Laptop to Lima

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
cajundave67

Laptop to Lima

Postby cajundave67 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:20 pm

Does anyone know of good personal couriers coming into Lima from the US? I left my daughter my Macbook Air for her to finish up her last year at UT with. Now she's finished and got married and I need/want my Macbook... It's used, it's my personal property, and when/if I ever do leave Peru, it would go home with me. I have spoken to a few different courier companies and the problem comes with the IGV and Perception taxes. I do not feel I should have to pay 24% of the current ebay value for my personal laptop that if I brought with me when I flew in would have caused nary a problem. Currently eBay lists used Macbook Airs for between S/3000 to S/5000 soles. At 24% IGV, well, that is just ridiculous. More or less S/.1000 in taxes on a personal item of mine from the states? I know there are companies or people that just fly to Miami, pick things up, and fly back on a personal level as a business. does anyone know any to recommend or have any suggestions on how to get my laptop from my daughter here without paying over 1000 soles? Thanks.....

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Laptop to Lima

Postby Alan » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:34 pm

Hi...

Is the laptop in Toronto?
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:39 pm

What about just regular couriers that also handle mail?
Thus could be a good business as FedEx & DHL are quite expensive.
Best wishes & thanks. :roll:
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:56 pm

Like Alan suggested (more or less), send it along with a forum member travelling. It will cost you a nice bottle of wine or pisco.

I would not trust any of the local courier companies with my laptop
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:03 pm

Why do forum members not offer their services more?
Alan placed a "sticky" in one forum where travelers back & forth to the US could co-ordinate.
There has been virtually no offers to help; why is this - please?
Thanks. :roll:
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:03 pm

woodchuck wrote:Why do forum members not offer their services more?
Alan placed a "sticky" in one forum where travelers back & forth to the US could co-ordinate.

Woodchuck I am sorry, but like many others we travel out of the country with one bag each, but on our return we always bring two bags, stuffed to the gunwales for friends and family. Leaving very little room for additional items.
Could I ask you a question? Would you entrust an expensive item such as a laptop to a stranger in the street, or even a nameless entity, only known by a handle, that may have even secretly changed within the same forum / Blogg? I am sure I would have to take a guess as to the trustworthiness of Mr / Mrs / Ms Woodchuck / A N Other, if you catch my drift.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:05 am

When I used to return to the US on a regular basis; I always found room for an expats "things".
Of course you don't trust a complete stranger; but if you have interacted with the person for months - you have a good idea of what their true character is.
Thanks for sharing. :roll:
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:16 am

I actually removed the sticky a week ago for lack of movement.
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:32 am

adrian Thorne wrote:
woodchuck wrote:Why do forum members not offer their services more?

Woodchuck I am sorry, but like many others we travel out of the country with one bag each, but on our return we always bring two bags, stuffed to the gunwales for friends and family. Leaving very little room for additional items.
Could I ask you a question? Would you entrust an expensive item such as a laptop to a stranger in the street, or even a nameless entity, only known by a handle, that may have even secretly changed within the same forum / Blogg? I am sure I would have to take a guess as to the trustworthiness of Mr / Mrs / Ms Woodchuck / A N Other, if you catch my drift.

We went up last month (Christmas shopping) and encountered the same problem (luggage restrictions). We brought one extra bag and had to be careful due to weight restrictions. Did manage to get a laptop,PS4, video games, Elmo doll and children's clothes and toy's, 4 pairs of sneakers and a few handbags.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:00 pm

My last trip back from the states I had to shuffle things from one suitcase to another at the airport in order to get both to weigh no more than 50 kilos. I had not one square centimeter or a single gram to spare and had an overweight carry-on and a large camera bag the nice airline counter person overlooked.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:30 pm

My wife went to the States last month on a shopping trip. She left with a half full large case, plus a second case inside. When she arrived back to Lima, both cases were over weight and I am facing an excess charge on my card. It is a shame to have so many restrictions in Peru, forcing us to buy cheap Chinese goods, or paying excessive amounts for slightly better quality. The only alternative is to keep an eye open for the flight deals.

Another issue in question is I would not like the responsibility of another persons expensive item, which could get damaged in transit.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:43 am

adrian Thorne wrote:My wife went to the States last month on a shopping trip. She left with a half full large case, plus a second case inside. When she arrived back to Lima, both cases were over weight and I am facing an excess charge on my card. It is a shame to have so many restrictions in Peru, forcing us to buy cheap Chinese goods, or paying excessive amounts for slightly better quality. The only alternative is to keep an eye open for the flight deals.

Another issue in question is I would not like the responsibility of another persons expensive item, which could get damaged in transit.

News flash!!!!! Everything is from China.
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:46 am

We're talking laptop here, boys.
It ain't like he's asking to bring back a bbq grill.
Large and in charge!
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:34 pm

I live my life by the "Golden Rule".
If I incurred an extra expense to bring back items to Peru; this wouldn't be an issue for me.
I don't place a "price" on friendship & doing an expat a favor; I am saddened to realize that others do.
Alan, you were correct to remove the "sticky"; I am disappointed with most of my fellow expats. :roll:

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register