Professional or QUACK?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Professional or QUACK?

Postby woodchuck » Mon May 23, 2016 12:00 pm

PROFESSIONAL or QUACK?
I had not seen a dentist in 1 year, but had no pains/symptoms.
My previous dentist was on extended vacation & I went for a check-up with a dentist close by.
His office was clean & had nice equipment, but two sessions later - I had a total of 4 extractions.
When my original dentist returned, he was furious as he told me my teeth should have been OK as he had my x-rays on file.
His next question - WERE X-RAYS TAKEN & I replied - NO!
Others have told me this is a scam where these supposed dentists only do extractions.& do indeed extract good/healthy teeth to jack up the fees.
How can I report this QUACK to the authorities?
Thanks. :roll:

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Professional or QUACK?

Postby Alan » Mon May 23, 2016 7:28 pm

So sorry to hear that! I nearly had a similar experience once with a dentist who told me that I had numerous cavities and programmed 4 sessions to treat me. Based on a suggestion from my wife, I went to get a second opinion and learned I had a total of ONE.

There is a dental college here: http://www.cop.org.pe/ They might be able to help. They are an accrediting body.

Good luck.
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Mon May 23, 2016 8:40 pm

Thanks Alan.
I am trying to find out how to get this QUACK banned from posing as a dentist.
In the US, I could file a complaint with the Professional Licensing Dept., but in Peru - I don't know.
Maybe someone can help to get these unprofessionals - put out of business & maybe even arrested? :roll:
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Mon May 23, 2016 8:48 pm

i just googled "dentist pulled wrong tooth", and looks like you're a victim of dental malpractice.
there are Lawyers in Lima that handle those types of cases.
http://www.peruvianlaw.com/medical-malpractice-law/
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Tue May 24, 2016 8:30 am

Thanks Caliguy; you always provide such good info.
My issues with attorneys are that after you pay their fees & the anxiety/time involved - you never win.
Does Peru any organization similar to the Professional Licensing Boards in the US?
This QUACK is not the only one in Peru perpetrating this scam & they need to be - STOPPED.
Thanks again. :roll:
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue May 24, 2016 9:01 am

[quote="woodchuck"]Thanks Caliguy; you always provide such good info.
My issues with attorneys are that after you pay their fees & the anxiety/time involved - you never win.
Does Peru any organization similar to the Professional Licensing Boards in the US?
This QUACK is not the only one in Peru perpetrating this scam & they need to be - STOPPED.
Thanks again. :roll:[/quote

Hi.. let me mention this again, as I think you missed it. "There is a dental college here: http://www.cop.org.pe/ They might be able to help. They are an accrediting body." I'd start with those guys, but having a lawyer interface might be worth a try. Who knows what side the college would be on: yours, or the dentists.
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Tue May 24, 2016 12:29 pm

The college would have to be on - MY SIDE, as my previous x-rays of 1 year showed no problems.
Yes, I will contact the college & see if they can help with some issues from the extractions.
I want to make sure this dentist/QUACK doesn't scan any other people.
I wish I knew what government agency to file a complaint with. Thanks. :roll:
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Fri May 27, 2016 12:03 pm

Thanks to all that have posted here and sent me PM's.
I have decided to forgo any further action in this matter for these reasons:

1. When I was at an interview meeting at Idecopi with the dentist, he made threats to me & my gf.
He said - If you continue this matter, you will be sorry. Also made a slashing motion across his throat which is recognized as a sign of hurt/death.

2. I am not scared of this - QUACK, but my gf is & she is literally scared he or some thugs will hurt us as he has our exact address - which is required for Indecopi complaints.

3. I am saddened that I have lost 4 teeth that can't be replaced, w/o expensive implants.

4. I am even more saddened that the interviewer at Indecopi allowed these threats to be voiced & made no effort to tell the QUACK this was not acceptable behavior. In the US, this person would have be subject to arrest/fines or at least before a judge for making - terroristic threats, etc.

Yes, I am out $400 for 4 extractions & no crowns, but I want to live a peaceful life here in Peru with my gf.
I hope whomever is the new president, they will look into the actions/disrespect a few people have for Indecopi & make some changes. I am not saying this is a common event at Indecopi, but it happened to me.

