advice or help on jobs in lima or near lima peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
guitarman1987

advice or help on jobs in lima or near lima peru

Postby guitarman1987 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:43 pm

Greetings I am currently in the United States and very interested in working for american companies or non american for that matter in or near Lima Peru. I have been there but did not get a chance to hand out resumes or look for work there. Any advice or help to go in the right direction will be appreciated. I have a bachelors degree in computers and networking along with getting certified currently in different computer certifications. I can understand and speak some spanish but realize I will have to be very fluent to survive at all there. I would accept teaching english as well to students. Again any advice would be helpful as my research continues before I move over there.

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: advice or help on jobs in lima or near lima peru

Postby Alan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:20 pm

HI,

It would be worth digging through the old posts to see if you can find advice, since this is something people have written about at length. In short, though, know that it is always more difficult for companies here to hire foreigners, due to paperwork issues. If you have a strong value proposition, they might be willing to do so, otherwise you will be left with limited options: working online for an employer back home (your skill set seems to permit this), or working informally here as a teacher or in your field. In this case, your earnings will be lower, and you will be breaking the law by working on a tourist visa which you will need to renew every 6 months tops by leaving and reentering the country.

My advice is to research foreign companies with offices in Peru from your home country. Find the contact person and try to arrange at least a telephone conversation prior to sending a resume. In my experience, work seekers in Peru are not as proactive in contacting potential employers directly, so that will give you an edge. Work Linked In, and try to get recommendations to speak, and hopefully later meet, people.

A third option, and maybe not practical for a first timer, is to set up your own company and hire yourself, and provide computer services.

Good luck.
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:56 pm

HI Gutarman 1987.

First thing, your screen name....well in case you don't know, it seems that 80´s rock/pop is "en moda" or in fashion here in Peru for now, at least from what I can tell with a lot of people. Of course this doesnt apply everywhere thanks goodness, but that alone may help you in getting some jobs :mrgreen: I dont know but ANY other year would do it for me, but the 80s - please pour some hot cooking oil in my ears now, it is less painful than listening to cindy lauper and madonna or inxs or whatever. sorry for the sidetrack.....

Tell you why I am posting here. In my former life in the states I worked IT net admin and infrastructure for about 23 yrs, since the good old days of dos, novel, even banyan ahhh anyone here remeber them? etc.

In the US I never obtained a single cert, college degree, or what have you, but worked hard - no worked my ass off - with integrity and excellent customer service - and worked my way up the corp ladder learning all aspects of the OSI stack up n down until it was an ingrained instinct. Many people here have never even heard of OSI nor do they know what it stands for. Often being a "network guy" you have to prove it is not the net that is the cause of the slow server, database, or website, etc.

I know it doesn't pay to know a little of everything and best to specialize. Pick something you like and get certified, cuz down here the piece of paper means more than your experience.

Here the minute I say anything about my prior experience working in the tech world, I get asked to hack this or that.

It is sort of sad really how unethical people can be, but not everyone, just about 98% :mrgreen:

May be good to learn some basics of security and you could stand to make some decent money. Cracking email accounts, facebook pages, and wireless networks seems to be the most popular requests. I am a person of ethics and morals and do not accept any of this chamba (slang for work) but you could do it, and probably clean up. Seriously, but just don't get caught.

Yes, one of my specialties was security due to knowing hipaa inside and out, and also I liked that aspect of networking, as you have to know everything about the net you are working on, however flawed security protocols are. Down here healthcare data is not secure in the slightest fashion unless they are a very spendy clinic, but even still...well ill keep my mouth shut but what I see, makes me want to scream!

CISSP is an excellent cert that few obtain and would probably get you some attention where the market is already saturated with microsoft and cisco "engineers" and "admins" plus you could probably stand a good chance at getting remote work in this area. familiaraize yourself with linux and its flavors too. very few linux admins.

Here there is very little security outside of most major corporations as they just do not have the budget nor the savvy to harden their infrastructure. Databases and database admin is another area, if I were going to focus on something would surely look into, as I have not come across too many people that are very savvy in this area, although all claim to know about bases de datos, they are not experts, and often this is the ultimate purpose of technology.

Everyone wants websites, and expects you to be a pro web designer, if you claim to know anything about computers. Best to brush up those skills as well.

