La Punta and Chosica

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
wypeck

La Punta and Chosica

Postby wypeck » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:25 pm

My wife is from Miraflores. We have visited Peru numerous times over the years, including to La Punta and Chosica. We had thought we would like to retire in La Punta. However, my wife's family is telling her (as of 2016) that Callao has become very dangerous to even travel through on the way to La Punta. I wold think that if you used reasonable caution, it should not be a problem. Can anyone give me recent views on living as an expat in La Punta, including home prices, security in La Punta, and security traveling to and from La Punta? While I am at it, similar information on Chosica would be appreciated.

Ciberdoc

Re: La Punta and Chosica

Postby Ciberdoc » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:48 pm

Callao has always been a dangerous place, but La Punta is a very quiet district. Miraflores is by far more dangerous than La Punta nowadays..
:arrow: Medicine in cyberspace
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:01 pm

Hola wypeck

la Punta, as a neighborhood, is not that bad and cannot be compared to other parts of Callao which have a bad reputation due to high crime.
However, it has several other disadvantages which would lead my choice to other local destinations in Lima:

LP1:
First of all, La Punta is not tsunami safe!
LP2:
Indeed, to arrive to La Punta or to leave La Punta, you may have to travel through some not that safe areas.
LP3:
And this is the most important for me: If it is not summer in Lima, you are 7 to 9 month in foggy and very moist weather in La Punta.

I live in Chosica, and though I would not recommend it to everybody, it has some really nice advantages:
CH1:
350 days of SUN through the year and a dry climate! Yes, THIS makes a good mood!
CH2:
Though traffic increases considerably on the Carretera Central, Chosica still is a "quite" town, i.e. there is not much crime.
CH3:
You even have a Metro and a Plaza Vea. Hey, not that bad!
CH4:
There is a sufficient number of hospitals and doctors in Chosica, so you are not completly lost.

Disadvantages in Chosica:
Getting to Lima takes about 1 to 1,5 hours if there is a lot of traffic.
(So, I seldom travel to Lima...I get most what I need in Chosica)
Since many people noticed during the last years that Chosica is a nice place to live, prices of real estate increased terribly!
In February or March huaycos (landslips) can occur. Then, the carretera may be closed for some days.

If you do not have to work in Lima, then my personal choice would be Chosica.
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:37 am

GRINGUITO you got it right! Couln't say it better.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register