Best place to open a basic bank account

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Best place to open a basic bank account

Postby ironchefchris » Mon May 23, 2016 10:19 am

I'm signing up for a subscription service that bases my membership based on where I'm using their product and it is far easier to open an account in Peru instead of doing my usual and relying on my US bank account as I do for PayPal, etc.. I have my Carnet, so that's not an issue.

I only plan on using this account to make an occasional deposit and for this one subscription where S/. 25 will be deducted monthly. That may change at some point, but it's all I'm interested in at this point.

Recommendations on banks and accounts? Looking to avoid a bank that imposes fees for what it is I want to do.

fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Best place to open a basic bank account

Postby fanning » Mon May 23, 2016 1:10 pm

Most banks have free accounts, in both dollars and soles. Some will have a restriction that it is only free when you have a minimum of like S/.750 or US$300 on the account.
This accounts usually are limited that you have to pay if you withdraw money from the counter. ( Using the ATM is free )
BCP has a 'Primera Cuenta BCP' which is free, in both dollars and soles, has Internet banking, a debit card and later on you can get a Lanpass credit card, which you accumulate airmiles to fly for free..
BCP is the biggest bank, so most people have an account there, so it is easier to transfer money around.
They offer 'debito automatico' for your subscription, and for example automatically pay your water and electricity bill without commission and risk to forget. Or you can pay these bills with Internet banking without commission.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Best place to open a basic bank account

Postby ironchefchris » Mon May 23, 2016 1:45 pm

Thanks for the info. Thought I'd ask here first instead of dealing with lines at the banks.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register