Apostille Diploma for Work Contract for Work Visa

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
CuscoCapibara

Apostille Diploma for Work Contract for Work Visa

Postby CuscoCapibara » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:45 am

Hello all! I am in the process of getting a work visa. To get my work contract with the Ministrerio de Trabajo they require an official translation of my diploma. To get this official translation I know I need an apostille diploma. As I was researching this process I found this article about the apostille process: http://www.peruthisweek.com/blogs-legal ... lle-103582 Where they say that:

"Finally, I must note that all documents should not have been issued in their country of origin more than six months prior in order to have value in Peru. For example, if you have a marriage certificate that was celebrated more than a year ago, you should ask in the Civil Registrar’s office (or corresponding office in the particular country) to issue a new certificate before proceeding with the Apostille process. The same thing applies to birth certificates and other documents that attest to a marital status, kinship, personal income, etc."

Does anyone know if this also is true for diplomas as well?? Should I ask my college to issue a new diploma?!? The current diploma I have was issued in 2013, obviously over 6 months ago. I have been given A LOT of incorrect information by the Ministerio del Trabajo and don't believe they would be able to give me a good answer on this. I was hoping someone here might know! Or at least let me know if there is someone else I could ask?

Thanks!!

ardilla
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Apostille Diploma for Work Contract for Work Visa

Postby ardilla » Sun May 01, 2016 10:04 pm

I just completed this process and the institution that was hiring insisted that the document itself could be no more than 6 months old (yes the diploma itself). Ditto for the apostille (available from your secretary of state's office in the state where the diploma was issued)

Be forewarned that in order for the diploma to be considered acceptable, in our state, the secretary of state would not put an apostille on the document until the university had notarized the diploma (they did this notarization on the back of the actual original diploma). A notary outside of a university will not suffice; it needed to be a university notary as they are the only people that can attest that the diploma is a true original.

This was a complicated and confusing process for me but it is now done. So if you have questions feel free to PM me.
CuscoCapibara

Re: Apostille Diploma for Work Contract for Work Visa

Postby CuscoCapibara » Mon May 02, 2016 7:46 am

Thanks for the info! After writing this post I contacted the translator and she explained to me that only personal documents like marriage certificates, death certificates, birth certificates, etc had to be 6 months old or newer, but that this didn't apply to diplomas. That a diploma has validity regardless of how old it is. So my university notarized a copy of my diploma and my parents got it apostilled for me. After hearing what you have to say, I am worried. I have had so many officials tell me incorect information, that I honestly do not know what to believe anymore and every foreigner I ask about the process seems to have done it a different way, which makes no sense. It should be the same documetns and process for everyone! If I run into any more problems I will ask again for more help here. Thanks!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register