Construction Cost =: Brick/Concrete vs Drywall

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
User avatar
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pimentel Beach-Chiclayo- Sanford NC
Contact:

Construction Cost =: Brick/Concrete vs Drywall

Postby tupacperu » Thu May 12, 2016 1:31 pm

Returning to Pimentel Peru Sept 2016 to retire.
I had spent $1000s in 2009 on plans for a beach home.
I recently ran across ads from contractors and viewed videos for building with drywall @ $20 per M2 in Chiclayo.
I had to jump through bureaucratic hoops just to get my plans approved in 2009, I can only imaging when I go to submit the final plans lol.

The thing that I overlooked, was to retrofit the home with drywall (interior), because it is a fairly old Casona (1 floor - 23x100 ft).
Zoning for retrofitting is not as strict as a new home from the ground up. I can also add a terrace and 2 additional floors without much hassle.

The bigger question is: Has anyone had Drywall construction done?

what is a fair estimate per M2?

Any input would be greatly appreciated


Image


hatchepsut
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:22 am

Re: Construction Cost =: Brick/Concrete vs Drywall

Postby hatchepsut » Thu May 12, 2016 5:10 pm

It looks like a nice home.

If I were you, I would knock down that ugly warehouse or whatever it is next door.
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3019
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Construction Cost =: Brick/Concrete vs Drywall

Postby Alan » Thu May 12, 2016 5:24 pm

Sorry to detract from your post. I don't have costs for drywall construction, but wonder what problems you might have if you build up two floors and cover your neighbor's windows (which never should have been included in the first place).
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
User avatar
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: Lima-13

Re: Construction Cost =: Brick/Concrete vs Drywall

Postby caliguy » Thu May 12, 2016 5:55 pm

can't give you an exact cost per square meter. i had some drywall work integrated into concrete construction in Lima. the material costs are very similar to that of home depot. instead of using wood studs, you should use aluminum. comparably, labor costs are way less than U.S.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:43 pm

Re: Construction Cost =: Brick/Concrete vs Drywall

Postby woodchuck » Fri May 13, 2016 9:02 am

I know homeowners that are in expensive litigation currently as they want to build a second story.
The adjacent building has windows on the common wall & the owners have blocked the new construction.
The owners have BRIBED the city to stop the new construction - BE VERY CAREFUL.
The new construction is to be drywall as the first floor will not support brick/mortar. :roll:
User avatar
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pimentel Beach-Chiclayo- Sanford NC
Contact:

Re: Construction Cost =: Brick/Concrete vs Drywall

Postby tupacperu » Sat May 14, 2016 1:02 am

Yes, that is a hotel next door. I have already spoken to lawyers regarding the windows. The law is that the hotel is infringing on my space. I plan to pursue it.

Thanks
User avatar
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pimentel Beach-Chiclayo- Sanford NC
Contact:

Re: Construction Cost =: Brick/Concrete vs Drywall

Postby tupacperu » Sat May 14, 2016 1:04 am

caliguy wrote:can't give you an exact cost per square meter. i had some drywall work integrated into concrete construction in Lima. the material costs are very similar to that of home depot. instead of using wood studs, you should use aluminum. comparably, labor costs are way less than U.S.

Thanks caliguy
User avatar
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pimentel Beach-Chiclayo- Sanford NC
Contact:

Re: Construction Cost =: Brick/Concrete vs Drywall

Postby tupacperu » Sat May 14, 2016 1:09 am

woodchuck wrote:I know homeowners that are in expensive litigation currently as they want to build a second story.
The adjacent building has windows on the common wall & the owners have blocked the new construction.
The owners have BRIBED the city to stop the new construction - BE VERY CAREFUL.
The new construction is to be drywall as the first floor will not support brick/mortar. :roll:

It will be metal reinforced. Already checked out contractors and looked at video of the construction
https://youtu.be/pza8bNg1_Cs
User avatar
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pimentel Beach-Chiclayo- Sanford NC
Contact:

Re: Construction Cost =: Brick/Concrete vs Drywall

Postby tupacperu » Sat May 14, 2016 1:12 am

tupacperu wrote:
woodchuck wrote:I know homeowners that are in expensive litigation currently as they want to build a second story.
The adjacent building has windows on the common wall & the owners have blocked the new construction.
The owners have BRIBED the city to stop the new construction - BE VERY CAREFUL.
The new construction is to be drywall as the first floor will not support brick/mortar. :roll:

It will be metal reinforced. Already checked out contractors and looked at video of the construction
https://youtu.be/pza8bNg1_Cs



Gut the interior, keep the facade and retrofit with steel reinforced structure. This way I can go up 3 floors, 3 floors are the zoning limit. I will keep you posted on the legal action
User avatar
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pimentel Beach-Chiclayo- Sanford NC
Contact:

Re: Construction Cost =: Brick/Concrete vs Drywall

Postby tupacperu » Sat May 14, 2016 1:15 am

Alan wrote:Sorry to detract from your post. I don't have costs for drywall construction, but wonder what problems you might have if you build up two floors and cover your neighbor's windows (which never should have been included in the first place).


I know, the arquitects said that the windows are in violation.
But I guess we will see soon as My lawyers speak to the city
User avatar
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pimentel Beach-Chiclayo- Sanford NC
Contact:

Re: Construction Cost =: Brick/Concrete vs Drywall

Postby tupacperu » Sat May 14, 2016 1:52 am

woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:43 pm

Re: Construction Cost =: Brick/Concrete vs Drywall

Postby woodchuck » Sat May 14, 2016 9:04 am

If you have spent any time in Peru you will quickly realize that what is the law & what gets enforced - are two vastly different events. If the other party has strong family connections and/or offers a BRIBE, you will be very disappointed in the out come. Best wishes & hope things work out OK. :roll:
kike
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:31 pm

Re: Construction Cost =: Brick/Concrete vs Drywall

Postby kike » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:45 pm

in some places the drywall is still not considered as conventional construction, in pimentel also I think so, recently in Lima is considering the drywall as construction system , and if in many places is menso tedious build in drywall, but always getting a good professional although there are very few good.
the cost of the drywall sq2 is about 3.5 american dollars.
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:21 pm
Location: Lima
Contact:

Re: Construction Cost =: Brick/Concrete vs Drywall

Postby goalie3443 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:52 am

I used to be a sheet rocker in the states I know my wife was about to try and add a 3rd floor on our house in Lima but the Neighbors did the typical bullshit and caused a hell of a ruckus with the city and they keep coming by to bother our family and continue trying to fine us for a multitude of BS. We have a lawyer now but the entire deal is a complete hassle and I am trying to convince her to sell and move to a more rural local as to attempt to avoid the totally corrupt poor jerks in our current neighborhood. Its totally unbelievable.

wanted to add that the cost of lumber is too great to be used for frame work in Lima but the aluminum studs are quite affordable. I have a friend there that does some of that too and another that was a stucco guy here in the states, both in lima area.

Also if anyone knows of a decent yet affordable real estate abogado in the Lima and or Rimac are please msg me I would greatly appreciate it for future projects.
Jeffe

http://mochilerosperu.wordpress.com
Peru Budget Travel and Review Blog

Return to “Expat Information”

cron

Login  •  Register