Lima - Tarapoto

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Lima - Tarapoto

Postby koplinfamilia » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:25 pm

We live in Lima and are axious to get out and explore, so we are thinking about driving to Tarapoto and back while seeing as much as possible along the way. There are a few alternatives for the trip but what would be the safest (we are a family of six traveling, all American/Peruvians) and have experience driving here in Peru. We want to take our time, no limits and see the most that we can, any suggestions?

Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Lima - Tarapoto

Postby caliguy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:54 pm

i would take the most traveled route, as there can be areas of road that are almost impassable. i drove to Pucallpa and back from Lima, and it was quite an experience. you will probably be passing over the Andes at some point, so you need to be prepared for that. some passengers may get light headed and a feeling of nausea and even throwing up at the higher elevations. plan a stay somewhere half way there. looks like your best bet is the 5 north.

edit: i wouldn't recommend driving at night either
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:22 am

Sounds like fun. Isn't someone here doing it right now? Route? Lima-Chiclayo-Tarapoto. The Lima-Chiclayo fine anytime. Makes sure you go Chiclayo-Tarapoto before the rainy season starts Nov-Dec, that route can get “interesting” with the rains. What to see? How long do you have? What interests you, natural or built? Tons of stuff to see.
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:55 pm

I live up here in la libertad. Wanting to get to know the north, I struck out, with a good 4x4 with the ultimate goal of reaching the selva and tarapoto, making a huge circle using only dirt roads wjerever possible.

This was a few years back so my beta may be a bit outdated. We took the road from pacasmayo to cajamarca. Spent some time there, well worth it, then onto celendin, also well worth it. Now i wish we also put in the exta effort to go to chota but......next time eh:-) from there a crazy descent into the canyon of rio maranon and eqully as crazy ascent on the other side. All types of conditions were encounterd on this part of the drive and it took a very long time just to descend and ascend the other side, mostly due to fog. Finally hitting paved road we rolled into sunny tarapoto, which got cloudy and rained every aftenoon. The return took us through moyobamba and chachapoyas well orth spending time in both places, and after some creative getting lost, how many time did we ask for directions only to get the "de frente" or just a wave of the hand, somehow made it back to chiclayo about few weeks late spent lots on gas, always had plenty of water and red bull, ran into some strange giant military checkpoints in the middle of nowhere...a bit scary for me as it says you are enetering or exiting tierra del nadie:-) brought plenty of food as somtimes services were nonexistant. Sleeping bags too....take care and get after it!
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:40 am

Yeah, these posts sounds great, but one thing, is el niño affecting these areas yet and will it?
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:01 pm

Test
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:03 pm

Every darn time i post a reply it says you must be logged in. I already logged in. I give up. Have a nice life folks
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:11 pm

yes good question...you bring up a valid point. be careful travelling in the north....might be more than you expected but for now no pasa nada.

the official govt weather agency....for more info

http://www.senamhi.gob.pe/

lets see if this post works... :mrgreen:

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register