Prescription Medication in Cusco, Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
thesarlew

Prescription Medication in Cusco, Peru

Postby thesarlew » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:09 am

Hello!

I will be living in Cusco, Peru for just under seven weeks this upcoming winter. I am currently on several prescription medications, all of which can be filled with a 90 day supply except for Adderall. I was poking around a few old threads on this forum regarding psychostimulants, but figured it would be best to ask for an updated answer.

So, in light of the fact I can receive only a one month supply of Adderall here in the states (stupid New Jersey!), how can I obtain another month's supply of a psychostimulant while in Peru, Adderall or other? Does anyone have a psychiatrist to recommend in the Cusco area, or advice for me in general for this situation?

Thank you for all your help!

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Prescription Medication in Cusco, Peru

Postby caliguy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:32 am

you first need to go see a doctor or psychiatrist, and they will then prescribe the medicines for you. no problem at all. i don't live in Cusco, therefore cannot recommend a dr.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:47 pm

they have been cracking down on pharmacies lately so things you used to be able to get without a scrip, even though required, no eran muy controlada, they were not very controlled.

now it seems you have to get the scip, but my experience is there are huecos that will sell whatever, just depends on the position of the sun.

no seriously big chain pharmacies will require scrips for everything but the back alley family run botica (hueco) may just sell it to you no scrip required.
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:10 pm

Some additions to my first post....

A little background and off topic sorry. Pharmacies are big busniess here. It has been my experience that they are just as much peperos or peperas - slang for pill poppers - but sometimes also pepas are slang for strong benzos such as xanax and 10 mg diazepam, so whatever. I have heard it used in a general sense and also specifically, like the town pepero, who consumes 10 10mg diazepams a day then gets drunk and stumbles incoherently....sidetrack on slang.....as fpr pharmacies, open one up in anew urbanization, maybe if you ar lucky co-locate it with a clinic. Good biz, next thing you have two or three...yeah, it just gets better from there. I was doing some serious due dilligence in this market as well as domestic (peruvian and south american) made pharmaceuticals, careful not to say drugs, connotating something else :-)

Anyway I came across a huge list of all the drugs available in Peru according to their national formulary on the minesterio de salud website. It may be worthwhile to poke around there for an updated list. In the US they all have their trade names and there is the name of the actual drug, so you should be familiar with that.

Next about your specific issue, when you are seen by the dr it will be thier call. If it is a psych drug, go to a psycologist. May be best to do this in Lima as all the drug come from there anyway, and also for the benefit of the possibilty of finding a good clinic with an english speaking dr, if you go to cusco you may either have to order it, or just may not be able to get it. I would suggest a few more things, bring a pill bottle with you, so you can show the dr, and even have your medical records from the us, although you may need them translated.

Lastly you can import drugs to peru, but it is a last step as it is a total pain in the rear, but discuss this possibility with your current perscribing dr, also ask them what they think. I find drs are so ignorant of other countries, even in the age of the internet...social media all that jazz.

I know your drug is available but not under that name, but I do not know the perscribing protocols and they may just not give it to you. Not sure what the laws are on bringing perscription drugs into the country on the plane, but if it is that important of a drug to you, maybe best to try and stockpile a bit and just bring enoungh for your time here.

The one time i decided to import an important perscription drug i couldnt be without, here to peru it was a nightmare. I had to get a corroborating perscription from a peruvian doc, wasted almost 100 bucks there, plus the day running arpund lima, going from customs to some other building where i had to fill out forms, register with some sanitation dept etc. It was so much work, I decided never again. Since then I have found alternative therapies here in peru that, well arenot as effective as the drug, but maybe im saving my liver, who knows. Best of luck and be sure to enjoy cusco. Go to pisac and eat empenadas :-) Im not a southern peru guy, despite the majority of tourism exists there. Take care.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:37 am

vivaperusurf wrote:Some additions to my first post....

A little background and off topic sorry. Pharmacies are big busniess here. It has been my experience that they are just as much peperos or peperas - slang for pill poppers

Last I heard, peperos/peperas were the types of people who popped pills in your drinks in bars to rob you, not pill poppers.
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:19 pm

i dont want to get into some silly discussion about the context of peruvian slang, however you bring up a valid point and yes in other parts maybe it is used in that context. the people who taught me the meaning provided several contexts. not that this has anything to do with helping the OP.

i probably should not have sidetracked so as to invoke such a response from mr bernales stupid me.

1. I will keep my posts short and to the point. related to the OP and nothing else.

2. could it be possible that where you live is different from where i am? or are all words used exactly the same in all parts of peru :roll:
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:33 am

vivaperusurf wrote:i dont want to get into some silly discussion about the context of peruvian slang, however you bring up a valid point and yes in other parts maybe it is used in that context. the people who taught me the meaning provided several contexts. not that this has anything to do with helping the OP.

i probably should not have sidetracked so as to invoke such a response from mr bernales stupid me.

1. I will keep my posts short and to the point. related to the OP and nothing else.

2. could it be possible that where you live is different from where i am? or are all words used exactly the same in all parts of peru :roll:

Could well have different meanings in different places. It's definitely in the same ball park, as you say a pepa is slang for a pill. I'd heard pepear for spiking drinks, but I'd never heard pepera used in that context. Still, it makes sense. I've posted a link on slang below, which is kind of fun, if you like that kind of thing. Perhaps you are right that we are digressing from the OP's original question and should have another slang thread, but I suppose it's always useful to know the slang.

http://www.wikilengua.org/index.php/Jer ... /Per%C3%BA

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register