Marriage documents

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
cassandra
Member
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:20 am

Marriage documents

Postby cassandra » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:28 am

Hello all,
I am going through the intense process of getting my foreign (to peru) documents in order to get married.
There are instructions posted from many peoples generous blogs,
but there is an inconsistency in about the issue date for the documents.
Some say your birth certificate etc. can be no older than 3 months, and others 6.

In your experience, which was it? How strict is it?

I am so close to the 3 month line, and its making me nervous.

Thank you!


User avatar
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Sol De La Molina

Re: Marriage documents

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:19 am

Hi. The fact is varification is quite a problem, because the various municipals have their own set of rules for this. I can only suggest you check with the registrar of the municipal where you intend to marry.
In our case it was Surquio and they required all documents no older than three months. With regard to the requirements they were available from the municipal on line.
Nei21
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:26 am

Re: Marriage documents

Postby Nei21 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:37 am

Good Morning Cassandra. Did you had to get your birth certificate legalize by the peruvian consulate in the U.S? Right now im on the process to get mine done, but in some municipalities says that the BC should be legalize by the consulate while others required to have the apostille.Same with the single status certificate,i dont now if i have to send it to the US to be apostille too. This is driving me crazy. :roll:
randomperson
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: California, Callao and San Isidro

Re: Marriage documents

Postby randomperson » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:10 pm

There seems to be some confusion regarding the duration of the validity of documents. That a document be emitted within the last 3 months only applies to the Peruvian national. Apostilled gringo documents, on the other hand, have a validity of up to ONE YEAR. This applies to every municipality.

Peruvian consulates in the USA no longer "legalize" foreign documents. Everything must be apostilled by your state's Secretary of State.

Regarding the Certificado de solteria (which is a non-existent document in the USA) this is what I did and it worked like a voodoo charm:

1) did a Google search for a blank document in Word or PDF titled Certificado de Solteria or Certificate of Non-Impediment
2) filled it out in front of a notary public here in the USA
3) submitted it to my state's Secretary of State for Apostille
cassandra
Member
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:20 am

Re: Marriage documents

Postby cassandra » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:57 am

Hello everyone,
thank you very much for your responses -- it is especially helpful hearing that 6month validity is acceptable for my foreign documents... especially because the process of getting these documents itself takes a good ~2months. I have calmed so much with that knowledge.

For me, I am Canadian, and so we do not have this convenio signed to apostalize documents in order to prove their genuineness abroad. Instead the document is first "authenticated", then, as per RREE requirements (I think its RREE that requires it?) these documents go one more time to be "legalized" through the Peruvian consulate in Canada (I will be using the Vancouver office, and hopefully mailing my documents to do so.
(I am using this information: http://www.consuladoperu.ca/vancouver/n ... firmas.asp).

I will be getting my document "authenticated" by the alberta justice (https://justice.alberta.ca/programs_ser ... ation.aspx), or through the Ottawa office http://www.international.gc.ca/departme ... x?lang=eng.

Through this ottawa office i can also get my "solteria" - but like the US, it doesn't exist in Canada, so I will get the Canadian version again: "A statement in lieu of a certificate showing non-impediment to marriage abroad" - http://www.international.gc.ca/departme ... statements

I would say though Nei21 that it is best to check with the municipality you want to marry in to see what they accept. We're in Madre de Dios, and who knows what reigns there in the jungle madness :) I hope you make it!

Hope this post helps some out there... it has helped me!
and we are closer!
PaulSal
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 2:45 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Marriage documents

Postby PaulSal » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:55 pm

randomperson wrote:Regarding the Certificado de solteria (which is a non-existent document in the USA) this is what I did and it worked like a voodoo charm:

1) did a Google search for a blank document in Word or PDF titled Certificado de Solteria or Certificate of Non-Impediment
2) filled it out in front of a notary public here in the USA
3) submitted it to my state's Secretary of State for Apostille


Washington DC has something called a "Certified Search Letter" which provides for a search if you were ever married or divorced.

Do you think this would suffice?

