Where, how and when to pay visa overstay fine at Lima airport

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Kit20

Where, how and when to pay visa overstay fine at Lima airport

Postby Kit20 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:18 am

HI
I have overstayed my tourist visa by 5.5 months. I have a flight home in a few days which leaves at 9am in the morning. I fly into Lima airport the day before - is there any way I can pay the $1 a day overstay fine at the airport the day before, to avoid any flight delays in the morning? If so, how would I do this?

Also, information on where to actually pay the fine, and whether it needs to be in dollars or soles, is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Where, how and when to pay visa overstay fine at Lima airport

Postby caliguy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:35 pm

i just went through this in Oct. of this year. stayed 18 days over the 120 i was given on entry. i paid the 18 USD at the airport before boarding my flight. it only takes a few minutes. to avoid any anticipated confusion, i would pay the day your flight is scheduled.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:27 pm

You pay the charge when you go through migraciones and hand in your TAM, so there's no delay, as paying the fine will just be a part of the normal process of leaving the country. There's a specific booth at the far end of migraciones which takes payments. If you want to make things speedier, just make sure you've got the exact money you owe the Peruvian government for overstaying, preferably dollars, be polite to the officials and everything should be fine. If you don't have dollars, I think they just do a calculation on the spot to work out what the charge is in soles.
Kit20

Postby Kit20 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:30 am

Thanks guys :-)
Kit20

Postby Kit20 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:20 pm

Update
Also realised I had lost my TAM, so I went to the local Migraciones office in Iquitos. Turns out that as well as replacing my TAM (14 soles) I could also sort out payment for the overstay fine there (by paying at Banco de la Nacion). Might be helpful for others to avoid any delays at Lima airport.
selenic

Postby selenic » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:30 pm

Besides the fine, do they stamp your passport when you overstay? Any consequences for your future stays?
In Thailand, for example, if you overstay more than 90 days you get a 1 year ban from the country.
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:26 pm

No they do not stamp your passport with a warning or anything special when you overstay. Pay the fee and you'll be fine. Heard of people that overstayed every trip for many trips.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:53 am

So the fee is still US$ 1 per day you overstayed?

Any idea if and / or when the new immigration law goes into effect? Or is it completely of the table?
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:04 pm

sunflower wrote:So the fee is still US$ 1 per day you overstayed?

Any idea if and / or when the new immigration law goes into effect? Or is it completely of the table?

i flew out of Lima on Nov. 17th. and overstayed by 50 days due to personal reasons. paid $50 usd. can't tell you about the new law (if and when) it's going into effect.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register