Oktoberfest / Beer Festivals in Lima and Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oktoberfest / Beer Festivals in Lima and Peru

Postby sunflower » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:14 am

A few years back there were quite a few different Oktoberfests in Lima and Peru. When I remember correctly there was the “original” Lima Oktoberfest Peru Cusqueña , then the Oktoberfestival in Miraflores, the small ACAP Oktoberfest at Treff, an Oktoberfest in Cusco, Arequipa and Pozuzo, the Fiesta de la Cerveza Artesanal held in October.

And this year??? The only one I’m finding at the moment is the Oktoberfest Peru 2016 Cusqueña. Any ideas of others in Lima or other cities in Peru? Any suggestions where I can find infos?

Thanks a lot!

bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Oktoberfest / Beer Festivals in Lima and Peru

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:57 pm

I guess this begs the question, "Why the dropoff of the number of festivals"?
Poor attendance?
Not much money to be made by the organizers therefore no reason to have one?
Large and in charge!
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:16 pm

bigdaddy wrote:I guess this begs the question, "Why the dropoff of the number of festivals"?
Poor attendance?

I have found Peruvians not to be big drinkers. All parties and gatherings I have been to they pass around this little glass and everyone pours from a pint bottle and drink little sips and hoot and holler like it is 100 year old Scotch.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:52 pm

69roadrunner wrote:
bigdaddy wrote:I guess this begs the question, "Why the dropoff of the number of festivals"?
Poor attendance?

I have found Peruvians not to be big drinkers. All parties and gatherings I have been to they pass around this little glass and everyone pours from a pint bottle and drink little sips and hoot and holler like it is 100 year old Scotch.

Yeah I have never understood the etiquette of that passing the glass stuff. These Peruvians guys pour not much more than a swallow into the glass. The glass can handle much more than that. I am thirsty and I want a satisfying gulp. Is it tabu to fill the glass?
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:18 am

Craft beers aren't exactly cheap in Peru is the problem, so i can't see there being a big enough market to sustain all these beer festivals. Plus I don't know if it is that Peruvians aren't big drinkers or if people don't have the same amount of disposable income as other countries. When you go out to a bar in Lima people will make a drink as long as possible. Saying that i don't know a single person in my in-laws who drinks except the odd glass of wine.

I know craft beers are only taking off here recently but 17 soles for a small bottle is expensive, I'm currently paying £1.70 for the local craft beer back home and that's for a pint!
Tracyrteach
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Tracyrteach » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:04 pm

Hi guys,
I am one of the founders of the craft beer association in Peru and one of the owners of Cerveza Teach. It appears we need to do more marketing to the expat population. We had a CraftBeer festival in Barranco the second weekend of August and we had enormous success with one long bar of 26 taps in Mistura. We are celebrating the first Lima Beer Week in conjunction with Berlin Beer Week, Paris Beer Week, and Los Angeles Beer Week. Activities are starting Friday the 14th and running through Sunday the 23rd. There are nearly 40 activities taking place around Lima. We organize a craft brewery tour which is taking place Saturday the 15th. More detailed information is available on Cerveza Teach Facebook.
There is another craft beer festival taking place in Huaraz on November 5th, Pachacamac November 19-20 and we are trying to lock in a venue at el Derby by Jockey for the largest craft beer festival December 8-10. Hopefully we'll see you at some of these events.
Cheers!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register