his hair for far less and do a good job.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:03 am

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:Costs less? Everything in life isn't about getting cheap. And I fail to see how using your money and time to get from Miraflores to Callao to save a few soles makes sense. More importantly I do not see in the OP him asking for a cheap haircut, rather a good haircut. He could get a cheap and good haircut in Piura though.

Indeed, everything life isn't about getting cheap but you shouldn't let yourself getting ripped off either. Expensive doesn't always mean better quality either.

The OP went to hairdressers in Miraflores and the couldn't cut his hair like the wanted and hairdressers in Miraflores are far from cheap. But the hairdresser in Callao will for sure cut his hair for far less and do a good job.

How do you know for sure he can't get good haircut in Miraflores?
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:50 am

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:
chi chi wrote:

Read the first post on this topic.

Yup I did. Did you?
He asked for a recommendation for a good hair cut indicating he is in miraflores/barranco, has tried a couple unsatisfactorily and is looking for a recommendation. And your recommendation is... go cheap?
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:30 am

This place might be good for you - a little more expensive than the average and you have to go to La Victoria/San Borja - but if you live near el metropolitano, there's a stop nearby. If you're a monoglot, I'm not sure how much English is spoken, though.

http://www.tomykospa.com/
randomperson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby randomperson » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:53 pm

For the record, I personally recommended this salon not because it's CHEAP as price has nothing to do with it. Venturing outside of the Miraflores/San Isidro/La Molina cocoon is where it's at.

I got married in Callao and needed to get my hair done there in order to make it to the ceremony on time. My maid of honor is a "pituca" from San Isidro who rarely ventures outside of her comfort zone. She too got her hair done there with me and mentioned it was the best cut/style she had, hands down.

While there, I happened to notice both Afro-Peruvian clientele and stylists. That's all. Was it cheaper than Miraflores? You bet! But the quality of the service and the end result were far superior.

To summarize, the gardener who meticulously and artistically sculpts the topiaries of the "gente bien" likely lives in the areas you don't normally patronize.
clewis564
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby clewis564 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:17 pm

The haircut I got in miraflores was 10 soles. The owner said she doesn't get a lot of black people in so it was good experience for her hairdresser. She wasn't satisfied with the haircut and neither was I so she said just 10 soles. Two other young ladies thought it looked fine but it grew back so need to try again. How far is Callao from barranco/miraflores?

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register