I'm also wondering how such a document could apply for other states? For example, if I live in Washington DC now, but 15 years ago I was married in Texas?
PaulSal
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 2:45 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Marriage documents

Postby PaulSal » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:16 pm

randomperson wrote:
Peruvian consulates in the USA no longer "legalize" foreign documents. Everything must be apostilled by your state's Secretary of State.

Regarding the Certificado de solteria (which is a non-existent document in the USA) this is what I did and it worked like a voodoo charm:


I'm reading that this can be done at the US Embassy in Lima:
https://pe.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... es-public/

Affidavit of Single Status (PDF 72 KB) (also known as Certificado de soltería)

IF this can be obtained in Lima, then an Apostile would not be needed right?
PaulSal
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 2:45 pm
Location: Washington DC

Certificado de Domicilio Marriage document

Postby PaulSal » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:17 pm

We found out that the state of San Martin requires that the Foreigner provide a Certificado de Domicilio from the city, state, country where they actually live.

Since this type of document doesn't exist very often in the United States, we were struggling with the question:
"Como sacar Certificado de Domicilio?"

Washington DC has something called the Proof of Residency Certificate:
https://dmv.dc.gov/sites/default/files/ ... 202015.pdf

The best place to start would probably be at your local DMV office.
cloutiy
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:52 am

Re: Marriage documents

Postby cloutiy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:58 am

Regarding the statement:

There seems to be some confusion regarding the duration of the validity of documents. That a document be emitted within the last 3 months only applies to the Peruvian national. Apostilled gringo documents, on the other hand, have a validity of up to ONE YEAR. This applies to every municipality.


Is there an official written reference for this somewhere? Maybe o a website?

I'm running into the same issue. We called a municipality in Lima and they said 3 months. My partner specified I was an extranjero, and the lady said igual, 3 meses.

I had all my docs ready in Feb and flight in hand. Then COVID19 and everything got cancelled. I don't want to have to go through the process once again if I don't need to. Or go and do all my docs now again only to find out they gonna extend border closures yet again and again have to redo everything.
samthesham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Re: Marriage documents

Postby samthesham » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:21 am

cloutiy wrote:Regarding the statement:

There seems to be some confusion regarding the duration of the validity of documents. That a document be emitted within the last 3 months only applies to the Peruvian national. Apostilled gringo documents, on the other hand, have a validity of up to ONE YEAR. This applies to every municipality.


Is there an official written reference for this somewhere? Maybe o a website?

I'm running into the same issue. We called a municipality in Lima and they said 3 months. My partner specified I was an extranjero, and the lady said igual, 3 meses.

I had all my docs ready in Feb and flight in hand. Then COVID19 and everything got cancelled. I don't want to have to go through the process once again if I don't need to. Or go and do all my docs now again only to find out they gonna extend border closures yet again and again have to redo everything.


They're sticklers about policies and procedures/rules and regulations.
Time to hit the reset button and start over.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Marriage documents

Postby 69roadrunner » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:33 am

Any documents you have that are over 90 days they are null and void. Like Sam says "hit the reset button".
cloutiy
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:52 am

Re: Marriage documents

Postby cloutiy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:59 am

Damn. That's a real bummer.
cloutiy
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:52 am

Re: Marriage documents

Postby cloutiy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:56 am

Does the 3 month counter begin on the date the document was issued, or the date the document was legalized by the embassy?

For example, I ordered a copy of my Birth Certificate, which was printed in Jan 2019. But I get it legalized tomorrow at the embassy. Did the 3 month counter start Jan 2019, or the date the embassy put their seal on it?

Sorry to ask, but this something I've emailed the embassy on, the municipality etc...but have yet to get clarification on.
samthesham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Re: Marriage documents

Postby samthesham » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:45 pm

cloutiy wrote:Does the 3 month counter begin on the date the document was issued, or the date the document was legalized by the embassy?

For example, I ordered a copy of my Birth Certificate, which was printed in Jan 2019. But I get it legalized tomorrow at the embassy. Did the 3 month counter start Jan 2019, or the date the embassy put their seal on it?

Sorry to ask, but this something I've emailed the embassy on, the municipality etc...but have yet to get clarification on.


Issue date, mate.
Like roadrunner says, "Any documents you have that are over 90 days they are null and void."

Return to “Expat Information”

cron

Login  •  Register