Few random questions...

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Few random questions...

Postby johnstar » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:09 pm

Hello all,

I will soon be living in Barranco, Lima for six months and i just wanted to know if there are any tennis courts available to use as i know there is a fairly large Golf Club in San Isidro....

And secondly i will be using a portable laptop pc and im aware internet services are provided by telefonica and there are also places like Starbucks to use internet, but do people generally use Wi-fi or wireless networks or isnt this so common in homes?

Many thanks

John

Seize the moment and grab the opportunity!
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:14 pm

Some apartment buildings have wifi for their buildings and many western and 4-5 star hotels do too as well as an assortment of coffee shops, you can get your own wifi service as well, of course at your home through TelMex or Telephonica. In parts of the city some people now have the option to use TelMex instead of Telefonica and they offer more options and seem to have better customer service and more reliable connections and somewhat lower prices.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:38 pm

I think people for the most part don't use their computers in public. I've been told by almost every single Peruvian I've asked this question to not use mine b/c of the fear someone might steal it when you leave and are in the street. I've never witnessed anything or anyone getting theirs stolen so who knows.

Back in the USA I'd have no problems going to a coffee shop, working with my computer, leaving it on the table and using the bathroom. I'd recommend you NOT do that here.
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby johnstar » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:05 pm

Yeah i take your point about the safety issue, but id never use my laptop in the street walking and would only use it at a cafe if i didnt have internet at home and im planning to use my portable psp to send emails from a cafe but i just wondered who were the best service providers which from your comments seem to be Telmex so that helps a lot to know thank you )
Seize the moment and grab the opportunity!
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:25 pm

I haven't had any experiences with Telmex nor have I heard of anyone that had a good one with them from a internet connection in your house perspective. Starbucks and Vivanda both have free internet. I believe San Antonio Cafe does as well. Other than that, you see random signs every once in a while.

When I say "Public" I mean using your computer in any place outside your house.

I'd recommend Telefonica for your house's internet connection only due to the extremely poor reviews I've had from others who've tried Telmex. I have telefonica and though I'm no big fan, it is at least consistent and they have a new pricing structure with "higher" "broadband" "speeds".
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:00 pm

I have had good experience with telmex, and do a search on the boards and you will see others have too.

I also see lots of people with laptops in starbucks and some of the other coffee shops.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:07 pm

In fact i will go so far as to say that I found Telmex customer service far superior, their connection speed to be faster and more reliable and their downtime to be much less, and cheaper to boot.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:59 am

Americorps, when I was looking at getting internet for my apartment about 7 or 8 months ago, I had 2 people who had telmex tell me NOT to get it, and I hasn't read any good reviews. In fact I did call them anyways and they really didn't have anything except packages for businesses and they were more expensive than telefonica with lower internet speeds.

If they've changed I'd love to hear from someone who has had a good experience as I'm no lover of Telefonica. Can you let us know a little more about their packages, prices, speeds, service, etc?
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:06 am

I had a good experience with them, read this thread and you will see I am not alone.

http://www.expatperu.com/expatforums/vi ... php?t=2278

They only have access directly to houses in some parts of the city, but that is growing with new regulations they will be in all Lima by later this year.

As I said, they had a more stable faster connection with less downtime and more responsive customer service.

This is from direct experience as having both them and telefonica provide linea fijo and internet service in a home on a personal account, not corporate..and they were cheaper than Telefonica for the higher end velocities.

http://www.telmex.com/pe/hogar/index.html
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:52 pm

It looks like their customer service is better from some of the posts, but their home prices seem a lot higher than Speedy. I can't see paying 50 or 60 soles more per month for internet speeds slower than I've got now.

What I'd LOVE to see is a broadband plan NOT requiring telephone service. That would make me very happy and I'd get rid of my home line that I hardly ever use.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register