Getting my African American type hair styled

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
tianamortiz

Getting my African American type hair styled

Postby tianamortiz » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:02 pm

Greetings everyone, I am a recent transplant from New York and I must say I have fallen in love with Lima. However I have run into a big of an issue when it comes to getting my hair styled. I have médium length thick tightly coiled curls, and have gone to several salons which seem as if they can do nothing for me. Stores in San Borja and Miraflores dont seem to carry stlying products for my hair, and trying to get box braids has been a joke.

Does anyone at all know of a place I can get my hair washed and styled without it turning into a complete disaster...I am losing my mind here. Side note, I went outside with my hair freshly washed in an afro and proceeded to nearly cause a car accident from the driving staring at me instead of the road...is this a normal reaction...I know a question mark belongs here but I cant find it on this spanish keyboard.

bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Getting my African American type hair styled

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:13 pm

tianamortiz wrote:Greetings everyone, I am a recent transplant from New York and I must say I have fallen in love with Lima. However I have run into a big of an issue when it comes to getting my hair styled. I have médium length thick tightly coiled curls, and have gone to several salons which seem as if they can do nothing for me. Stores in San Borja and Miraflores dont seem to carry stlying products for my hair, and trying to get box braids has been a joke.

Does anyone at all know of a place I can get my hair washed and styled without it turning into a complete disaster...I am losing my mind here. Side note, I went outside with my hair freshly washed in an afro and proceeded to nearly cause a car accident from the driving staring at me instead of the road...is this a normal reaction...I know a question mark belongs here but I cant find it on this spanish keyboard.

Have you tried getting it straightened instead?
Too bad you're not in Chincha, lots of places there.
Large and in charge!
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:40 pm

Maybe this Dominican hair stylist knows how to do or another dominican they have expertise in hair styles.

https://es-la.facebook.com/KuchiFarriel/
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:43 pm

Try Callao, near the airport. There is a Heavy Afro-Peruvian community there.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:07 pm

Here is a FB group with mostly Afro-Peruvians. May want to join and get some info

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1375196712808674/
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:11 pm

victmanu wrote:Maybe this Dominican hair stylist knows how to do or another dominican they have expertise in hair styles.

https://es-la.facebook.com/KuchiFarriel/

Excellent find. My wife only uses dominicas in the US
MJoyLaufer
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby MJoyLaufer » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:03 am

Hi Tiana,

Welcome to Lima! I actually just ended up chopping off my hair, the humidity, etc. So I don't have any advice, sorry. I can't say people have stopped and stared at me, but someone actually grabbed my hair in a minibus. That was unpleasant. I hope you found some luck!

Best,
M
TruveLove

Postby TruveLove » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:10 pm

Blessings Goddess Tiana,

I pray you are AMAZING!!! I too am a Nubian Goddess and can truly understand the challenge that comes with traveling and hair care. I do braiding (Box Braids) and believe I can be of service to you.

My husband and I will be transplanting ourselves to Peru, Mira Flores area late December. I would love an opportunity to braid for you if you’ve yet to find a trusted braider.

If you need hair I would be glad to bring it with me from Las Vegas to save you the trouble of having to order online or find it there.

Please feel free to in box me.

Love Jordan

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register