North Peru and Amazon.

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
AustinTx

North Peru and Amazon.

Postby AustinTx » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:06 pm

The pace will be when ever you want and I will visitalong the way I have a local Peruvian friend in Chiclayo to act as a guide there and the passenger who is going to Lima will stop.
Last edited by AustinTx on Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:31 am, edited 9 times in total.

SoNouveau

Re: Passengers wanted for trip to North Peru and Amazon.

Postby SoNouveau » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:40 pm

Just FYI--and without going into great detail--you r-e-a-l-l-y have to be careful driving on Peruvian highways. Perhaps you're more experienced than I think. But ... things can happen SO fast. It's not AT ALL like driving on highways in the States. Sooooo, just be mindful, eh?!? And, I'm all for your trip! 'Sounds great. I live in Cajamarca and I'd be tempted to join you but I already have plans for Los Organos and then venturing south to Chile for several months.

Again, just be extra, extra cautious, okay?!?

Best of luck to you!

M.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Passengers wanted for trip to North Peru and Amazon.

Postby caliguy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:50 pm

it does sound like a great trip. i have rented a Toyota Yaris and drove to Pucallpa and back to Lima. the most dangerous aspect was the large vehicles (semis and tour buses) passing on blind curves. please watch out for that! good luck and have fun on your trip :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: North Peru and Amazon.

Postby vivaperusurf » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:05 pm

ask for directions often, confirm and reconfirm. 99% of the way is de freeeeente nada mas but easy to get sidetracked. travel during the day as much as possible. fill up every chance you get. definitely fill up in chiclayo. they are improving roads here in the north and some are now even two lane. watch out for pendejos driving in the middle of the road. road tripping peru is awesome, just be prudent about speeds in the north north. and unexpected rompemuelles.

a trick, if the police try to stop you, dont pull over right away, but coast a few hundred meters past, usually they wont walk that far to try and get the arbitrary road tax.

sometimes strong winds and zonas de dunas will occur, be careful. use extreeeeeme caution in amazonas dept.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register