Any certs you can obtain, even though in the states they are good for nothing more than wiping ones behind with, here they are such paper pushers here - sorry peru dont mean to be so negative but it is just a piece of paper - a cert will go a long way over experience. cert plus experience, bonus. trusted / trustworthy gringo. double bonus.

Everywhere I go I encounter gaping holes, outdated systems, even within the Peruvian govt, banks, you name it, it is ugly as far as I am concerned, although I am no hacker nor spy, it would be easy to go nuts here if one really wanted to do so.

I do encounter lots of young people these days who have taken enough online courses to have passed the exam for their CCNA - that is NETWORK ADMIN - not even engineer level, yet they know nothing about how to configure a basic router or firewall, nevermind the real deal cisco products.

That being said there are some people here who actually are smart and do know their ABCS of the OSI stack. They know what an RFC is and have studied.

There are tons of people who have obtained titles through institues or schools, online, or brick and mortar, but due to the fact this "career" is so en moda or in fashion they will do work, often shoddy and lazy, incomplete, for pennies on the dollar.

Expect any real corporation to ask for your titles and your resume in Spanish. Have it translated. Although I have no experience actually working at large corporations in Lima I have seen things that to me are just unacceptable but here everything is mas suelto - more relaxed.

Lima is the place for tech work, as in the provinces they are still in the age of paper. Things are improving but it will be many years before the age of tech really reaches all of Peru. Generally speaking infrastructure is severely lacking but they want to improve, there is a desire to rise up out of the dust.

That said, there are some pockets, some areas where this is not the case, you have to be creative, and very resourceful.

Also it is not easy to just go into a company and get a job here, they will discriminate based upon age and that you are an outsider. That being said, it may be a good Idea to look for work in the US at companies that will let you work "a la distancia" - this has been one of my many saving graces. Working remotely from Peru, with well established contacts who know and trust me.

Also with regards to your Spanish, in some respects your knowledge of English may benefit you more, try to play off that, but I would highly recommend being able to dominate their language before you can expect to get your foot in the door at any good paying IT job. That includes not just speaking, but writing and reading.

Along those lines, teach English. It sounds easy enough right. I do have my students and have had to fall back on this skill so take some time to become familiar with the basics, and also again any certification you can get will help tremendously. They look for native English speakers with certs, so that could be a start for you. Wish you the best of luck as working in Peru is just not the same as the states. There will be many tramites you will have to go through, be prepared for long waits, have lots of patience, etc. It is not the US.

For me, now instead of fixing networks, I work on other types of redes, that is fishing redes. It is much more relaxing and although hard manual labor at the end of the day, the contact with nature, that I can say my office is the ocean, I always have food and sometimes good pay depending on the day.

Now I work on different redes. Sorry for the long reply....I think there are a couple of guys here who have some experience in this sector in Lima who should also chime in, but as Alan said also searching here old posts, reading back, and just coming here to Peru and putting some effort into trying to do what you want, instead of just posting here you will learn, hopefully quick what you need.

Good luck.

[/quote]
guitarman1987 wrote:Greetings I am currently in the United States and very interested in working for american companies or non american for that matter in or near Lima Peru. I have been there but did not get a chance to hand out resumes or look for work there. Any advice or help to go in the right direction will be appreciated. I have a bachelors degree in computers and networking along with getting certified currently in different computer certifications. I can understand and speak some spanish but realize I will have to be very fluent to survive at all there. I would accept teaching english as well to students. Again any advice would be helpful as my research continues before I move over there.
guitarman1987

Postby guitarman1987 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:19 pm

Thanks for the helpful replies and taking the time to actually reply. Yes I am a very eighties person by the way but realize that we are not in that era anymore as well. I will be getting tefl certified and other certs as well before we officially move over there. There is no doubt that finding work in Lima or Peru for that matter will be quite a task but I will be up for the challenge. The advice given so far will help me focus on what to study to succeed there. Teaching english will probably be one of those jobs. When I go there on vacation I will be doing more foot work sort of speak and putting a face to the resume and certs. :mrgreen:
Tico

Postby Tico » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:41 pm

Interesting post you two, really. I can switch back and forth on both languages, nay a problem there. I also have my Carnet de Extranjeria. If you know of any companies looking for Sys Admin gringos who are legit to work please point me that way. Thanks you two...Errol

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register