Thank you for reading & your support. Best wishes. :roll:
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Fri May 27, 2016 12:32 pm

All it takes for evil to win is for good people to do nothing.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri May 27, 2016 12:47 pm

woodchuck wrote:Thanks to all that have posted here and sent me PM's.
I have decided to forgo any further action in this matter for these reasons:

1. When I was at an interview meeting at Idecopi with the dentist, he made threats to me & my gf.

woodchuck wrote:Good Morning,

I have my BS degree in Education from a US university & teaching experience in the States. My Peruvian wife understands basic English, but would like to have a better command of the language.

Wife and a g.f.... I know it happens, but is what would appear to be adultery legal in Perú?
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri May 27, 2016 3:47 pm

Maybe chuck meant ex-wife, or uses the terms g.f. and wife interchangeably, as if he feels the g.f. is his "wife" or may as well be but for the legal paperwork? Not really my business, meant no offense, just thought I remembered mention of a Peruvian wife and saw mention of a g.f. and made what I hope was taken as a harmless joke because of the different words used for who I hope is the same person.

Also, that's terrible what happened as far as having healthy teeth extracted and the whole Indecopi experience that followed. I guess it just takes an extra layer of caution to live in Perú since there isn't as much oversight and safety nets as there is in the US. Hope everything works out.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Fri May 27, 2016 5:55 pm

Way OFF-TOPIC here, but the mystery is solved.

My divorce was to be legal, but at the very last hour - she wanted a better settlement.
Got used to referring to my gf as my - wife; as we had plans to marry immediately after.
Still trying to settle the divorce & get married, but technically have a gf. Thanks. :roll:
PS - it seems some people have too much time on their hands...
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Sat May 28, 2016 10:43 am

Postby gringolandia » Fri May 27, 2016 12:32 pm

All it takes for evil to win is for good people to do nothing.

I am hoping you will clarify your recent post - as above.

You obviously don't know the complete story as it was 18 months after the unnecessary extractions that I decided to file a complaint with Indecopi. During this time, there were third-party threats made & harassment. Also, the dentist tried to bribe the local police to charge me with - something, but this strategy didn't work as I had done nothing wrong except demand a Libro de Reclamaciones - which he refused.

I consider myself a - GOOD PERSON, but I am here in Peru. Every political poll states the people are tired of the corruption & this needs to change with a new president. I feel I have done my part in getting the process started as my statement of threats at Indecopi is supposedly included in the record, so this QUACK will not try this tactic with other people. This is to protect you & everyone else in Peru.

If you need more info, please send me a PM. Thanks. :roll:
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue May 31, 2016 6:31 pm

I thought it was self-explanatory but you seem to have taken it the wrong way so I'll expound:

In the saying that I (mis)quoted, you play the role of the good person, and the question is whether you carry on the fight or back down from threats.

So I'm saying that evil wins if good people like you back down and let evil win.

(Whether or not you are actually a good person is irrelevant, I suppose. How the hell am I to know and who am I to judge you?)

The actual quote, is "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

When I've run into similar situations I haven't backed down, nor will I in the future. I see it as my duty not to fight the good fight, but perhaps I'm a bit nutty that way. If I were to fight and get to the highest levels and still lose... well, at that point I guess I'd give up and leave Peru.

I can say that a friend of my wife's whose son was arrested on trumped up charges (so they could be bribed) fought it and managed to get the entire police station raided and multiple officers arrested... so there are people at high enough levels in Peru who will do the right thing. It just takes a while to find them sometimes.

Another time we had the local police coming to back up some construction mafia thugs who were hanging out at the entrance to our beach trying to get the workers coming in to pay bribes. We called the police in Lima that deal with terrorism and they came all the way out and set the local police straight and we've had no more trouble from the mafia thugs or their bought and paid for local police.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:23 am

Thanks for your explanation.
Peru needs more people like you!
My gf is again at the hospital as she has been experiencing heart palpitations & pain in her left leg.
As a layman, this seems to be signs of a potential heart attack.
I am just like you that I don't scare easily, but now my future wife is involved. Best wishes. :roll:
PS - sorry for any misunderstanding...

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register