Dual-SIM phone options?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dual-SIM phone options?

Postby ironchefchris » Sat May 14, 2016 3:48 pm

Looking for opinions/suggestions on dual-SIM phones. Going to check some out later but thought I'd check here as well to see if anyone had recommendations on a specific model. Not looking for anything real fancy or the latest, like the latest #'ed Samsung Galaxy Edge or iPhone, but not the most basic either. My wife's contract is up for renewal with Claro and we want to add an RPM chip. I get more data for less S./ because I brought my pre-existing phone and qualified for a better plan, so might just buy outright somewhere else depending on what Claro's offering relative to price of plan.

gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Dual-SIM phone options?

Postby gringolandia » Mon May 16, 2016 12:14 pm

Be aware that there is a difference between "active" and "standby" dual SIM.

With active, you can make / receive calls on either SIM at any time.

With standby it is more restricted... depends on the phone exactly how restricted. But most likely you can only actually use one SIM at a time, meaning that if you make a call on one SIM, you will not be able to receive any calls on the other SIM until the first call is completed.

Also, with both active and standby there may only be one SIM that can use 4G LTE. The other may be limited to 3G or even 2G.

So just keep this in mind as you look at the options.

Samsung makes some dual SIM phones, but last I checked most of them were standby. BLU makes some dual sim active that are very cheap (but don't expect much in the way of OS updates). My guess is that Huawei may make some decent dual SIM phones, but I haven't looked into it.

Dual SIM is very popular in the Asian region, so phones that are popular over there are probably your best bet.

(The following part doesn't apply to your situation, but is general info for others looking into dual SIM)

Also, if travel to the second country is limited, consider the option of having just a single SIM phone, but getting a Skype (or similar) number for the second country. I have a Telefonica SIM for my phone in Peru, but I also have US Skype #. The Skype # just uses the Telefonica internet access on my phone and works great to receive US calls while in Peru. I do also have a US SIM, but I just keep that in storage (and suspended) until I travel to the US... then I just activate it before I leave and then pop it in my phone when I arrive.
Last edited by gringolandia on Tue May 31, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue May 17, 2016 4:16 pm

Thanks for the advice/info. None of the Claro stores I went to offered dual chip phones with a contract extension or otherwise. Entel does according to info from a newspaper ad, but I'm not sure if they'll sell you the phone and give you the "gift" of one of their chips and that's the end of your obligation or if you need to sign a contract with them. Probably the latter.

Went to the part of town with the rows of cell phone stalls and there were plenty dual Sim, but all of the same handful of makes and models. There's some phones from China that offer a lot more phone (memory, screen, features, etc.) than what you'd pay the same for here. From what I've read the quality is good as well. Phones like Huawei, Blu, Doogee, Oukitel, Lenovo, and a few others are getting good reviews. Did come across the thing about it not being as easy or sometimes even possible to upgrade the OS, but I'm fine with that as long as I can make and receive calls on the two major networks.

It all seems clear now, but having never bothered with a phone outside of my home country before I remember when I first got to Perú being confused about how the whole different networks, different numbers thing worked as far as calling other cell phones or land lines and how it related to using minutes.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed May 18, 2016 4:59 pm

Check out the one plus, https://oneplus.net/2

It would be better to order it and pick it up in the USA. My wife has the first gen one plus (not dual sim) and it is a great solid phone. Her only complaint about it is the camera is kind of lack luster but overall it cost half as much as my iphone 6 unlocked and runs much better.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register